Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Streamlight or Maglite?

Benner · 53 · 9644

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Streamlight or Maglite?
Reply #30 on: December 05, 2007, 10:59:32 PM
Is the UK price that different ???

I am having trouble finding one for sale, let alone in this country.  :(
Hmmm, you could drop heinnies an email, see what they can do, as it's getting close to xmas, the post is gona be all over the show ::)

Btw, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but if you hit someone with a torch, even in your own home it'll still be considered assault with a weapon, especially if it's one of these modern torches, with sharp impact risers all over them ;)

There are better, less obvious weapon, to use.

Well it ain't just for whacking.  :D  I do need a decent light as well. But that would just be a bonus.  ;)
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #31 on: December 05, 2007, 11:04:29 PM
I am in the UK so shipping might be a little steep.  ;)

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about that.  I have bought these in the past for $25-30 so, if one can be located, it shouldn't be too price-prohibitive.

Well I am looking around the £25 mark, so $50 inc shipping.  So it is an option if you can find one for me.
I'm looking :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #32 on: December 05, 2007, 11:40:53 PM
Sorry mate, I failed :(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: December 05, 2007, 11:41:57 PM

USELESS!!!!!!  :D :D

Hopefully NutSAK will have some luck.
I'm back!!

Reply #34 on: December 05, 2007, 11:43:38 PM

I can go off you, you know :D :D

I think you are gona have more luck that side of the pond, but the postage will be high coz of the size if not the weight :(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: December 05, 2007, 11:46:26 PM

I think you are gona have more luck that side of the pond, but the postage will be high coz of the size if not the weight :(

:D :D

Yeah, I am just hoping that the low US costs will make up for the postage :-\.

I like the way this post is called Streamlight or Maglite and I am looking at getting an Elecktrolumens.  ::)
I'm back!!

Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 11:49:02 PM

:D :D

Yeah, I am just hoping that the low US costs will make up for the postage :-\.

I like the way this post is called Streamlight or Maglite and I am looking at getting an Elecktrolumens.  ::)
Oh dear, you've become quite the jamie haven't you ::)

:D :D :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: December 05, 2007, 11:50:15 PM
Ha bloody ha!!  :D
I'm back!!

Reply #38 on: December 05, 2007, 11:51:02 PM
Ha bloody ha!!  :D
You KNOW it's true :D :D

Anyway night guys :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 11:51:39 PM
I'm back!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: December 06, 2007, 09:09:50 PM
a question and a comment for you, Benner...

Are you looking for a particular type of beam from this light?  I ask because the Blaster uses an optic, which has less "spill" to the beam than a reflector.  It's more of a large, bright spot with a dim spill.  In other words, it throws light a great distance, but it isn't very bright in the periphery.

Also, I wouldn't recommend the Blaster if you have small hands--it is thick.  I have medium hands, and I don't find it a comfortable light with gloves on.
- Terry

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: December 06, 2007, 09:17:40 PM
a question and a comment for you, Benner...

Are you looking for a particular type of beam from this light?  I ask because the Blaster uses an optic, which has less "spill" to the beam than a reflector.  It's more of a large, bright spot with a dim spill.  In other words, it throws light a great distance, but it isn't very bright in the periphery.

Also, I wouldn't recommend the Blaster if you have small hands--it is thick.  I have medium hands, and I don't find it a comfortable light with gloves on.

The beam of light sounds like what I am looking for.  Spill is handy, but I have cheap alternatives that would do the job, and I do prefer the LED type due to it's power consumption and the way it can sustain a fall and not break the element.

I have average sized hands but they are very thin and in my experience, I prefer "chunkier" items because of it.  I did manage to handle a maglite 3d yesterday and I liked the thickness of that, so I would assume the Blaster would be of a similar thickness?
I'm back!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #42 on: December 06, 2007, 10:14:23 PM
It is a bit thicker than a Maglite, just because the walls of the tube are about 3 times as thick.  I don't know that you would really notice the difference unless you were comparing them side-by-side though.  Oh yeah--it is a HELL of a lot brighter than a stock Mag Lite, and will run much longer on a set of batteries.

I've decided that I will sell my black one to you if we can't find another in a reasonable amount of time.  I keep these on hand to whack intruders also, and I have the green one at the front door and that's all I really need.

Besides, I need to whittle down my "collection" from the 35 or so flashlights that I have right now.  :o
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:16:45 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: December 06, 2007, 10:19:12 PM
It is a bit thicker than a Maglite, just because the walls of the tube are about 3 times as thick.  I don't know that you would really notice the difference unless you were comparing them side-by-side though.

I've decided that I will sell my black one to you if we can't find another in a reasonable amount of time.  I keep these on hand to whack intruders also, and I have the green one at the front door and that's all I really need.

