Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why does Spirit have no blade play but swisstool does??.

us Offline mashguy4077

This has got me curious. Every swisstool I have ever had or played with has had blade play. I have also read of other peoples issues with the blade play on the swisstool. But the spirits that I have had, had no blade play whatsoever and I have also heard of other people with spirits that had no blade play.

Is it a design difference that makes the spirit have no blade play?. Will victorinox redo there swisstool to that design of the spirit to get rid of the blade play?.

I know it doesnt hurt the function of the tool but it is so much nicer when the tool has no play in it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Why does Spirit have no blade play but swisstool does??.
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:42:09 PM
My swisstool does not seem to have any, significant/noticeable bladeplay; do you have up and down or side to side play? Mine of course is a safe queen.... or king..  :)
I assume some up and down play could be possible, the locks are not really heavy duty (neither are the locks on other multitools I have), more designed as a safety feature, rather than to allow stabbing things, just like in most Swiss army knives.

All I can think is that since the swisstool is a heavier use /abuse tool maybe if used a lot, heavily, it will be more likely to develop play; I don’t have a spirit to compare, so I am just guessing here...  ???
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 07:04:23 PM
the blade play has always been up and down on the ones I have had or have messed with.
The one I have now was brand new replacement from victorinox and it came with blade play. I know its not going to cause the lock to fail, its just annoying. I wish it had none like the spirit

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 07:24:21 PM
My wenger Ranger has a bit of up and down play too, and it is a more heavy duty oriented, cutting wise, tool, so I assume the spirit has different type/tolerance locks... But I am just guessing here, again... :D

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%