Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Great read of the Soldier Knife in Knife World 2005.

Chako · 11 · 4193

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Great read of the Soldier Knife in Knife World 2005.
on: August 13, 2011, 04:06:10 PM
I wish I could re-type this highly informative article for you to read, but unsure how much trouble I may get from Knife World or the author.

I guess all I can do is to direct you to the article...

Knife World Vol. 31, No. 12, December 2005. The Swiss Army Soldier Knife, by Daniel J. Jacquart.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Great read of the Soldier Knife in Knife World 2005.
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:29:29 PM
Ah well too good to pass up...

Here is an article that I re-typed for you folks on the Swiss Army Soldier Knife that was published in "Knife World, Vol. 31, No.12 December 2005". It is probably one of the best reads on the venerable Swiss Army Soldier Knife I have come across to date. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 

The Swiss Army Soldier Knife - Unraveling Some of the Mystery.
By Daniel J. Jacquart.

For some time now I've been curious about the story behind the Swiss Army Soldier knife, the original "Swiss Army Knife" I've seen a number of accounts as to the why and wherefore, but they seemed to be lacking and inconsistent in one area or another. To satisfy my curiosity, I began digging to see what I could find out and put together. The following information has been gathered from translated information contained in articles written by Horst A. Brunner, Martin Frosch, Edmund Fasnacht and Theodore Rubitschon, and from historical materials in my personal archive and files.

Shortly after Karl Elsener started his business, the Swiss Army decided that their soldiers should be given a special pocketknife as part of their issue equipment. In 1886, they decided to issue a pocketknife to each enlisted soldier as part of their regular equipment. This first knife had a single blade, and was one of a range of implements intended for the use of the solider in maintaining his equipment.

Since there was no cutlery industry in Switzerland at the time, cutlers in Solingen, Germany were asked to produce those first knives. These early knives, including the first Swiss produced knives, are sometimes referred to as "Black Knives". The reason for this name is that they were produced with oak wood handles, which were treated with rape oil that turned the wood a grey to black color. At least some of these early knives were produced by Wester & Company and D. Peres, both of Solingen. Some were also produced by L + Co, and L + C Vallorbe (Octave Leresche et Cie, Forges de Vallorbe)which has becom today's Wenger N.A. Two other names listed in connection with these early knives include Stadler Zug and J. Pfenninger, though there is little known as to the amount of their connection. The knife maker's name or their stamps will, usually but not always, be found at the base of the main blade or on the blade itself.

When this happened Karl Elsener, who in 1884 had started his own knife making business, felt that a Swiss company should produce these knives. He proceeded to assemble a number of cutlers and knife smiths to form an industry in Switzerland to produce these knives. As a result of his efforts, in October of 1891, the first Swiss versions of the Soldier Knife were produced and supplied to the Army by Karl Elsener.

In 1889, a new type of rifle had been issued to the Swiss Army. This rifle required the use of a screwdriver to service it, so a screwdriver had to be issued with each rifle. The utilitarian piece of equipment designed to meet this need was a knife containing a screwdriver blade and also a cutting blade, a can opener to use in opening soldier's rations, and an awl which would be used to service the soldier's gear. From this point on, listed in the soldier's service booklet under personal effects, was "1 Soldier Knife, a tool for weapons, to help with the food supply, a cleaning tool for the shoe soles, and from the beginning a tool to clean the fingernails."

It was interesting to learn that two knife designs were originally submitted for approval. One did not have a can opener, and the other did - and that is the one that was chosen. The Soldier Knife became an official piece of issued equipment on December 6, 1890.

It is interesting to note that the Swiss Army is the only army in the world to have a pocketknife as an official item of issued equipment for all of their soldiers. The recruit's service booklet makes mention of the knife's proper deployment. As early as 1891, service manuals for the rifle referred to "the screwdriver on the pocketknife." The service booklet issue of 1899 states, "The Soldier knife with screwdriver belongs in the pants pocket." The service booklet in 1903 contains the statement (by translation) "3a. Rifle accessories will be stored in the rifle cleaning pouch to be stored in the backpack. The Soldier knife goes into the pants pocket."

The general order for infantry practice in 1903 states the following. "1. Those, who have served since the year 1892 and joined later who have received the knife gratis with their outfitting, shall return the Soldier Knife upon discharge of their military duties with their equipment, or must pay 2.50 francs for the missing knife. Departures from the land militia may keep the knife after completing their service. 2. Those joining the service in 1891 or before who have paid for the knife shall keep same after discharge. A charge of 2.50 francs shall be charged to those having received the knife gratis as recruits. 3. Officers shall follow the same rules as those who joined in 1891 or earlier."

