Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Will the Swisstool ever have zero bladeplay like the spirit?.

us Offline mashguy4077

I love the swisstool.

It is my favorite multitool ever and I carry it everyday. But I cant stand the blade play.

Every spirit that I have had or played with had none. How is that possible?. Is the lock designed different?.

Will victorinox ever change the lock of the swisstool over to the lock of the spirit?.

That would be awesome :drool:

ca Offline Gogoas

Re: Will the Swisstool ever have zero bladeplay like the spirit?.
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 12:33:17 PM
I guess you could pop a letter to victorinox and see what they have to say about it.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 02:04:25 PM
The Spirit is a refined , slightly downsized Swisstool , they went up the learning curve quite a bit .

Chris

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 06:36:10 PM
The Spirit is a refined , slightly downsized Swisstool , they went up the learning curve quite a bit .

Chris

So if it was a learning curve, do you think the newest swisstools will eventually have that lock?.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 07:17:32 PM
I don't think they will change it, the company sticks to its old designs, that it is traditionally a slipjoint maker means that they are not terribly concerned with up/down blade play on their few locking blades, at least 50% of all 111mms that I have handled had a slight downward bladeplay.

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 01:22:30 AM
There's also the fact that there are users (like me) that just don't see how it matters.  My SwissTool X has the faintest amount of up/down blade play that I don't even know about unless I specifically check for it.  It makes no difference at all in the use of the tool and I have trouble understanding how it is an issue in any way.  It seems to me that some people want zero blade play for the sake of having zero blade play rather than for any performance issues.  Since the other 99.99% of users don't care, Victorinox is unlikely to do anything about it.

The same goes for my Trekker & OHT - there is blade play, but it doesn't affect anything so I just don't care.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 04:00:33 PM
I don't understand why people get some jerked up over blade play. I basically ignore it unless my blade falls off. :rofl: :D

de Offline Jmora

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 05:26:53 PM
sure, it makes no practical difference for the most part, but its just nice when everything does lock up solid. I like how smooth the tools on the spirit open out, but that also has no real meaning for the function.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%