Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Should My Second SAK Be?

Poll

What should I do?

Caddy Rover (no retractable pen) - $7
0 (0%)
Manager - 12$
6 (60%)
Amefa KL75 Dutch Knife (Didn't see a Victorinox out there) - maybe $16
3 (30%)
Caddy Plus (with a pen) - $32ish
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

us Offline BN3140

on: August 16, 2011, 04:17:50 AM
So I'm new and currently have a classic SD. About two weeks ago I got frustrated with the fact that it lacked a bottle opener... So I thought I'd look for a new knife. After researching, I got fascinated, joined this forum, and have come across a few knives on ebay etc. that I can't choose between. I'm thinking I want something the same size as the classic, but more functional. I specifically want a bottle cap opener due to my love/addiction for Coca Cola. This led me to the Manager. In addition I frequently golf, so the divot repair tool, which I always misplace, looks useful. This is why I'm thinking about the caddy knives. I also find the retractable pen thingies fascinating. I've seen them on occasion and always marvel at how ingenious they are. As an artist I'd definitely get to using it. In addition, my ancestors are from the Netherlands, so I looked for knives that were related to the Netherlands. The little classic series knives with different countries flags look cool, but lack the functions (besides the knife) that I want; however old SAKs used my the military there at least have a bottle opener  :D.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: What Should My Second SAK Be?
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 04:40:15 AM
You are missing another option...the buy them all option.  :pok:  :pok:  :D

This way, you can have it all for different occasions.

However, if I must select one for now, the Manager would be it. You can also replace the tweezers with an LED light...the Midnight Manager. If you want the LED, go with the white. The red is not all that bright.

Nuphoria is going to kill me...but check out the Compact under 91mm knives on SAKWiki.com.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline BN3140

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 04:53:13 AM
Oh a buy them all option is tantalizing, but I really should be saving my money for a car. Thanks for the positive input for the manager, and the compact looks cool... maybe someday I will get one of them...

de Offline Jmora

Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:49:42 AM
if you are interested in the dutch soldiers, I would recommend hanging out for a victorinox one, they are great, and would complement the classic (classic has scissors, soldier everything else). They are on ebay every now and again, or someone here might sell you one.
+1 for the compact, bottle opener is better than on the little manager (though the latter is perfectly adequate, I have one on my keyring)

Chako, I'm curious why does Nuphoria kill people who are into the compact?  ??? :D

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:05:35 AM
The (midnite) Manager is a very good option. Alternatively, you could go for a Rambler or maybe a MiniChamp. It is also possible to swap the scales so you end up with a 58mm SAK with the combo opener tool and a Dutch flag :D

If you are interested in Dutch alox soldiers I may be able to help you. I have an Amefa KL 74 in not-so-perfect condition and I may have a few Victorinox ones.

Greetings from the Netherlands :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:07:14 AM by Reinier »
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 12:41:28 PM
The second one you buy should be the one before the third.... the fourth.... fifth....  :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 01:23:49 PM
Inside joke.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 01:37:37 PM
+1 on the mini champ. It's hard to beat for the size. Other than that a golfer or compact would work nicely.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline BN3140

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 07:40:24 AM
Well, I've seen lots of great suggestions, and the Manager is a clear winner, but I happened upon this and discovered that they had a Caddy Plus for $10 and couldn't pass up the deal. It's similar enough to the Manager to please me, but lacking in a file which I don't think I've ever really used on my classic anyway. The site says the Caddy Plus is sold out now, but maybe another knife they have will be of interest to someone else. Also, Reinier, check your PMs.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:42:11 AM by BN3140 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD