Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SteelEdge Tool w/Light.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
SteelEdge Tool w/Light.
on: December 12, 2007, 03:26:22 AM
Happened upon an interesting tool in an interesting place last weekend.

Wishing to condense my Christmas shopping into one lightning fast day I head Eastward toward Columbus, Georgia to take advantage of their very large, very well stocked shopping centers. On the way I noticed this out my window from the interstate.

Feeling the urge to explore slowly overtaking my senses I exited the highway and begun hunting down the building in question. Finding it was rather simple, most 1/5 mile long, abandoned buildings rather are. Parking the car and wandering around the grounds I found a few people to ask my myriad variety of questions. Turns out the building was an old Mill, the largest in the country at one point and now divided into a few different businesses. There is a Convention Center, a Boutique and a Thrift Mall. The mill itself is freakin' huge, it just begs to be explored.

I hit the Convention Center purely on accident and after speaking to one of the staff there was directed to the Boutique. Wherein I found two very friendly ladies who gave me a small tour of their building and of the mill itself. The mill is mostly empty and is sealed off into sections. The section I saw was on the ground floor and was maybe 100x200 feet in area with a 20 foot ceiling supported by large columns every 24" or so. Quite impressive. They in turn directed me to the thrift mall, located in the mill proper. We come now to the main point of this post, if you don't like pictures of abandoned buildings.

Poking around the thrift mall I found this little guy.

Imagine that, a multi-tool amidst piles and piles of junk. For 4.00$. Seeing the tiny light on the end I snapped it up. My fascination with tools/lights in growing daily and this example was the most interesting one yet.

This tool is old enough that the light is an actual tiny incandescent bulb. Powered by a AAA battery the light produced is extremely weak. It works for up close reading by is so dim it cannot be used navigate around the house in darkness. Dim.

The tool contains four different implements. A Wharncliffe knife blade, a smallish flathead driver, a philips driver and a bottle opener. The implements are typical old-school Chinese. Soft lines on the tools but functional. The tools look like the are held in a slipjoint fashion but are actually just held by rivet tension. Tool clumping is not an issue. Now, this is at best a light use tool (you may have guess this already  ::)), it actually creaks like an old screen door when you torque any of the drivers at all, very funny. The tool has a pocket clip, it is thin plastic and seems very fragile.

A size comparison, because I think it is quite funny, compared with a cigarette, a lighter, a Spyderco Captain and a Gerber MP600.

All-in-all not a bad find. I am actually edcing this tool for awhile because I am smitten by the form factor. Seems to be an almost perfect blend of tool/light with neither one overtaking the other.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: SteelEdge Tool w/Light.
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 03:41:53 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like the clock in Back To The Future!

That's a neat little knife/light you found...do you think it would be worth a try replacing the tiny blub with a LED out of something like a $1 keychain LED? 

I like the "homage" to the Victorinox shield :D
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 03:49:02 AM

Phillips screws in China must be different than ours here eh? Judging by the phillips screwdrivers they produce, their screws must have roundish holes in the end, with tiny almost-nonexistent ribs sticking up for the screwdriver to engage  ::)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 04:06:04 AM
I'm trying hard not to replace the dim bulb with a hot-shot 50K LED. I think if I keep it stock it will preserve it's collector value (can you say an increase of 0.50$-0.75$ in value in the next 50 years, yesssss!).

The philips driver head is also off-axis in relation to a regular driver so the tool must be rotated 1/4 turn to engage the screw. I like carrying different equipment every now and again, really makes me appreciate how far model tool makers are technologically.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 04:12:40 AM
All-in-all not a bad find. I am actually edcing this tool for awhile because I am smitten by the form factor. Seems to be an almost perfect blend of tool/light with neither one overtaking the other.

Y'know, there are actually quite a few interesting concepts coming out of China these days. It's just a crying shame that the quality of construction is so dreadful. Imagine for a moment if your little tool was made by Victorinox. It would be hailed the world over, and rightly so.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%