Besides, I need to whittle down my "collection" from the 35 or so flashlights that I have right now.  :o

35!  :o  Mind you on cpf I expect that is small.  :)

Only if you are sure and think that my budget suits you?  I don't mind waiting a bit if there's a chance of getting another.

It does look like a good light. I have done a few searches and everyone seems to think they are good.  And the battery life seems impressive as well.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #44 on: December 06, 2007, 11:24:41 PM
Your budget suits me fine if the shipping is reasonable.  I don't try to make any profits on my torches, I just buy them, use them a while, modify some of them, and then sell them.  I paid $28 for it.  I'm the second owner of this one, but it is still in excellent condition.  That's the nice thing about LED torches--they basically last forever, so you can buy used ones and get a like-new light for much less $ (or £ as it were ;).

These two have been modified.  The original owner sent these back to Wayne Johnson (owner of Elektro Lumens) to have him upgrade them with Luxeon III LEDs.  The originals have Luxeon I LEDs, so these are a bit brighter than stock.

One thing to consider is that parts for this light will be hard to come by since it's no longer in production.  However, the switch is the only thing I can think of that could possibly go bad (as long as it's not used as a hammer!), and the switch is quite robust.  It's likely that your grandkids will be able to use this light when they're your age (assuming D cells are still available then).
- Terry

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: December 06, 2007, 11:32:34 PM
Your budget suits me fine if the shipping is reasonable.  I don't try to make any profits on my torches, I just buy them, use them a while, modify some of them, and then sell them.  I paid $28 for it.  I'm the second owner of this one, but it is still in excellent condition.  That's the nice thing about LED torches--they basically last forever, so you can buy used ones and get a like-new light for much less $ (or £ as it were ;).

These two have been modified.  The original owner sent these back to Wayne Johnson (owner of Elektro Lumens) to have him upgrade them with Luxeon III LEDs.  The originals have Luxeon I LEDs, so these are a bit brighter than stock.

One thing to consider is that parts for this light will be hard to come by since it's no longer in production.  However, the switch is the only thing I can think of that could possibly go bad (as long as it's not used as a hammer!), and the switch is quite robust.  It's likely that your grandkids will be able to use this light when they're your age (assuming D cells are still available then).

I wouldn't have thought the shipping would be too bad ???  Even if it was around the $30 mark I'd still consider it.

I had thought about spares, so I took at look at their website and I am sure that if anything did happen I could get something from them.  But like you said, it is built like a tank so I'm sure it would be fine.  And I am also a qualified electronic engineer so fixing these sort of things is not a prob.  ;)
I'm back!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #46 on: December 06, 2007, 11:38:30 PM
And I am also a qualified electronic engineer so fixing these sort of things is not a prob.  ;)

Cool.  Me too.  8)
- Terry

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: December 06, 2007, 11:39:23 PM
And I am also a qualified electronic engineer so fixing these sort of things is not a prob.  ;)

Cool.  Me too.  8)

I'm not a very good one mind.  :D  But I am qualified. ;)
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #48 on: December 07, 2007, 12:24:49 AM

Should we keep an eye out in the Sale Forums here? :D
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: December 07, 2007, 12:25:50 AM

Should we keep an eye out in the Sale Forums here? :D

If one's a Blaster, it's MINE!! >:D :D
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #50 on: December 07, 2007, 03:55:23 AM
I'm in the market for a BIG 6 cell Mag Lite.. :D

No one has mentioned Kel Lite yet...I've never handled one, but they looked eerily similar to Mag Lites.  Off to google to find out more.. ???
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: January 16, 2008, 10:39:31 PM
Streamlight or Maglite?  Well IMO the answer is Elektro lumens!  :D

Just received the blaster 3 from NutSAK (cheers mate!) and I love this thing.

Will do a bit more of a talk through later, I've got too much to play with tonight.  :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:21:29 PM by Benner »
I'm back!!

us Offline Splat

Reply #52 on: January 17, 2008, 02:32:21 AM
I love the concrete construction of my SL-20XP I've had for about 6-7 years now. I wouldn't get another rechargeable now, though. I've used my IQ5 Motorola Battery Maintenance System+ to condition the SL20XP's stick but it's on its way out. I'm surprised by this actually because I've had, for instance, portable 2-way radio batteries last longer and were used more. I'd like to get the LED upgrade but haven't gotten around to it. Since I swapped out the incandie bulb in my 3-D Maglite to their LED bulb I've been using that. Since I've ripped apart the Maglite and have seen an SL-20XP gutted I think the Streamlight is slightly better built.  Your mileage may vary.
Splat

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD