Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best Leatherman Sheath?

us Offline The Copilot

Best Leatherman Sheath?
on: July 15, 2011, 02:34:03 PM
In your opinion, what is the best multitool sheath that Leatherman has ever produced and why it it the best?  Please include a picture if possible to show which sheath you are talking about.  (Looking forward to hearing a variety of opinions on this one...)

scotland Offline colinoutdoors

• Colin
Re: Best Leatherman Sheath?
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:55:19 PM
Top Charge Leather
Left to Right; Wave Leather, Core Leather, Surge/ST300 Nylon, Surge Camo Nylon, Kick/Skeletool Nylon, Old Wave Nylon.

I personally prefer the Leather sheath for the Charge. Its never let me down and I think its of higher quality than the Wave leather sheath.
Front

Back

You can put the tool in with the pliers open, like many other sheaths from Leatherman.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:42:02 PM
Without a doubt the original PST sheath.. :tu: Or any of their original leather sheaths actually.. :)
They look good, smells & feels good and they're rock solid.. :salute:

And they still looks good used:  :salute:

• Colin
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 04:45:08 PM
Without a doubt the original PST sheath.. :tu: Or any of their original leather sheaths actually.. :)

I need to get myself one of those sheaths, oh with a nice PST in it too, (working hard on that). I do like their slim profile. I take it they are similar to the Kick/Core style of sheaths?

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 04:45:27 PM
Leatherman’s original sheathes  (the leather ones with the button snaps for the original PST) were the best. 

The nylon sheaths for my original Supertool  and original Wave were good, but the Velcro wore out fairly fast.

Frankly, the current crop of Leatherman sheaths are underwhelming.  The nylon sheathes are too bulky. The fake-leather ones just  seem cheap. 

Maybe Leatherman should outsource their sheath manufacturing to Victorinox.  :pok:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 04:55:41 PM
I take it they are similar to the Kick/Core style of sheaths?
Sadly not.. :-\ The originals are real leather instead of the Kick/Core fake "Fleather".. ::)
And the old sheats fits the tool a whole lot better than those new big and massproduced new ones.

• Colin
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 05:00:32 PM
I take it they are similar to the Kick/Core style of sheaths?
Sadly not.. :-\ The originals are real leather instead of the Kick/Core fake "Fleather".. ::)
And the old sheats fits the tool a whole lot better than those new big and massproduced new ones.

Well its good to hear the old sheaths are of better quality, I shall hopefully pick myself up one soon. Thanks for the info my friend.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 05:59:14 PM
This one, because I upgraded it from the worn out velcro to a side release buckle :)
It came with my ST200, and now houses my ST300 faithfully.

For unmodified sheaths, I agree with the others that the original leather ones are the best.
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

• Colin
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 06:00:54 PM
Threeme, that is a brilliant mod. I may have to give something like that a try, nice one.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 06:44:09 PM
Threeme, that is a brilliant mod. I may have to give something like that a try, nice one.

I put a lot of thought into it, even though it's not too complicated :)

If you need any advice feel free to ask.
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

• Colin
Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 06:45:51 PM

I put a lot of thought into it, even though it's not too complicated :)

If you need any advice feel free to ask.

Thanks my friend, I may need your help. Think I may try this on my ST300 nylon sheath. Top work

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 11:41:13 PM
Ohh, and the same goes for the Original Wave sheaths..  ;) :drool: :drool:

• Colin
Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 11:45:34 PM
Those Wave sheaths are beautiful, I would like to get my hands on them for my to Original Wave's  :)

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 12:23:54 AM
Another vote for the original Charge leather sheath, although there is much to be said for the original leather sheaths for the PST / Super Tool lines.

• Colin
Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 12:37:34 AM
Another vote for the original Charge leather sheath,

Great choice  :D

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 01:07:26 AM
I like the leather Charge/Wave sheath (as well as the nylon version) because it has a backpocket for a bit kit and two elastic side pockets for small flashlight, small pen or whatever you to carry.  If I'm not carrying a bit kit, the backpocket holds a PocketWrench II perfectly.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 02:03:27 AM
Don't know how to post pics here, but I really like the black nylon sheat that my original Wave came with.  It's the older one with the white lettering. 

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 02:21:51 AM
This one?

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 02:25:02 AM
That's a new one to me. :tu:

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 04:04:14 AM

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 09:18:33 AM
I'm with Allan, the original leather sheaths for the PST, Pulse and Supertool are fantastic.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 10:12:08 AM
I agree the original sheaths were the best.  I got a new crunch the other day and it came with a Blast sheath that fits it terrible.  I had to order a nylon pancake sheath for it. 

