Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tomo-licious!

Chako · 38 · 5179

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Tomo-licious!
on: August 10, 2011, 09:49:22 PM
Well I wasn't going to get one until I read all of the bad comments in the Tomo Philosophy thread. I figured to myself, well if everyone hates this so much, I should get a few to try and understand the general dislike for the Japanese designed Tomo.

Well I just got them in. I was expecting to figure all the negativity once I had one in my hands, but I must say, the Tomo seems to be a very nice product. I can't for the life of me understand the prejudice against it to be honest. I guess it boils down to personal opinions, and I am fine with that, as you will be hearing about mine soon. :D

The egg carton packaging is pure genius. The colour matching fabric hair tie does set the purity of the white egg carton material off nicely. In fact, the colours literally pop out at you. Likewise, if you are to flip the package, you can see a nice little hole that will confirm if the Tomo colouring matches its elastic band.  This is important as the Tomo comes in 7 different colours.

Opening the very elegant packaging, I was greeted with the controversial knife. My first impression, those corners would be uncomfortable and would dig in. My next thought was how cheap the knife might feel, quickly followed by how light the knife might be. All of these questions were soon answered once I took out the white Tomo. A nice weight in the hand. I was worried there wouldn't be any substance to the Tomo. My fears were warrantless. I took a closer look at those corners, and found them to be subtly sculpted. No sharp corners here.  The Tomo does not feel like a cheap knife. Its shape actually makes it feel a bit more substantial than the very rounded Classic. I like the feel, shape, and weight of the Tomo. Call me a convert.  :tu:

White.

Capri Blue.

Lemon Yellow.

Victorinox Red.

Apple Green.

Mint Green.

Pink.

Next up, the Tomo sheath. It is made entirely from white leather. The contrast between the white and most Tomo knife colours is visually striking. There is no belt loop, but then it would be useless on something this small.

The Tomo Sheath is held by a simple loop, and it fits the knife like a glove.

The colours of the Tomo are a nice addition to the usual Victorinox fare.

So my take on the Tomo? I like the shape, weight, and colours of the Tomo. I am having a hard time finding any faults with the knife. It may be a little larger than the Classic in some dimensions, but its thinness gives you the impression that the knife isn't all that large either. I personally like its shape. The flat planes give you plenty of surface to grip...and the texture of the plastic/nylon handles is just right in my opinion.

I think this will be a big hit with women who tend to be a little more fashion conscious then men overall. That is just a guess on my part however. Any mental issues I had from reading the bad press in that thread were quickly dissipated once I had the hardware in my paws.  :salute:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:02:58 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Re: Tomo-licious!
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:52:57 PM
Thanks for the light review and great photographs as per usual Dan! You've certainly changed my mind about the product (through not necesarily about the design philosophy). I may pick up one of the brighter colors for the heck of it. :tu:

I love the packaging, and that sheath!

EDIT: Still don't understand the design. :P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:00:55 PM by Freudian Frog »
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:05:11 PM
I really wasn't going to buy one until some of that negativity got me curious. I was prepared to dislike it based on other's opinions, but once I took the knife out, it won me over quickly.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:11:54 PM
I really wasn't going to buy one until some of that negativity got me curious. I was prepared to dislike it based on other's opinions, but once I took the knife out, it won me over quickly.

Heck, no one really dislikes it other than the fact that it removes some of the classic's functions only for a slight return on style. Style which is wholely based on opinion. :P

I just don't understand how it's "simpler" or even "Japanese." :rofl:
But I like the bright looks and the packaging and especially the sheath (though I wish they threw a matching line of color on it like on the egg cartons). It's certainly more of a collector's thing, or for those who appreciate its style.
Got those frog legs.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:09:42 PM
I just don't understand how it's "simpler" or even "Japanese." :rofl:

Same here :think:

Why is a sheath even included and is it molle compatible :D

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 11:10:55 PM
The sheath is separate.

In unrelated news:  I must resist... I must resist... smurf. >.< :drool:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:32:49 PM
Nope, still ugly, sorry.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:34:06 PM
 :D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 11:35:48 PM
Thank you for the great write up. The shape seems a bit odd to me but that's probably because it's something different. I really like the Apple Green and Blue. How much do they cost?
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 11:37:23 PM
About 20 dollars each.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 11:50:49 PM
Some comparison shots with a Classic.

You can see, size is very similar. It just looks a lot larger in photos.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 12:10:57 AM
Its actually very closely sized to the classic to my surprise. It seemed as it would be a bit larger.
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 01:32:17 AM
I don't get it - it is no narrower, shorter or slimmer - why couldn't they have fitted the tweezers & toothpick?  I can understand the Alox Classic losing the tweezers & toothpick, that is the trade-off for the slimmer tool, but why couldn't the Tomo have had a couple of suitable grooves made somewhere for the removable tools?

To me it looks ugly and it has less features, I don't see the appeal.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 03:04:34 AM
Nice Photos!  I think Chako does make them look more appealing.  I know I'll be getting 3 of the colors as soon as they go on sale a bit.  I also LOVE the pouch... all most all the really nice condition old small knives I find have bene stored in a pouch... we need more pouches.  Now I may not put a tomo in that pouch but I want them anyway.  so 3 knives and 2 pouches at least.  I'm not really convinced of the design, but I like the some of the colors and the pouch.  I'll have to get some just for the collection.

