Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review: Timbuk2 Medium Swig Backpack (Pic Heavy)

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Review: Timbuk2 Medium Swig Backpack (Pic Heavy)
on: May 30, 2011, 08:21:29 PM
It's been a while but since I had the camera out, I decided to go ahead and do the review I promised a while ago. I love this bag.  It's not very "tactical" I suppose but I've got more space and room than I know what to do with and it's so comfortable when I'm walking or on my bike that I can deal with just about anything.  This thing goes with me almost everywhere.  I have left school with all my school stuff in it, gone to the grocery store and come home with dinner...all in my backpack.  I wish it had some more pockets (specifically a mess side pocket that my water bottle won't fall out of) but other than that it's just about perfect.
Specs:
Made in San Francisco
Mission 6 Nylon (this stuff is a dust, dog hair, fuzz magnet!  But it's really easy to clean and practically bullet proof)
Dimensions: 13.4 by 20.10 by 6.7" (W x H x D) you'll see in pics.
Waterproof TPU liner (and it works, I got caught in a torrential downpour with hail the other day, everything stayed dry)
Organizer panel
Front pocket, large main pocket, laptop space
Padded back
Side pocket designed for U-lock (not so great for Water Bottle)
Key pocket on back
Velcro to close the main flap with buckles to keep it shut
Now!  Pictures!
The bag is packed in these first few pictures.

Picture of the back key pocket with Vic Ranger poking out:

Inside pics (without stuff):
Main Compartment

Laptop compartment

Front Pocket and organizer:

One thing I forgot to mention was the side zipper pocket.  To be honest, I haven't used it yet, but I'm sure I will eventually.  LOL! 
More in next post.  Not sure if I can put all the other pics in this one.

I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Re: Review: Timbuk2 Medium Swig Backpack (Pic Heavy)
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 08:42:01 PM
Round 2:
Now I'll show you what this thing looks like loaded, show some reference pics, and one of my favorite features.  Actually, let's start with the favorite feature.
Most bags that are designed like this have the pesky problem leaving a gap on the sides when the flap is closed over the main compartment.  Why is that important?  Because your stuff gets wet or falls out if the bag gets turned upside down.  The fine folks at Timbuk2 fixed this.  The bottom of the flap and top of the bag are folded inward and secured with velcro tabs. 
Pic:

Now with all my stuff:

This is all the stuff that's in there:

U-lock Pocket:
Biggest issue with this is that water bottle will fall out.  If there was a string to cinch it tight or if it was deeper it would be great for a waterbottle, but I'm guessing it was designed specifically for U-Locks. 

Now the fun stuff: This thing is deep with lots of space and surprisingly does not look as big as it is.  Here's some pics of stuff that fits in these pockets that will give you a reference (I hope)

Front Pocket Only:

I promise the notebook is in there, that pocket is deep!  Here's another example with a coffee can in the front pocket.

Now the main pocket:

Ok, that's all the pics.  Really the only complaints I have of this bag are hair magnet fabric and the side pocket not holding a water bottle. 
The straps on this thing as designed so that even when it's at it's heaviest they don't cut me or rub..perfectly cut for anybody (but this GIRL is particularly happy about them)  Oh, an the bottle opener on the front...LOL!  It's handy, don't get me wrong but I've never used it.  The other accessories that i didn't really mention are my 2-Way and Shag Bag (yes, UK'ers I know what that means) and they are great little accessories.  The shag bag doubles as a phone holder and wallet (not at the same time) and when I'm using a smaller case on my phone the 2-way holds the phone and/or my bluetooth headset.  All around this is a perfect set up for me.  It seems like a lot but I have to carry quite a bit for school.  I can see me using this bag for a long long time! 
Thanks for reading...I'm sorry if it was too long winded or too many pics.  I just love this bag.  :)

I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:42:21 PM
Nice piece of gear! I like it!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:43:17 PM
Nice piece of gear! I like it!
Thanks!  I just put up the second part of the reviews as a reply.  Hope you like that too.  LOL!  I had fun doing it. 

