Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpening an OHT blade

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Sharpening an OHT blade
on: July 29, 2011, 09:57:55 PM
Hey all,
Last week I acquired an OHT in a trade (thanks Taylor!) I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks to sharpening the blade. It doesn't need it yet, but looking at the plain edge I'm worried that I'll damage the serrations on my stone. Also for the serrations- I have a small rod sharpener on one of my pocket sharpeners. Will that work? If I used the pocket sharpener on the plain edge, will that wreck the chisel grind? I love the knife, wish I'd found these earlier. Thanks!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: Sharpening an OHT blade
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 02:11:40 AM
Nice knife, I love mine (although I have the PE version).

I've heard lots of people speak well of the spyderco sharpmaker system, which uses rods, so I would think your rod sharpener would do the trick.  The only difference is that a spyderco-type system will help keep the edge angle consistent.

As for the chisel ground part, I'm assuming your pocket sharpener has a fixed "V" type notch?  If so, it will definitely take away the chisel grind.  You may have to remove a lot of metal to turn the chisel into a normal v-grind.  It may be best to use you stone for the chisel part and the rod on the serrations.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, though.  I'm terrible at sharpening knives...  :doh:

I'm sure someone else will chime in with some better advice.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: Sharpening an OHT blade
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:53:19 PM
The Spyderco Sharpmaker , good for sharpening lots of other stuff too .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD