Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave's VS AL/ALX/Charge's Frame

id Offline Paperclip

Wave's VS AL/ALX/Charge's Frame
on: June 18, 2011, 03:37:56 PM
I think I've heard someone/some people said that Wave's frame is stronger but I don't remember why. I just got a Wave and have taken a good look at it. Based on my observation of my wave and charge pics from the internet (I don't have a charge/al/alx), I think charge's frame is stronger because of the design.

1. The folded metal parts which cover the outside opening implements on the Wave don't bear load except from your hand when you're gripping the MT. Actually they do have a part because the outside tools rest on them when deployed.
2. The charge's covers act as bridges that help the main frame to transfer any "lateral" force (i.e. when you're bending the knife side to side) from one end/joint to the whole frame. This could theoretically make the joints and the whole MT stronger though I'm not sure how significant it is.
3. If you bend the folding metal cover on the Wave, you'll have a hard time straightening it, while on the charge you can take the bent cover off and then straighten it.

One thing though, I don't know how/where the outside opening implements rest on the charge/al/alx when deployed. It's good enough on the wave.

What do you think about my opinion?

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Re: Wave's VS AL/ALX/Charge's Frame
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 04:43:26 PM
I believe their inner frame is very similar, if not identical. And the outer portion is a bit different because the Charges have those Alu/Ti scales, which obviously add some strength.
Whereas the Wave only has those small steel "pockets" to keep the outside tools in.

My point is, they are both strong enough for me, and I have never heard of an instance where the main body bent under too much force.
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

id Offline Paperclip

Re: Wave's VS AL/ALX/Charge's Frame
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 04:55:19 PM
I believe their inner frame is very similar, if not identical. And the outer portion is a bit different because the Charges have those Alu/Ti scales, which obviously add some strength.
Whereas the Wave only has those small steel "pockets" to keep the outside tools in.

My point is, they are both strong enough for me, and I have never heard of an instance where the main body bent under too much force.

True, three, and I'm aware about the inner "frame".

This thread is just for academic/curiosity purpose only because I'm sure both frames are strong enough :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%