Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Harbor Freight Eight Drawer Wood Tool Chest (very pic heavy)

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
I've been wanting a Machinist Chest for some time, but I could never justify spending the money required to buy one. Then I happened across this little beauty while Googling around on Easter day:

It had some good reviews on Amazon, a list price of $99.99, is almost always on sale for $79.99, and HF had an Easter day sale of %25 off the sale price of one item. So I took the chance. (Please forgive the iPod pictures, my daughter had the camera at the time.)

Here it is as it arrived, shipped in the box that they display it in on the shelves at HF. Not a bad thing in itself, but doesn't offer the best protection (as you'll see later on):

Unpacked, I found it to be sealed air tight with several moisture adsorbing packets in some of the drawers:

After unwrapping it, I gave it a thorough look over, and found one small manufacturing defect in the frame between the drawers. Nothing major, just a blemish you have to look for:

There was also a shipping damage spot on a rear corner, where the box had been hit (Of the reviews that I had read on it, the shipping box was really the only bad thing anyone had to say about the whole chest):

The all wood box is quite attractive (the drawer bottoms are composite material), it's light colored, with almost all the construction being either tongue and groove, or glue and nail with the holes filled neatly. The center of the work area, the top section, and the drawer bottoms are all felt lined:

Drawer cover / work area open:

Lid up, with the protective film still on the mirror:

Film removed from the very attractive metal framed glass mirror:

Front again with a little less glare:

Solid wood inside and out:

Tag on the work area:

Three stop hinges on the lid, seem small, but work quite well:

One issue that I noticed is that when resting on a table that the work area is slightly angled due to construction design. I'm thinking about maybe adding some feet to the outside corners of the work area to level it (notice the metal comer protector, there's one on each of the eight corners):

The work area tucks away about %75 as needed:

The only area where I found "assembly line style" construction were the staples on inside edge of the drawer bottoms:

Drawers opened slightly:

Two sets of keys, cabinet lock for the lid, and a tumbler lock for the drawer cover / work area:

All the drawers are removable, with tongue and groove style slides. Here is one of the small drawers, only the top two have dividers, which are wood, and individually removable:

The same drawer with some Vic Classics and LM's:

One of the bottom drawers, holds 10 sheathed Core's nicely:

Pros:
  • Wood construction
  • Built extremely well
  • Lots of storage
  • Removable drawers
  • Great price
  • Attractive piece of furniture
Cons:
  • Poor packaging for shipping
  • Staples on inside edge drawer bottoms
  • Slight angle to the work surface
  • Would like more dividers, but for the price I can't complain
Overall verdict? I love it, and will probably get another one when this one is full. :2tu:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:51:27 AM by turnsouth »
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Thanks for the review and pics!   :cheers:

I like it and the price is good but I'm on the fence about ordering it online.  Shipping cost to Canada will be high and as you mentioned, it may not arrive in mint condition.

I might try looking for one locally first.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon

They usually stock them in all the stores, so you could pick one up over by Buffalo.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
They usually stock them in all the stores, so you could pick one up over by Buffalo.

That's a good idea.  :tu:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
turnsouth,

Good review bud. For the money they do make for a nice hobby chest. I got one of these a couple years ago. Mine had a few shipping "blemishes" on it as well but nothing major. Although in my case I wasn't as careful as I should have been while unpacking and dropped mine.....took a chunk of wood right out of the front of the thing right below the center latch for the top lid.

Still does the job, just not as nice as it was before I dropped it!

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Something like that would cost at least a couple $100 in Oz  :( :( :(.

That looks a GREAT buy for the $ mate  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8).

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon

I took a look at the US postal calculator, and it looks like the box just fits under the maximum size and weight of a standard Priority Mail package, which would be around $30.00. (and I think that import duty is still free in Oz under $1000, isn't it?). That would put you at about 1/2 the local price.

If you're interested you might want to contact Harbor Freight and see what they can do. :tu:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.

I took a look at the US postal calculator, and it looks like the box just fits under the maximum size and weight of a standard Priority Mail package, which would be around $30.00. (and I think that import duty is still free in Oz under $1000, isn't it?). That would put you at about 1/2 the local price.

If you're interested you might want to contact Harbor Freight and see what they can do. :tu:

Thanks mate I will keep that in mind  :cheers: :cheers:.
I have stopped myself buying old hatchet/hammer MTs from the US as the postage is a bit too high(they are heavy buggers) , I am REALLY surprised about the $30 figure . Maybe next year post holiday  :think: :think: :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon

Good review bud...

2xTap
Thanks  :cheers:

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
im tempted to try and make one after seeing these pics...

hmmm  :think:
I

us Offline Bruce909

Re: Harbor Freight Eight Drawer Wood Tool Chest (very pic heavy)
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 06:24:47 AM
Hi Ryan,

If you want to see how the real wood tool chests are made take a look at the video on the Gerstner website. 
http://www.gerstnerusa.com/index.html

And take a look at the custom products tab....the "Towering" chest would be very hard to fill with multitools.

If you decide to build one make sure the drawers have ears on them that allow you to fully open the drawer without it falling out.  The drawers also have a zinc coated metal bottom covered with felt and this prevents your tools from corroding. 

Do a search on ebay for Gerstner and sort highest priced to lowest...there is a roll away that is spectacular with a price to match.   Take a look at this chest:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gerstner-W62-walnut-machinists-tool-box-never-used-/120738653471?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1c95a51f

the ears on the drawers extend back about an inch and the slots shown in top compartment (4th pic) go all the way to the bottom of the chest...felt lined all the way.  If I was going to make a chest I would combine the width of the drawers and make a single wider slot in the top compartment so I could put a file folder pouch or something in that area to store papers etc.

I did see a few good deals on Gerstner's on ebay the Gerstner International chests are make in China but the quality is pretty good....maybe they will drop ship to OZ there are a couple of very nice hobby chests by Gerstner. 

Bruce

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 09:56:47 PM
If you want to see how the real wood tool chests are made...

A Gerstner is a wonderful thing. My father-in-law has one he got form his father-in-law, who was a machinist for Ford, and even with the stains from 30 years of factory grime on it, it is still beautiful.

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Harbor Freight Eight Drawer Wood Tool Chest (very pic heavy)
Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 09:31:56 AM
Thanks for the review and pics!   :cheers:

I like it and the price is good but I'm on the fence about ordering it online.  Shipping cost to Canada will be high and as you mentioned, it may not arrive in mint condition.

If you have a local Princess Auto, I found a shipment of them for $80. Different finish but identical in build n
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 04:54:32 PM
If you have a local Princess Auto, I found a shipment of them for $80. Different finish but identical in build n

The only Princess Auto near me is about an 1 1/2 hour drive away and they're out of stock. :(  I was going to order from their website but they're out of stock too.   >:(  I'm hoping they'll re-stock this item because I really want one.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%