Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone like the Rucksack?

us Offline 6thtexas

Anyone like the Rucksack?
on: September 03, 2011, 06:44:02 PM
I lost my OHT about 4 weeks ago and have been out of a 111mm model.  I almost ordered a Hunter, but broke down and ordered a Rucksack from Felinevet.  Anybody use one of these?  I mainly got it for the saw as I wanted one that was a bit longer than the camper.  This will go hunting and woods roaming with me and I didn't think I'd use the gut hook much, hence the Rucksack.

us Offline MirrorEdge

Re: Anyone like the Rucksack?
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 07:25:56 PM
It look great if that what you want to know  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 07:41:58 PM
I was just fondling a Rucksack just a few weeks ago and I rather liked it.  The slide lock is easier to disengage that the liner lock on the OHT etc, and I've always preferred the blade without a OHO hole as it's more comfortable to hold when using the saw.  Big difference you'll notice though is the cap lifter/flat driver, on your old OHT it's big, beefy and locking, on the Rucksack it's pretty much the same as on a 91mm SAK.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

za Offline meanx

Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:55:14 PM
I was just fondling a Rucksack just a few weeks ago and I rather liked it.  The slide lock is easier to disengage that the liner lock on the OHT etc, and I've always preferred the blade without a OHO hole as it's more comfortable to hold when using the saw.  Big difference you'll notice though is the cap lifter/flat driver, on your old OHT it's big, beefy and locking, on the Rucksack it's pretty much the same as on a 91mm SAK.

+1 also prefer the slide lock to the liner lock
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

us Offline Donald

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 12:02:33 AM
The Rucksack was the supplemental or pocketknife chosen by the late Ron Hood for its maximum utility in a reasonable size package. He uses it extensively in the video where he makes a fire bow set. In other words, there may be other choices, but the Rucksack certainly is a good one. The website is www.survival.com .

I tend to like the slide lock but have gotten used to the liner lock carrying my SG OH PE Trekker. The beefy cap-lifter/screwdriver and that it also locks is nice. The blade shape and convenience of the slide lock on the Rucksack is better. I do not know much about the respective strengths. The StayGlow One Hand Plain Edge Trekker though was a limited run by SwissBianco so are not generally available. IIRC the Forrester is the liner lock version of the Rucksack. It has the plain edge blade and the beefy screwdriver  IIRC it also comes in a one hand version but you then get the serrated blade, as far as I know.

Some go one layer up from the Rucksack and get the Outrider which adds scissors and a #1 straight out Phillips driver. Sort of like a 111mm Huntsman but no small blade. Some like the retired Atlas, e.g. if fishing, which has pliers but that is a thicker layer than scissors. If you have long fingers the Hercules is the thickest I would go. It has both the scissors and pliers and a #2 straight out Phillips driver. The Work Champ adds a file, but is just too thick for me. I have "large" hands but only regular length fingers so it feels to cumbersome or clumsy to use much as a knife. 

The Hunter is a fine knife and I like the combination tool, but after some thought and use, decided I like the more robust cap lifter/screwdriver and can opener/screwdriver for more functionality as on the Rucksack. Enjoy your Rucksack!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%