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:21:08 AM

:gimme: :gimme: :gimme:
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 12:48:08 PM
very nice bag, i have timbuk2 messenger bag but its seen better days as i got it about 13-14 years ago, its ended up at the back of my cupboard ,the wife keeps saying to throw it out as its rough but i keep ingoring her,  :D  that bag looks very usefull,  :tu:

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 09:46:49 PM
Great review!  It's not something that will work well for me personally, but I've been nothing but impressed with TB2's products and customer service.  I find it hard to use any bag these days that isn't made by them...  both my cycling bag and my laptop bag are TB2 products, and my laptop bag is still going strong after 6 years of use.

In fact, when I ordered my current cycling bag, a small classic messenger 'covert' model, the one I received was missing one of the velcro strips on the underside of the top flap.  I sent them a pic and they sent me a whole new bag, free!  Told me to just keep the defective one!  I had a similar experience when I bought my laptop bag from them, an original Commute.  I ordered an all black model, but received one with a gray middle panel.  I told them I'd keep it but just wanted to let them know I'd received the wrong color, and they sent me a free replacement anyway!!!  :o

Great products, great company; hard to beat what they do.  I'll be a customer with them for a long time to come.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 01:47:23 AM
Great review!  It's not something that will work well for me personally, but I've been nothing but impressed with TB2's products and customer service.  I find it hard to use any bag these days that isn't made by them...  both my cycling bag and my laptop bag are TB2 products, and my laptop bag is still going strong after 6 years of use.

In fact, when I ordered my current cycling bag, a small classic messenger 'covert' model, the one I received was missing one of the velcro strips on the underside of the top flap.  I sent them a pic and they sent me a whole new bag, free!  Told me to just keep the defective one!  I had a similar experience when I bought my laptop bag from them, an original Commute.  I ordered an all black model, but received one with a gray middle panel.  I told them I'd keep it but just wanted to let them know I'd received the wrong color, and they sent me a free replacement anyway!!!  :o

Great products, great company; hard to beat what they do.  I'll be a customer with them for a long time to come.
They are super people!  A while back I had emailed them asking if they still included stickers with their bags since I hadn't gotten any and I LOVE decorating stuff with them.  They emailed me back and said, no they didn't but they sent me a whole envelope full of them anyway!  Super nice people.  When I was trying to find a back pack, I couldn't decide from the pics and reviews so I called them.  The guy I spoke with was super great about telling me the honest pros and cons of each of the bags I was interested in, which is how I ended up with the Swig.  It is a big bag.  A really big bag, but the longer I wear it and use the more it seems just perfect.  It holds a ton of stuff and I'm limited only by what I can comfortably carry.  It's a great grocery store bag.  I wish I had been able to get a custom one but I can't see giving this one up when it's perfectly serviceable.  Maybe one of these days I'll get a custom one in Ballistic Nylon instead of the Mission 6 fabric (apparently a notorious hair magnet).  They have come out with a lot of newer backpacks but like i said I just love this one.  I'll be using it for years!  Can't wait to celebrate it's 1st birthday!  :) 

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 05:53:03 PM
I have a Timbuk2. I really like the rubber lining on the inside of the flap. GREAT idea.

A year ago one of my clips on my strap broke and they sent me out a whole new strap, no questions asked. I'm always willing to pay a little more for service like that.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 08:39:30 PM
I agree; TB2 is an awesome company.  Fantastic products, and simply the best CS of just about any company I've ever had to deal with.

Grayson; you need to ditch that old mini-mag and update to something new and better!  Get yourself something like a Jetbeam BA20, Fenix LD20, Thrunite Neutron 2A, etc.  You'll be amazed at how bright these little suckers are!

I use a Xeno E03 on my handlebars that cost $35 shipped, and on high it's brighter than $300 NiteRider systems!  I love blowing other people's high priced fancy bike lights away with a $30, or $60 LED flashlight and watching their jaws drop; first when I blow away their light, and again when I tell them how much my light cost me!!!  :rofl:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%