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:45:09 AM
ooohhh ill take the blue! ande the yellow... and withe, and green  :ahhh ill take them all  :D

i am with you chako, i really like the tomo, i am fine without T&T, i really like the design.

very nice shots BTW  :tu: :salute:
custom swiss army knives

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 04:39:49 AM
That's hard for a multitool/sak/knife enthusiast to like this design, because it's completely unrelated.
Just a curious note: when this was first announced on MTO, general people reaction was the same as it is now, but there were a japanese member who actually manifest desire into having this (see http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,25403.msg458357.html#msg458357). Perhaps this will be a winner on oriental longitudes.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 10:48:17 AM
Nice pics & thanks for the review. I'm still not sure if I like them :)
The sheath is very nice, though.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 11:38:19 AM
I didn't know it came with a sheath. :)
And a hair tie? That one seems funny to me for some reason.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 11:49:23 AM
Thanks for the views Chako  :salute:

My negativity was definitely pointed more towards the design promo vid more than the tool itself ... the tool itself did nothing for me but IMO the twaddle that was being said about the philosophy was prime grade rant fodder.  :D :D

I'll not be grabbing one personally, they don't appeal to me on any level (alongside a classic, yeah they do look plug ugly) although I'm sure they'll be a nice collectors item or even EDC for the right person. I'll stick to the "proper" shaped ones though  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 12:10:12 PM
Well then you will be missing out then. If you can live without the tweezers and toothpick, the Tomo shape is actually better then the "proper" shape for holding the knife steady. The rounded classic has a tendency to roll around when in use. The Tomo doesn't.

But to each their own. My intent was not to convert others. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.  :D

Stirling3749, I do believe that the hair tie, not only being a very nice touch on the packaging, sort of points to the true demographics for this knife.  :think:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:13:44 PM by Chako »

de Offline Jmora

Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 12:48:17 PM
thanks for the photos.
I can see better how the design makes sense if you think of it in terms of an accessory aimed at women, to go in the handbag.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 12:59:41 PM
Well then you will be missing out then. If you can live without the tweezers and toothpick, the Tomo shape is actually better then the "proper" shape for holding the knife steady. The rounded classic has a tendency to roll around when in use. The Tomo doesn't.

But to each their own. My intent was not to convert others. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.  :D

Stirling3749, I do believe that the hair tie, not only being a very nice touch on the packaging, sort of points to the true demographics for this knife.  :think:

That's interesting! I must admit I've never really had a problem with the classic form, but didn't expect these to feel better in hand - quite the reverse. OK, I'll not say never - having gone back on never's too often before ;) so I'll wait a few months till that hairband could be useful to me to see if I've changed my mind  :rofl:

Forgot to say I do agree with you on the egg box packaging - I think that is something they should go with across a wider range and not just the Tomo

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 10:39:44 PM

Yeah I know. :) I'm actually glad they made this knife, it's not for me but it may advance our pocket knife culture a little bit and and help to do away with that whole "knives are weapons" mentality that some people still can't get out of.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 04:08:19 AM
I got the yellow, green and mint (aqua) ones because I like the different colors and will checkout the handling.  Of course I also got a couple sheaths, just because.

Apparantly besides Tomo meaning friend, it can be used as a personal name. Currently more for females (but that might just be a contemporary thing), it means Wisdom or Intelligence.  So the smart girl might be one that carries this friend in her purse. There is more indepth stuff if you believe in the significance of a name.

Offline Sebastian Torres

• New User
Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 05:46:06 AM
I don't get it - it is no narrower, shorter or slimmer - why couldn't they have fitted the tweezers & toothpick?  I can understand the Alox Classic losing the tweezers & toothpick, that is the trade-off for the slimmer tool, but why couldn't the Tomo have had a couple of suitable grooves made somewhere for the removable tools?

To me it looks ugly and it has less features, I don't see the appeal.

If you take a look at the shape of the tweezers' head (and the toothpick as well) you'll see that the grey plastic is not squared, nor flat but a little rounded so it can fit the contour of the Classic handles (and other mini SAKs, of course.) It wouldn't fit in the body of a Tomo because the latter has a straight surface. So adding tweezers and a toothpick to a Tomo would imply making different tweezers' heads and also reshaping the toothpick's heads to be put in mass production, and maybe it doesn't worth because it seems that the Tomo production won't be for a long time (that's my opinion, I might be wrong), it just seems to me that they will be a special edition or something like that.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 08:21:17 PM
do they come with the sheath? or are those extra, i like the green one
I

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 09:16:35 PM
The sheath is not included.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 11:17:08 PM
Its actually very closely sized to the classic to my surprise. It seemed as it would be a bit larger.
Absolutely agree, it looks like it should be much bigger than it actually is. 

If it's more comfortable to hold then I can see the point, one of the reasons I like a 74mm SAK over a 58mm is that I find the 58mm's just a touch too small to use so this shape might well suit me better.  Sadly, though I do like some of the colours, I'm still ambivalent to the looks. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

sg Offline demonoflust

Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 11:31:33 AM
That is not bad and quite cool actually. Esp for girls, it look like accessory that a knife.

Some comparison shots with a Classic.

(Image removed from quote.)

You can see, size is very similar. It just looks a lot larger in photos.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%