Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Storing swisstool

Offline bluelavender

Storing swisstool
on: June 21, 2011, 03:43:26 AM
Hi Guys,

Another newbie question :) For the swisstool owners, how do you guys store the swisstool ? Do you keep it inside its leather sheath or outside ? the reason i ask is because usually for knife, storing it inside leather sheath will invite rust. How will swisstool fare in rust department if i keep it inside its leather sheath ?

Thanks again guys :)

nz Offline KiwiMark

Re: Storing swisstool
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:56:00 AM
How will swisstool fare in rust department if i keep it inside its leather sheath ?

I wouldn't worry.  My SwissTool is in a nylon sheath, but I've kept my Cybertool 34 in a leather sheath on my belt for over a decade - no rust!  My Leatherman Wave have also been in a leather sheath for about a decade and it has no rust either.

Maybe it's just me (or maybe it is the wipe down with mineral oil) but I haven't seen any sign of rust on my carbon steel (1075, 1085, 1095, 5160) knives that I just leave in their leather sheaths.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:28:04 AM
Vics are probably one of the best MTs for rust resistance so fear not on the sheath storage front mate  :tu: :tu: :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

nz Offline HawkeyX

Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:23:42 PM
Agreed, I keep mine inside its sheath, and after the rust resistance experiment I conducted I have no concern in vic's rust resistance abilities under normal use. (just dont keep it in the sheath soaked in salt water lol)

Offline bluelavender

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 07:43:28 AM
Thanks Guys :)

Now i am assured i can keep it in the sheath :) otherwise, i'll have to start looking for extra boxes :)

BL

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:59:05 AM
One of my swisstools has been sitting in it's sheath in it's box for months and not a spec of rust .

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:03:55 AM
I keep mine in a nylon sheath and it has no rus to date. :)

scotland Offline colinoutdoors

• Colin
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 12:52:36 PM
I keep my in the nylon sheath. Mines is the '98 model, no rust issues at all. Overall I find Vic's very low maintenance. If I am honest some of mine have never had any maintenance, still no rust issues. 

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 05:38:01 PM
I wouldn't store anything metal in a leather sheath.

• Colin
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 06:01:43 PM
I wouldn't store anything metal in a leather sheath.

Hi Shamus, why would that be? Do tools tend to rust in metal sheaths?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 06:27:11 PM
I've heard this thing about not storing knives and tools in leather sheaths before but I have to say it's not been my experience.  I keep all my knifes and tools in the sheaths they came in and have never had an issue with rusting as a result.  It my be because I live in a modern and very dry house though, and obviously I wouldn't put anything away if the leather was wet or damp.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Colin
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 06:29:14 PM
I've heard this thing about not storing knives and tools in leather sheaths before but I have to say it's not been my experience.  I keep all my knifes and tools in the sheaths they came in and have never had an issue with rusting as a result.  It my be because I live in a modern and very dry house though, and obviously I wouldn't put anything away if the leather was wet or damp.

Yeah thats my experience too Gareth, never had any issues storing tools in leather. I guess in a high moisture/humidity environment it would cause an issue.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 06:33:27 PM
Leather can trap sweat, salt, moisture.

Of all MTs out there, Vics have very good rust resistance due to their high polish.  But why induce a stressor that can easily be avoided? 

• Colin
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 06:39:01 PM
Leather can trap sweat, salt, moisture.

Of all MTs out there, Vics have very good rust resistance due to their high polish.  But why induce a stressor that can easily be avoided?

Thanks for the info Shamus. But as I have said. I have never had an issue, I have several hand forged cabon steel hatchets stored in leather, no problems. I guess its also the environment you like in.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 07:21:30 PM
I, too, have my swisstool in its leather sheath, without any problems; but the climate where I am is quite dry.

I assume if I was carrying it a lot and getting it wet and sweating on it then the leather could, possibly, encourage rust formation. I, however, have not seen any significant rust on swiss army knives; maybe some rust on the pivots of a few used leatherman Micra, and on some beadblasted knives but most of that cleans up easily.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline stack

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 07:45:00 PM
      The family and I went on a weekend camping trip. We had early gerber multis in nylon sheath's. The tent's would build up alot of dew by morning and I can tell you that both of the gerber tools had rust at the end of the trip. I removed the rust but the tool's were scared for life. On the other hand, my son has his buck 119 in a leather sheath down stairs of my home where it is very damp. I have cleaned the mold off of the sheath several times and the knife has no rust but it was well oiled. As a rule, I dont store any of my knive's or tool's in sheath's if they are going to be exposed to dampness but I have edc tool's that go to work with me and I do leave them in sheath's but they are kept dry and I do wipe them off with a silicone cloth now and then.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 10:34:57 AM
On Saturday I was working out in heavy rain all day and I've just remerbered my vic dual pro is still on my lifejacket in the boot of my car   :oops: the nylon sheath is soaked but the knife has zero rust on it  :D it's been wet for nearly 48 hours .

• Colin
Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 10:36:59 AM
That shows excellent rust resistance for the Dual Pro. Great inadvertent test Dunc. :-) 

us Offline django.cj

Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 05:48:09 PM
I've seen a problem with storing tools or knives in their sheaths.  Heck, even my Mora which starts discoloring if i let it air dry, has no issues living in it's sheath.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 05:49:20 AM
if you're real paranoid...you can use silica packs

I buy guitar strings in bulk and always throw a few into the box to keep moisture out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038N30OY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001UYEBNW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PDQ2TKYQ5ZB0SQPZTB7
Quality Control
Materials
Design

• Colin
Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 10:31:45 AM
I buy guitar strings in bulk and always throw a few into the box to keep moisture out.

Very clever idea mate :salute:

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 09:11:07 AM

Very clever idea mate :salute:

thanks.

also if you are worried about rust in the future you can use car wax on your knives/tools. (make sure its not abrasive wax)

on my nicer tools I always put on some wax to protect them.
the mirror finish is a bonus.  =)
Quality Control
Materials
Design

Offline bluelavender

Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 09:54:55 AM
Hi All,

Long time hasn't logging in... Thanks all for the advise. I guess i should not worry about keeping swisstool in its sheath then  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%