During the period 1891 to 1920, many different manufacturers made the Soldier Knife, including some German firms. Officially, only acceptance stamped knives were distributed to the troops. However, there were many unstamped knives obtained privately by soldiers to replace lost knives or those damaged outside of service. If the  knife was damaged during regular service time, i could be traded at the arsenal for a new one.

In this manner, the War Material Administration received ownership of "illegally" traded Soldier Knives, which were uncontrolled, unstamped and of which about ten percent were of German origin. It is said that the German knives used steel that was not as hard as the Swiss steel, and striking one blade against another, the German knife would be nicked. Having to repair these German knives angered the Swiss knife smiths, who wanted to have the competition from Solingen taken out of the supply market. On March 14, 1916, Karl Elsener wrote a letter to the Technical War Department (KTA) of the Swiss Confederation Military Department. They responded by stating that in the future, only stamped knives would be sold at all sales outlets, because people needed to know that this was a military knife. After 1920, the only knife producers that remained were Elsener and Wenger, and from this time on, the EMD began giving half of the orders to each of them.

The first model of the Soldier Knife is known as the "Modell 1890". With the production started by the Swiss company owned by Karl Elsener in Ibach-Schwyz, near Zurich, these knives were produced as it were in "home industry" settings. Many knife smiths were involved, with parts and pieces produced by the different knife smiths and brought together at a few locations where master cutlers then assembled the pieces into finished knives. These first knives were 100 mm long with the greatest width of 20.5 mm. The thickness at the cheeks was 17.1 mm and the finished weight was 144 grams. However, because of the crude methods used to produce the knives, which were made entirely by hand, there was a wide range of tolerances.

At this time the steel used in making the knives was very susceptible to rust. Since the knives were required to be presented at each and every equipment inspection, many of the soldiers who were issued these knives took to wrapping them in grease cloth to keep them in good condition.

The drawing used to produce these first knives was KTA "Technical War Department) drawing 1890. These first knives were stamped with an acceptance stamp, which was in the form of a cross, type A in the illustration provided here. The stamp was placed on the handle, usually in the area of the large pivot rivet for the can opener and awl.

In 1901, the wood handles were replaced with a reddish color fiber material. This was due to the lack of durability of the wood handles. This change was directed by the Government War Material Ministration (KMV), Technical Division, in September 1901. Otherwise, the design of the knives, the measurements and the acceptance stamp remained the smae as before.

In 1908, a new model was introduced, which was named "Modell 08". This design was according to KTA drawing 458, and the knife was changed as follows. The cutting blade shape was hanged from the Modell 1890's spear point blade to a clip point style, and all of the tools were made slightly smaller. The measurements of the knife also changed to 100 mm long, largest width 16.5 mm, thickness at check 15 mm, and weight of 125 grams. The acceptance stamp remained as type A until 1915, when it was changed to type B. The letters "W-K" stamped in the cross indicated "Waffenkontrol" (Weapons Control).

Some of the Modell 08 knives have turned up in collector hands with chromed blades. Since the metal used in the knives was not rust free, some soldiers took to having the blades chrome plated for use in inspection, and purchased a second knife for actual use.

In 1921, another stamp was added. This was on the large blade, and consists of two numbers, which show the year of manufacture. This process has stayed in place even today, although I have heard that the Army has not ordered any knives for some time due to an oversupply. Still another stamp, which is not always understood, sometimes occurs on the knives. This is the letter "P" (P = Private) which may be stamped on the large blade or on the handles. It is placed on the knife to indicate that it was sold for civilian use, and was not issued as a soldier's equipment. A mistaken explanation is that it indicates  a repaired knife, but repaired knives received a stamp with two small crosses inside a circle on the handle. After repair and inspection. It is not known how long this stamp was in use.

With the exception noted, the Modell 08 knife remained in use without any changes until 1951. Knife model 51 was introduced by KTA drawing 13260 on September 25, 1951. The new knife was produced in stainless steel, with the fiber handles as before. The large blade was changed to again have the spear point design, and a notch was added to the screwdriver blade to be used in removing wire cable covering. A hollow rivet was used in the pivot point of the can opener and the awl. This was so the knife could be used as a sighting plumb bob by being fastened to a cord and hung on the Storm weapon model 57, when firing rifle grenades. Measurement of the model 51 were: length 93mm. greatest width 13.55 mm, thickness at the cheeks 13.25 mm, and weight 90 grams.

Records indicate that Victorinox did not produce any Soldier Knives in 1951. In 1954, a small washer was added under the hollow rivet to strengthen it.

In 1956, a third supplier entered the scene, although little is known about them. The company Rothlisberger Barau, was listed as a supplier of Soldier Knives. No production numbers are available, and I am unable to find much about them expect that they were listed as suppliers for the years 1956 and 1957. They are still in business today, making knives for special use.

In 1957, Wenger began to use Grillon (platics) handles on their knives. From January 16, 1958, KTA drawing 14671 directed that handles on all of the new knives were to be changed to Grilo0n. Karl Elsener's firm, now called Victorinox, refused to do so, and continued to produce their knives with the fiber handles.

In 1961, an entirely new design knife was introduced by drawing 15384. This new knife had handles made from a fluted aluminum alloy called alox, and colored red. A solid rivet replaced the hollow handle rivet and angled shape was added to be the screwdriver blade. The inside of the cap lifter was sharpened for use as a cable cover removing tool. A new can opener design was added with a small screwdriver at the tip. The awl received a sharpened edge and was brought to a sharp point. The position of the can opener and the screwdriver was switched to prevent accidents in use while disassembling the model 57 rifle. The measurements of the new design knife were length 93mm, thickness 12 mm,  and weight 72 grams. The control stamp was also redesigned as type C. In 1960 and 1961, Victorinox supplied no knives to the Army. They began delivering again on June 19, 1962.

Beginning in 1961, Wenger was directed to use the Victorinox designed can opener on its Soldier Knives only. In 1965, the red coloring was removed from the handles, as it did not wear very well. The handles were changed to a plain silver color.

In 1972, the control stamp was changed by turning it 90 degrees. In 1972 and in 1974, Victorinox did not supply any knives to the Army. In 1977 the Swiss Coat of Arms was added, the hollow handle rivet returned, and a new control stamp was designed, type D, and placed on the handle near the hollow rivet.

Since 1988, the control stamp has not been used. Drawing L40 9561 e from May 16, 1988 states: "The control mark is dropped." In 1993, the hollow rivet was replaced by a solid rivet, the screwdriver was made 0.4 mm thinner and received a small notch for use in bending wire.

I am certain that this information will not answer all of the questions that collectors of these knives will ask, but I hope it will help. I do know that variations and differences will be found, but remember - as far back as first production, parts inventories were used until they were used up, so not all parts appear on the knives they were intended for in a certain year. Only time will tell all of the story.

Today, after over 100 years, the Soldier Knife is perhaps the most collectable of the Victorinox knives. They are so, in part, because of their scarcity. The knife is issued to all new recruits, and is expected to remain part of their equipment for the rest of their life. If they are lost or damaged, it is the responsibility of the solider to repair or replace it. They must be shown at every inspection. They hold a place of honor in the families of soldiers who lose their lives in service to the country, or for any other means, so it stands to reason that they are not readily available.

Much has changed with the knife over its more than 100 years. It has changed appearance a few times, it has changed its weight a few times, and a number of functions have been added but its character remains the same as does that certain mystique, which only adds to its desirability.

The regular Soldier Knife is today often confused with the Officer's knife, which actually does not have any military connection. The Army never issued the Officer's knife to the officers, even the officers receive the basic Soldier Knife. Oddly then, it is the various models of the Officer's knife that have become known to the entire world as the "Swiss Army Knife." The relationship is formed from the fact that Karl Elsener had intended that the officers should have a lighter pocketknife with a smaller blade and a corkscrew. It was an idea that was not accepted by the military, but had become a non-military sales success throughout the world. The proof of this lies in the many and continuous attempts to imitate the design and usefulness. The success of these two knife designs has, in fact, made Victorinox the largest pocketknife producer in Europe today.

Ed. Note: Author  Dan Jacquart is President of the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Collectors Society. \

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:56:00 PM
Very cool!  8)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:17:18 PM
Awesome read thank you for sharing. It makes me think that our military should make LEATHERMAN a official military MT and design a new MT for all our soldiers.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:04:05 AM
Thanks for re-typing that;  I hope Dan is OK with it.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 01:16:37 AM
Thanks Dan!

At first I was like, whoa, wall of text. Then I read it and I was like :climber:. :D
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 01:46:49 AM
Just think how i felt typing it all.

pr Offline jatrias

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 03:33:32 AM
 :cheers: Thank you!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 08:03:41 AM
Just think how i felt typing it all.

I thought you had used a scanner and some OCR magic :)
Thanks for posting this.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 02:05:04 PM
thanks for making the effort Chako  :cheers:,
that is fascinating. I'll know to keep an eye out for the 'third' swiss army knife company - that is of course the company on that other thread that makes the 'custom SAKs' - we wondered if they just adapt vic or wenger saks, in fact they made their own, at least for a while (can't find the thread right now). Its funny that they say that the soldiers are hard to come by, or that the knife always remains a treasured possession for the old soldiers. I'm sure that's true for many of them, but then again, a lot of them end up on ebay.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 03:27:44 PM
They do not show up much on eBay.ca...but I am sure it is quite different in Europe.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21