Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge sheath

Offline theblackabbot

Surge sheath
on: August 02, 2011, 06:26:25 PM
I just got a Surge (upgrade from Core) and I got the Premium Leather/Nylon Sheath II with it.  I would like to know if this particular sheath will hold the Bit Kit (either one or both cards) as well as the Bit Extender and the extra saw/file.

Does anyone have any pictures of this out there so I can see this set up?  If I can't get all that stuff in this sheath, I will have to look for another one.  If you do have the Bit Extender in this sheath, how do you keep it from falling out of the sheath?

Thanks!

us Offline The Copilot

Re: Surge sheath
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:25:50 PM
Yes, it will all fit:

Items in sheath from left to right: Diamond file in the vinyl sleeve, two bit cards, Leatherman Surge, Bit adapter with clip from a pen attached (to allow it to ride in the elastic side pocket), Fisher Bullet Space Pen (black finish).

The thing to keep in mind is that there are two "flavors" of Preminum Leather/Nylon sheaths.  The earlier version made in China (pictured here) has elastic side pockets on the sheath.  The later variety have Cordura nylon side pockets without elastic and these sheaths were made in Mexico.  I have both but prefer the Chinese one from the standpoint that the elastic side pockets hold my clip and bit extended much more sercurely than the other type.  However the Mexican-made sheath seems to have been made with a little better quality leather and metal snap.

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:52:31 PM by The Copilot »

Offline theblackabbot

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 02:51:12 AM
Nice.  Thanks for taking the time to upload these pics! 

From what kind of pen did you get the clip for the Bit Extender?  I like your space pen, but that is a bit pricey for me.  I need to look for a small pen for that function, though.

As to what country of origin my sheath is, I cannot say.  I just got my Surge from Amazon and everything was in a plastic blister pack - one of those types that is hard as hell to cut open and get into...LOL!

Thanks again!

us Offline The Copilot

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:54:21 AM
From what kind of pen did you get the clip for the Bit Extender?
This particular clip came off a Rotring mechanical pencil.  But just about any pen clip will work if the pen is not larger in diameter than the bit extender.

As to what country of origin my sheath is, I cannot say.  I just got my Surge from Amazon and everything was in a plastic blister pack - one of those types that is hard as hell to cut open and get into...LOL!
If your sheath has the elastic side pockets, it's likely Chinese made.  It is has non-elastic nylon pockets, it's likely Mexican-made.

Glad to help in any way that I can.

Offline theblackabbot

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 05:55:03 PM
If you want a cheaper pen to put in your sheath, I found this works pretty good:  the Pilot G2 Minis.  I got mine through my company, but you can get them from Amazon and surely office stores in your city/town.

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Retractable-Rolling-4-Pack-31206/dp/B003597U38

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 11:15:56 PM
OK, reviving this thread to see if there's been some evolution going on here. I just received my new Surge, and the Premium Leather sheath has non-elastic Cordura sides, but the label plainly states it was made in China with a manufacture date of 10/11. There is only one side with an elastic sleeve for an accessory, and there is no sleeve behind the tool to hold bit cards.

Anyone else seeing this? I like the overall feel of it, although I like more ways to carry more stuff.  :D

us Offline The Copilot

Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 05:43:37 AM
I just received my new Surge, and the Premium Leather sheath has non-elastic Cordura sides, but the label plainly states it was made in China with a manufacture date of 10/11. There is only one side with an elastic sleeve for an accessory, and there is no sleeve behind the tool to hold bit cards.

Could you post some pictures?  I'd love to see what you are talking about.  Maybe some changes made in late 2011.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 09:50:04 AM
I hope they did do away with the elastic sides, it's too easy for the tool to slide out when carried horizontally.

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 01:44:14 PM
I just received my new Surge, and the Premium Leather sheath has non-elastic Cordura sides, but the label plainly states it was made in China with a manufacture date of 10/11. There is only one side with an elastic sleeve for an accessory, and there is no sleeve behind the tool to hold bit cards.

Could you post some pictures?  I'd love to see what you are talking about.  Maybe some changes made in late 2011.
Your wish is my command.  :D Please excuse the crappy cell phone pics.

Side view; Cordura with elastic accessory sleeve.

Opposite side view; Cordura nylon.

Made in China.

Top-down view. Sleeve in the front for file/saw, no sleeve in the back for bit kit.

us Offline The Copilot

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 04:42:43 PM
Thanks for the pictures.  They help a lot.  It's a little tough to see in the pictures, but like you say it appears that the inner sides of the sheath (the ones against the tool) have been changed from elastic to Cordura and that the elastic side pockets are now only on one side of the sheath rather than on both sides.  That's too bad for folks like me who make use of both elastic side pockets.  Glad that I stockpiled a few of the older sheaths before the change was made.

The premum leather/nylon sheath never had an elastic back pocket inside.  I've only seen that on the all nylon sheath.

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 07:42:34 PM
The premum leather/nylon sheath never had an elastic back pocket inside.  I've only seen that on the all nylon sheath.
Good to know; that was the part that I really missed. I have a nylon sheath for a 4" tool that I use to keep my bit kit; I'll probably just keep that with the Surge when I think I'll need accessories.

us Offline radiotecha1234

Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 09:57:26 PM
Nite Ize has some cell phone holsters that are perfect for use with the Surge and has the exact pocket array that you are seeking. One pocket in front for the file. One in back for the bit kit and on each side for extensions. Nice bonus is the side pocket has a bottom to it so no need for a clip for the extension. Also, it has a extra loop that I use to hold a mini adjustable end wrench. 

ca Offline angusW

Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 05:45:23 AM
I bought my Surge just last week and it has the identical sheath, except the date code on mine is 11/11. I was surprised it doesn't have room for the bit kits and side pockets on either side like my Wave and TTi do but I'll be carrying my Surge in my SkinthXL.

I wonder what prompted the decision to get rid of the second side pocket and back pocket for the bit kit?

wales Offline RICHJ

Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 04:49:45 PM
Just thought I'd ressurect this thread as my Surge has arrived today with the premium sheath.
The date code on the sheath is 04/12 it has one front pocket, non-elasticated sides and one elasicated side pocket/tube.
Unfortunately I can only fit the file in its sleeve in the front pocket and can't fit the bit kit anywhere which is a bit dissapointing as it means I'll either have to carry a second sheath for the bits or buy a different sheath that will carry them all  :(

Offline Scott Sanford

Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 06:08:53 AM
The leather premium sheaths have only one side loop, while the ballistic nylon offers two (one on either side).  Also, the bit pocket is on the belt side for the nylon version, but on the outer face for the leather sheath; go figure.  Methinks the company website could be clearer on the fine details.

Both are made in China these days...

us Offline Brewc

Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 02:16:18 AM
Hi all looking for the sheath in the second post that's pictured. I don't see it listed on the LM site anyone have one for sale? Got a Wave and the molle sheath doesn't fit the 2 bit kits and the extender the way I like, plus I'd rather have leather and a snap.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:18:37 AM by Brewc »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD