Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Box Joint Pliers

id Offline Paperclip

Box Joint Pliers
on: July 10, 2011, 08:44:51 AM
So I've just learned that there's a type of pliers joint called box joint (with the usual side by side joint is called "lap joint"). Here's a pic for those who aren't yet familiar with it:

One "hand" is sandwiched by the other "hand".

I can imagine that this design has the capacity to prevent/minimize "side to side" play/development common in pliers. "Unfortunately", it seems that box joint is only used in fine works pliers like those used by jewelers or electricians where precision is important.

Does anyone have any experience using this kind of pliers? What do you think about it?

Some discussions about box joint pliers:
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/members-lounge/107825-pliers-cutters-lap-box-joints.html
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/slightly-ot-box-joint-pliers-96004/

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Box Joint Pliers
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:38:03 PM
I actually have a pair similar to those. I do use it on occasion when I have small projects requiring delicate work. They are tighter than normal pliers and do have, IMO, more control. They don't have a cutter head because it's really not needed on a set of pliers that small.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Box Joint Pliers
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:43:16 AM
Ahh, didn't know there was a term for that type of pivot. :) Box joint eh? Seems like it would be very strong, but rather difficult to make...? :think:

The only multitool so equipped that I know of was the old Schrade ST5E

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 02:05:07 AM
Ahh, didn't know there was a term for that type of pivot. :) Box joint eh? Seems like it would be very strong, but rather difficult to make...? :think:

I can see where the layered construction would be stronger, but wouldn't the necessary reforging step in the other process tend to weaken the metal?  :think:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

id Offline Paperclip

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:34:48 PM

I didn't expect to see a multitool with it! I can see that they found a cost effective process to make the joint.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 01:55:04 AM

I didn't expect to see a multitool with it! I can see that they found a cost effective process to make the joint.

That's exactly what I said when I first saw it!! :D

Yeah, that was one major advantage of Schrade's "laminated steel plate" construction. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%