Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Flux

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
CRKT Flux
on: June 19, 2011, 12:14:25 PM
One of the most creative sets I've come across so far comes from CRKT ID Works laboratory and it’s called Flux. CRK Flux is a modular tool created by Launce Barber and Tom Stokes. Flux modular system consists of several parts; the main part of it is a light aluminum chassis with two rails, or optionally with one and carabineer. The frame with two rails, which is more common and can be mounted with two tools. The modular Flux tools are:

1.   Liner lock knife, OHO w/pocket clip
2.   Bit holder with several interchangeable bits and LED lamp
3.   2GB USB Flash Drive with enclosure for the micro SD card
4.   Wine Tool for opening bottles of wine and other beverage
5.   LED lamp with two LED emiters

This modular system can be purchased individually, but you can get it in several prebuilt options offered by CRKT:

1.   CRKT Flux Go-Work
a. Double chassis
b. Knife
c. Carrier bits (bit kit)
2.   CRKT Flux Go-Play
a. Double chassis
b. LED Lamp
c. Wine Tool
3.   CRKT Flux Go-Nerd
a. Double chassis
b. USB drive
c. Carrier bits (bit kit)

If you choose to buy all the tools of a modular CRKT has also offered carry pouch where all of them fit tightly and neat.

For more information on all parts and possible options, see the official page here http://www.crkt.com/idworksflux CRKT Flux

What I have had the pleasure to test and use the kit CRKT Flux Go-Work. This package consists of g a knife with liner lock, OHO and pocket clip.

The characteristics of the blade are:
- Length open 108mm
- Weight 105g
- 57mm blade length
- Steel 7Cr17
- Hardness: 57-59 HRC

Blade is made in the so-called high hollow grind and it’s clip point. Handles are made of Zytel-which is a type of fiber-reinforced plastic. One hand opening is made with spine disc, a small disc with jimpings mounted on the blade spine.

The second part mounted to the chassis is Flux Driver bit holder. Holder has the option to use bits in a linear or T shape, and it uses standard two ¼ "bracket, one in the direction of the handle and the other at 90 degrees so that, depending on the needs and desires can be used in two ways. Flux driver has also provided housing in Zytel handle that contains space for three ¼ "standard bits. Flux comes with two standard flat and one philips bit. In addition to this tool is also a small LED light so you can highlight the part you work, making it ideal for inaccessible places with low light.

All in all a very interesting and unique concept, and Go-Work pack prooved to be very usefull in various situations.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: CRKT Flux
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 02:13:06 PM
I'd like to see CRKT support this concept more with some new components- otherwise I'm concerned this concept is going to be as effective and long lived as Coleman's ProLock.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 04:18:32 PM
Yup, they need to do that!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 11:58:04 PM
I agree. I hope they come out with more modules.

Here is a photo I was going to post elsewhere.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 01:08:21 AM
I love the concept but I do feel the modules need to be a bit more 'tool dense' IMO.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 01:43:07 AM
Thanks for the great write up and photos edcgear! :tu: :tu:

I love the concept but I do feel the modules need to be a bit more 'tool dense' IMO.

Same here. :-\ The assembly below for instance is pretty darn big and unwieldy, yet it only has a knife, a screwdriver, and an led light.

(Image removed from quote.)

You could have all those same features in a Guppie, which is a much smaller unit, and get an adjustable wrench to boot. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 01:57:58 AM
That is definitely true, it is a bit unwieldy at best. The tool does come into its own if you slide one module off the bracket and leave the rest hanging off a belt loop...but then again, it is still a bit large hanging off your belt, and does get in the way.

The Flux has a lot of potential, it just isn't there yet. I would love to see a lot of specialized modules, such as fishing, hunting, camping, watch repair, etc.

Does anyone know if the Flux is selling in any numbers? That is what happened to the Coleman ProLock. A great concept but never given a chance to succeed.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:14:15 AM
I don't know the sales numbers, but I did hear a rumor that CRKT is not real enthusiastic about pursuing any additional niche modules. :(

Def might have more info on this matter though. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:13:57 PM
I don't know the sales numbers, but I did hear a rumor that CRKT is not real enthusiastic about pursuing any additional niche modules. :(

Def might have more info on this matter though. :salute:

That's about all I know on the subject too.  I do know there were some proposals from Tom Stokes and another CRKT designer for new components, but CRKT hasn't gone for them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 11:55:38 PM
I do appropriate how the blade is PE. I feel often the new designs get CE for no real reason (Spirit, Fit, Wingman/Sidekick until they came to their senses, and so on).

Offline ksho7471

Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 12:02:05 PM
I got the CRKT flux wine tool for work and I'm really disappointed in it :(
It does not open one handed even with thumb studs because the cork screw was in the way, I wouldn't bought it if I knew that...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%