The ST300 that came in the mail today came with their new "premium" leather sheath.  The problem with that one is the sides are too short, so if you carry the tool horizontally (I like to with larger tools) it can very very easily slide right out.  I snagged a fairly new pancake nylon sheath that I had my original ST in and it now houses the ST300.  The original ST is in my B.O.B. so it doesn't really need a sheath. 

On the flip side, the current issue leather (fleather) sheath for the Blast/fuse/crunch fits the Blast REALLY well and actually holds up well despite it's cheapness.  I prefer it for my Blast and that is my daily carry.  Once you beat it up a bit you see that though it is cheap, likely bonded leather, it still ends up looking pretty much like any other beat up LM sheath I have. 

au Offline kymg

Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 12:33:55 PM
I mentioned this supplier in the 'Sheaths and Carry Methods' forum

They aren't Leatherman sheaths but are made for Leathermans.

They are made in Queensland, Australia by a company that makes stuff for ringers and jackeroos (collectively called cowboys in other parts)

http://www.kentsaddlery.com.au/products/cat/pouches

See what you think

• Colin
Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 12:42:14 PM
I mentioned this supplier in the 'Sheaths and Carry Methods' forum

They aren't Leatherman sheaths but are made for Leathermans.

They are made in Queensland, Australia by a company that makes stuff for ringers and jackeroos (collectively called cowboys in other parts)

http://www.kentsaddlery.com.au/products/cat/pouches

This is a very nice carry option for the Super Tool. Quite pricey but I guess you pay for the quality.
Cheers for the link mate.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 03:19:40 PM
The ST300 that came in the mail today came with their new "premium" leather sheath.  The problem with that one is the sides are too short, so if you carry the tool horizontally (I like to with larger tools) it can very very easily slide right out. ...

I agree completely, and I would go so far as to say that, while the sheath looks really good, it must be the worst LM sheath design ever.

Even with an ST300, it takes almost no effort to have the tool end up in this position:

So I started to think that perhaps the sheath was never intended to carry a tool alone, but to have accessories always in the sleeves in the sides. There's only one problem with that, the bottom of the sheath is so narrow that there is nothing to keep any accessories from working their way out, just the tension of the elastic. Anything put in there would have to have its own clip to properly retain it:

:(
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

• Colin
Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 03:23:34 PM
I agree completely, and I would go so far as to say that, while the sheath looks really good, it must be the worst LM sheath design ever.
Even with an ST300, it takes almost no effort to have the tool end up in this position:

Yes I have this style of sheath for my Charge TTi, not a big fan of it. To be fair I carried it for a whole week and never had much issue. But I don't like the fact that the tool could fall out will the sheath is buttoned up.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 05:15:31 PM
The low quality sheaths are a reflection of Leatherman's confidence in their market position: they can throw in a cheap sheath as an afterthought and the masses will buy their product  I'm not sure which is more depressing; Leatherman or the masses.

The sheath should be a good as the tool!

• Colin
Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 05:18:03 PM
The low quality sheaths are a reflection of Leatherman's confidence in their market position: they can throw in a cheap sheath as an afterthought and the masses will buy their product  I'm not sure which is more depressing; Leatherman or the masses.

The sheath should be a good as the tool!

That is a very interesting point you make there. Personally I don't find the new Leather/nylon sheath poor quality, its actually well made with good materials but I think it could of been designed better, just my 2 cents.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 05:25:58 PM
A recent comment from Juli at Leatherman on sheaths:

"SHEATHS :: So sheaths are like hair color or eyes – everyone has a preference. Oh wait…maybe their like tools – everyone has a preference there – ha ha. Anyhow…Wanted to give an update on our design. We used to have a bunch of different sheaths and now we’re trying to narrow them down to designs that fit more than 2 or three models. Our first attempt we asked people if they carried their bits with their tools and most said yes so we made the sheath to accommodate that. BUT…If you didn’t carry your bits, the sheath was too loose and the tool (if worn in the horz position) could potentially fall out. So we’re onto the next phase of design right now and I think…IMHO…sheaths will forever be a work in progress :)"
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 05:29:36 PM
I think the majority agrees that these are the good Leatherman sheaths:

Hmm, how'd that get in there?  :think:

Incidentally, a PPP sheath is a perfect fit for a PST/PST II, but is too small for a Pulse.  :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%