Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The one that got away?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
The one that got away?
on: December 05, 2007, 01:47:55 PM
Although I've turned my back on the internal combustion engine, there are one or two motorbikes I wish I hadn't sold on :cry:

Funnily enough given there laughing stock reputation, I miss my old MZ's the most :o, but they were just so well engineered and an absolute doddle to work on compared to your average Japanese bike, where you grapling with rusted on bolts the whole time, or looking for yet another special tool, to do even simple servicing jobs  ::)

So what vehicle did you regret moving on ???
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 01:52:48 PM by micky d »
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: The one that got away?
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 01:57:20 PM
Great topic!

I had a 3 door MkII Golf GTI that was black.  I had wanted this car since I was about 5 and when I was 18 I finally got one.  It needed a lot of work, but over the next year I spent a fortune on it and got it back to a great condition.  Then of course SHE  >:D fell pregnant and my lovely car had to go so we could fit silly things like buggies and car seats in.  :cry:

I still miss that car and I have vowed that I will own one again one day.
I'm back!!

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 02:02:18 PM
I had a well sorted Honda Hornet, that I spent a fortune on till it could crack a genuine 150mph, then my ex fell pregnant and I had to lose it too :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sometimes being a grown up sucks doesnt it :D

* 600hornet.jpg (Filesize: 26.9 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 02:37:28 PM
I regret losing all of my previous cars.  My first was an '86 Pontiac Firebird, which was a beautiful car, and great for a long haired, ugly kid like myself.  Unfortunately, '86 was a bad year for most GM cars, and mine was no exception.  It was plagued with problems and ended up being a waste of money.

The first good car I had was a few years later, a '91 VW Fox.  That car and I spent a few years together, and it put up with just about all the abuse I could dish out and kept coming back for more.  1.9L fuel injected engine and a 4 spd manual transmission meant it accelerated like nobody's business.  I outraced a few cars with that one, hitting 80km/h in first gear once, second took me to 120km/h, then I skipped third and went right to fourth.

Then I had an '89 GMC Tracker that I got for a song since it had no top.  I replaced the original clutch at 340,000 kms- not much power to it, but the body weighed all of about 6 pounds :D so it went pretty darned good!

Next I picked up a classic 1980 Pontiac Catalina (upscale version of the Parisienne) for about $250.  That car was beautiful.  It wouldn't start when I bought it, but a new battery, plugs, wires, oil change and tires made it perfect for a trip across the country.  Man, they don't make suspensions like that anymore- I never felt a bump!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 02:41:33 PM
I think the VW Fox was called a Passat over here, did yours have the weird seat belts that plugged in to the roof?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 02:43:08 PM
The Fox and the Passat are two different models over here.  The Fox was the model for those who couldn't quite afford the luxury of the Jetta!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 02:46:40 PM
The Fox and the Passat are two different models over here.  The Fox was the model for those who couldn't quite afford the luxury of the Jetta!

Def
Isn't it weird how you lot that side of the pond are so into luxury cars, where us europeans are obsessed with going fast, and bugger comfort :D

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 04:37:00 PM
Wish I'd kept my third LC. Braced frame, 375cc Stan Stephens Stage III tune, RGV front & rear ends, pukka TZ250 seat unit, clip-ons, Nikon expansion chambers, Ohlins steering damper... 62 horse at the wheel, constant tank slappers, the only time it had two wheels on the ground was when it was parked  :D I highsided it chasing a CBR600 on the Isle of Grain - ever take yours down there Mike? - and was so upset that I sold it rather than repair it. It'd be worth about four grand now, sob  >:(
C

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 04:45:06 PM
 The vehicles I regretted having got away from me,were ones I never owned.When I came home from the service,I had the money but dawdled on getting a pair of cars that were for sale in my hometown,one was a '69 Jaguar XKE for $2900,that I probably could have dickered down the price,and the other was a '41 Dodge coupe in nearly mint shape for $900.
I

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 06:37:08 PM
I once had a 1992 Firebird.  I bought it in 1998 right after I graduated high school for $7000 I believe.  It was a nice car it had only 5,300 mi on it when I bought it.  There was still factory plastic on the back seats that the previous owner had never bothered to remove.  It still had the new car smell and all.  The owner had kept it instorage during the winter and only took it out as a "weekend cruiser."  It was a great car until I decided to get rid of it because the insurance on that car was more per month than the payment.  Getting rid of that car still haunts me to this day.   

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 06:48:25 PM
Mine was the same way.  It cost more in insurance per year than the car was worth.

:-[

I think all told I had about $3,000 in the car, and the insurance was $4,200/year because it was my first car, was a high risk and I was a high risk group.

Def

Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 06:59:03 PM
Wish I'd kept my third LC. Braced frame, 375cc Stan Stephens Stage III tune, RGV front & rear ends, pukka TZ250 seat unit, clip-ons, Nikon expansion chambers, Ohlins steering damper... 62 horse at the wheel, constant tank slappers, the only time it had two wheels on the ground was when it was parked  :D I highsided it chasing a CBR600 on the Isle of Grain - ever take yours down there Mike? - and was so upset that I sold it rather than repair it. It'd be worth about four grand now, sob  >:(
Yep you should have kept that Elsie :cry:, isn't Mr Stevens retired now ???

