Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

leatherman kick disassembly

Offline jay_imok

leatherman kick disassembly
on: November 12, 2007, 03:36:35 AM
is it a black art to disassemble a leatherman tool with knurled nuts? is there a special tool, or do i just grab 2 pair of pliers and commence twisting? there is no provision for a screwdriver, torx/ phillips/ allen/ or otherwise.

thanks

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: leatherman kick disassembly
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 04:03:22 AM
Do a search in this forum for posts started by Spoonrobot...he took one apart and went through all the details...he used two pairs of locking pliers if I remember correctly.

He took a Kick and a Blast apart and filled the Kick handles with as many tools as he could fit..so he basically made a Blast in a Kicks body! :D
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 04:07:01 AM
Here's the thread Corrugated was referring to: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,1509.0.html

In it, Spoonrobot says he used a Leatherman Crunch on one end of the screw and a vise-grip plier on the other.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 04:22:11 AM
Be real careful though if you try it. It's easy to have the pliers slip and booger up the knurled screw heads.

Also be warned, Leatherman uses Lock-tite on the threads to discourage disassembly. We've been told that heating up the screw head (with a soldering iron for instance) will soften the lock-tite. Haven't tried that trick yet myself.  :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 03:02:07 AM
is it a black art to disassemble a leatherman tool with knurled nuts? is there a special tool, or do i just grab 2 pair of pliers and commence twisting? there is no provision for a screwdriver, torx/ phillips/ allen/ or otherwise.

thanks

Hey Jay, weren't you planning on buying a pocket clip for your Kick anyhow? Here's an idea; how about you buy two.

I just realized that Leatherman puts serrations around the inside of the hole on the pocket clip. They match up perfectly with the 6mm knurled heads on the Kick. Not accidentally of course; the clip hole serrations are intended to minimize the amount of 'wiggle' in the clip when installed.

So here's the great part: Buy two clips, then use them as wrenches to disassemble your Kick like you want to! No boogered screw heads!

* clip wrench 1.jpg (Filesize: 51.45 KB)

* clip wrench 2.jpg (Filesize: 53.39 KB)

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:15:27 AM
WOW! That is a really great idea!
B

Offline jay_imok

Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 11:22:49 AM
thanks all - this information will keep me busy for awhile!

Offline supratentorial

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 05:32:41 PM
...I just realized that Leatherman puts serrations around the inside of the hole on the pocket clip. They match up perfectly with the 6mm knurled heads on the Kick. Not accidentally of course; the clip hole serrations are intended to minimize the amount of 'wiggle' in the clip when installed.

So here's the great part: Buy two clips, then use them as wrenches to disassemble your Kick like you want to! No boogered screw heads!

Nice!   :multi:

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 06:12:54 PM
Can two Kick pocket clips also dissassemble other Leatherman tools with those bolts, or are the Kick bolts a diffrent size than other tools?
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 06:19:02 PM
Yes, I tried on my ST 200 and it worked fine!
B

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 11:38:59 AM
great thread, I will be using these technics/tricks in the near future! ty for sharing.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 02:54:48 AM
Can two Kick pocket clips also dissassemble other Leatherman tools with those bolts, or are the Kick bolts a diffrent size than other tools?

Sorry Corrugated, somehow I missed this question earlier:

The Kick pocket clip 'wrenches' will fit all the screws on a PST, PST II, Flair, Crunch, Pulse, and Mini-Tool.

They will also fit the blade-end screws on a SuperTool, SuperTool 200, Blast, Fuse, Kick, Core, Charge AL, and Charge ALX.

Hope this helps (better late than never, right?)  :P

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 02:58:02 AM

Sorry Corrugated, somehow I missed this question earlier:

The Kick pocket clip 'wrenches' will fit all the screws on a PST, PST II, Flair, Crunch, Pulse, and Mini-Tool.

They will also fit the blade-end screws on a SuperTool, SuperTool 200, Blast, Fuse, Kick, Core, Charge AL, and Charge ALX.

Hope this helps (better late than never, right?)  :P

I'm torn between getting two pocket clips taking my Kick and Blast apart, or just sell/trade them away :P
[

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 03:01:17 AM
if you do take em apart Cman, and still don't want them, let me know (with them all apart!) maybe we could work out something :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 03:01:47 AM

I'm torn between getting two pocket clips taking my Kick and Blast apart, or just sell/trade them away :P

Eeek! Why would you want to get rid of them?

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 04:42:04 AM

Eeek! Why would you want to get rid of them?

Not really "get rid" of them...but I'll never carry them as long as I have a Powerlock/Wave/Crunch :multi:
[

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 04:46:50 AM
mmmm cargo pants!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30