Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thinking of buying a Swiss Tool. Which one?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Thinking of buying a Swiss Tool. Which one?
on: August 20, 2011, 05:44:56 AM
I am thinking about giving Victorinox a try in the Multitool market. I have taken a liking to the Spirit. Is there anything I should know about it? Is there better MT's in the Victorinox line?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Thinking of buying a Swiss Tool. Which one?
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 05:57:33 AM
There is nothing better than the Spirit, except another Spirit, you have to choose the one that has the best tool set for you.

BUT don't take my word for it; first buy this Monster Swiss Tool on EDC source  (its a bargain  :D)  so you have something to compare the Spirit to later.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 06:12:34 AM by ICanFixThat »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 06:01:30 AM
There is nothing better than the Spirit, except another Spirit, you have to choose the one that has the best tool set for you.

BUT don't take my word for it; first buy this Monster Swiss Tool and EDC source  (its a bargain  :D)  so you have something to compare the Spirit to later.

Are you the one selling it.  :D
I'm the milk man!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 06:06:14 AM
Well depends on what tool load you want  :think:. Me I like the X as it has the scissors & I like having a saw & file. Not overly fussed about missing out on the serrated edge blade. That said I seem to own only standard Swisstools that do not have scissors  ::) ::). I did handle a X but I purchased that as a gift for a buddy. As a user I would nab a X , one day  :think: :D :D

This thread gives a bit of info http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,1575.0.html

That is a nice set ICFT has for sale  8) :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 06:08:59 AM
Well depends on what tool load you want  :think:. Me I like the X as it has the scissors & I like having a saw & file. Not overly fussed about missing out on the serrated edge blade. That said I seem to own only standard Swisstools that do not have scissors  ::) ::). I did handle a X but I purchased that as a gift for a buddy. As a user I would nab a X , one day  :think: :D :D

This thread gives a bit of info http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,1575.0.html

That is a nice set ICFT has for sale  8) :D :D

Thank you for the link. I have some reading to do.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 06:15:28 AM

BUT don't take my word for it; first buy this Monster Swiss Tool on EDC source  (its a bargain  :D)  so you have something to compare the Spirit to later.

There is a stricking resemblence in the monikers, but that's only because we're twins.  :angel:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 02:02:37 PM
The Spirit will do 95% of what the Swisstool will do in a more ergonomic envelope . The X and S model are my faves . The "Butterknife " standard model is also a great tool .

Of the Swisstools , I like the RS model best /

Chris

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 02:37:31 PM
Last month I bought my first Spirit (the "Road Tour" edition) and I absolutely love it, click here for pics ;).  I like it so much that I actually ordered myself a couple more (I will have to wait untill somewhere in September untill they arrive, but they are worth it  ;)).  And if I had to pic just one I would go for the Spirit X, second choice would be the Spirit S.

To be honest, a year ago I thought the Spirit looked a bit like a Wave that was "poorly assembled", but man was I wrong ...   :-[.
(never too old to learn I guess ...)

de Offline Jmora

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 02:45:27 PM

There is a stricking resemblence in the monikers, but that's only because we're twins.  :angel:
and which one of you is the evil one?  >:D :D
...buying a swisstool is a good idea, and also on my list one day, I have the spirit with two blades and is an elegant tool. I wouldn't mind the BO cap crimper model as a shelf queen though.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 03:16:09 PM
I have a Swisstool RS and a Spirit X.  Both are great tools.  I prefer the Spirit for EDC because the Spirit is 27% lighter (and only a little smaller),  but it feels like 50% the weight AND size of the RS. I also prefer the slightly narrower pliers of the Spirit.

One thing you should know is that the spirit scissors are different than the standard SAK scissors found on the full sized Swisstools. In order to sharpen the Spirit scissors you have to pop out the spring from the scissors (which is pretty easy; I push them out with the screwdriver tip from a vic classic sd) and that frees up the scissors for sharpening.  I find the Spirit scissors very easy to sharpen due to their thick bevel.

and this link might help: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5232.0.html

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:31:50 PM by shamus »

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 03:23:48 PM
There seems to be a mistake in the title  "Which one?" Should be "Which one should I buy first?"

I recently got my first Spirit.  I got the X model and it really pretty awesome.  It is very compact and quite pocketable. Compared to the swisstool, it is significantly smaller but feels just as solid.  The swisstool is awesome and I always seem to have either the swisstool or spirit nearby.  I really like the BO models and they wear very well.

“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 11:43:45 AM
Yeah I'd say the Spirit can handle pretty much anything a bigger Swisstool can and in some cases the tools are actually beefier on the spirit.
What Shamus said about the scissors is probably the biggest difference between the two unless you pan on putting some major torque on the pliers in which case you'd be better off with the original ST.
Personally I like the scissors on the Spirit better, they don't open as far but are very solid and the thick spring feels like it will last forever and gives me the confidence to cut harder materials like plastics without worry of breaking anything.

Oh yeah, another thing perhaps worthy of noting is the lack of a ruler on the Spirit.
Don't know if that matters to you or not, I kinda like having a ruler but after holding those curvy pliers for the first time I think you'll agree it's not THAT big of a compromise.  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%