I've never been down to grain (I dont think :think:) but I'm sure if it was kicking out 62 bhp, I'd have probably heard it from here :D, I don't supose you've got any pictures of it, as I'm a bit of a stink wheel nut >:D

Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 07:01:49 PM
The vehicles I regretted having got away from me,were ones I never owned.When I came home from the service,I had the money but dawdled on getting a pair of cars that were for sale in my hometown,one was a '69 Jaguar XKE for $2900,that I probably could have dickered down the price,and the other was a '41 Dodge coupe in nearly mint shape for $900.
Yeah it's always painfull hindsight isn't it :cry:, and even though I don't really like cars, the E type is a lovely looking motor :)

Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 07:03:09 PM
I once had a 1992 Firebird.  I bought it in 1998 right after I graduated high school for $7000 I believe.  It was a nice car it had only 5,300 mi on it when I bought it.  There was still factory plastic on the back seats that the previous owner had never bothered to remove.  It still had the new car smell and all.  The owner had kept it instorage during the winter and only took it out as a "weekend cruiser."  It was a great car until I decided to get rid of it because the insurance on that car was more per month than the payment.  Getting rid of that car still haunts me to this day.   
I bet it does mate, insurance is a killer though >:(

Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 07:04:03 PM
Mine was the same way.  It cost more in insurance per year than the car was worth.

:-[

I think all told I had about $3,000 in the car, and the insurance was $4,200/year because it was my first car, was a high risk and I was a high risk group.

Def
You...an insurance risk...never :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 07:06:05 PM
Oh, and there was also a '68 BSA that got away from me, but I'd prefer not to think about that....   :cry:

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 07:07:53 PM
Yup, I'd have been very happy if I'd gotten this one...

Def

Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 07:08:14 PM
Oh, and there was also a '68 BSA that got away from me, but I'd prefer not to think about that....   :cry:

Def
One of the twins ???

Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 07:10:10 PM
Yup, I'd have been very happy if I'd gotten this one...

(Image removed from quote.)

Def
I hope the one you were after didn't have the 'combat' head, 3000 miles between engine re-builds, would have got pricey :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 07:15:25 PM
Wouldn't have mattered to me... was a gorgeous bike and I would have rebuilt it by hand if I had to!

Def

Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 07:19:58 PM
I won't argue with that mate, beezers are a thing of beauty, I had a poster of a BSA spitfire on my wall when I was a kid :)

If you like ole brit Iron, have a look at this site mate...

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 07:25:59 PM

You can say that again!  I've just been in a toys R us to get xmas presents for the kids and I came out with nothing.  :( :D
I'm back!!

Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 07:27:20 PM

You can say that again!  I've just been in a toys R us to get xmas presents for the kids and I came out with nothing.  :( :D
That's just wrong, I hope you spat your dummy out >:(

What one the one by rochester?

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 07:56:10 PM

I've never been down to grain (I dont think :think:) but I'm sure if it was kicking out 62 bhp, I'd have probably heard it from here :D, I don't supose you've got any pictures of it, as I'm a bit of a stink wheel nut >:D

I'll have a look when I go to my parents' next. I might even find the issue of Streetfighters it was in...  :D I don't think you can beat strokers, much more fun than bloomin' 4-stroke diesels. A mate of mine has a 'Priller RS250, with cylinders replaced with RG200 items (Jap import single). It looks standard (ish), but it's 400cc & 78 horse at the wheel, with a Suzuki kit ignition on it. Someone described as sounding like "Death getting a wedgie" when it's on the pipe  :D
C

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 07:57:22 PM

Well Eddie did!  :)

No, I have been there though.  A new one has just opened in Tunbridge Wells.  I never went in one when I was a kid.  I can see why my mum avoided them.  ;)
I'm back!!

Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 07:59:33 PM

I'll have a look when I go to my parents' next. I might even find the issue of Streetfighters it was in...  :D I don't think you can beat strokers, much more fun than bloomin' 4-stroke diesels. A mate of mine has a 'Priller RS250, with cylinders replaced with RG200 items (Jap import single). It looks standard (ish), but it's 400cc & 78 horse at the wheel, with a Suzuki kit ignition on it. Someone described as sounding like "Death getting a wedgie" when it's on the pipe  :D
I've got to hear that!!

78 bhp and scapel like handling, could tempt me out of retirement :D

It was in streetfighter, I'm impressed mate, they don't show sheds in there, and have a nice line of models too >:D

Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 08:00:36 PM

Well Eddie did!  :)

No, I have been there though.  A new one has just opened in Tunbridge Wells.  I never went in one when I was a kid.  I can see why my mum avoided them.  ;)
Funnily enough so did my mum and dad :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 08:02:42 PM

Well Eddie did!  :)

No, I have been there though.  A new one has just opened in Tunbridge Wells.  I never went in one when I was a kid.  I can see why my mum avoided them.  ;)
Funnily enough so did my mum and dad :D

Well they were also more intelligent than me then.  :D
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 08:27:09 PM
I won't argue with that mate, beezers are a thing of beauty, I had a poster of a BSA spitfire on my wall when I was a kid :)

If you like ole brit Iron, have a look at this site mate...

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/

Not just Brit iron I like... I am partial to many Euro machines, and old iron from anywhere.

My dream bike is a WWII era Zundapp!

Well, one of my dream bikes anyway....

Def

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 08:52:27 PM
I keep looking at classic bikes these days, I fancy a Matchless 'cos my grandad used to work there, or a Japanese stroker from the seventies, maybe a Mach 3 or something. Although I've got an idea about putting a GT750 lump in a modern chassis  :D

My ultimate dream would be a Honda RC30 though, blueprinted, and with HRC Suzuka 8-hour paint & bodykit  :gimme:
C

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD