Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Flik

J-sews · 20 · 5497

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Gerber Flik
on: December 16, 2007, 07:33:28 PM
Seems like the new Flik is taking a long time to reach dealers. A few websites I checked show January 2008 delivery dates. (This after being announced last February at the Shot Show) Oh well, pretty much the same schedule as Leatherman's Skeletool and SOG's PowerAssist, right?

Anyhoo, the Flik looks to be a downsized Freehand, complete with outside-opening blades. Wish they could give the screwdrivers a bit more reach. I do like the looks of that aggressive wood saw though.   

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber Flik
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 07:54:47 PM
I, for one, am waiting with baited breath for the black oxide Flik.

It's going to be very interesting to see it side-by-side with the Freehand and compare the pros/cons or see if they made any little changes to the design to make it work in a smaller package. I do like how Gerber does their house woodsaws, slightly thicker than most other but more aggressive. The one on the Diesel is wonderful.

Hopefully it'll be as cheap on eBay as the Freehand was.  :multi:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 07:58:20 PM
Now there is a gerber, I can get really excited about :)

Hopefully it won't suffer to many delays :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 10:30:32 PM
Now that we have a dedicated Gerber advertiser I think we'll be seeing more Gerber reviews, and hopefully we'll have a fairly early look at the Flik when it comes out.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 10:32:01 PM
Here's hoping :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 10:35:04 PM
It does look like an interesting tool, quite like to get my hands on one at some stage.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 10:48:38 PM
.......I do like the looks of that aggressive wood saw though.   

...plus it has a Wharnecliffe blade  8)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 02:43:04 AM
 I'm kind of taken with the scissors;they look more robust than past Gerber offerings.
I

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 03:41:51 AM
I'm looking forward to the Flik.. Looks very interesting!
B

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 03:45:22 AM
I have to admit, that looks like a neat tool. Might be time to get a gerber... :)

Any idea on expected street price?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 08:13:43 AM
I had forgotten all about the Flik. It does look interesting thought. The Freehand looks way to big and bulky for my tastes. Maybe the Flik will be more for me.

I do HATE the skinny phillips driver on the new Gerbers though.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:16:02 AM by prime77 »
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 01:17:59 AM

I do HATE the skinny phillips driver on the new Gerbers though.

There wasn't anything wrong with the old square Gerber phillips driver. It was actually quite good. Wonder why they chose to replace it with the flat one? ???

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 06:05:23 AM
Thinner tools= more tools.

Some people confuse quality and quantity.
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 01:02:16 PM
It's more likely that if the tool is half as thick then it only costs half as much for raw materials.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 01:37:43 PM
I like it, I may have to give it a try, like the F-22 of MTs ;)

* F-22_Raptor sm.jpg (Filesize: 24.27 KB)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:45:01 PM by WhichDawg »

Offline damota

Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 05:24:29 PM
It's more likely that if the tool is half as thick then it only costs half as much for raw materials.

Def

Thats about right, half as thick, half the cost, 1/3rd more tools (9 compaired to 6). Quality of drivers a bit iffy but as they cost very little and are the usual set I just changed them to the nine bits I mostly use from a decent brand. The adapter is IMO far better, with the ability to get more leverage from using a spanner at the base. Personally I love the new bit set especially when it has the new pouch that comes with it that has a lower pocket than the original that came with the US made chrome adapter. I stuff one of those small ratchet drivers down the side of it and have never been let down yet.
As to the Flik I hope they have found a way to hold the head in the storage position because the head on my Freehand slides out under its own weight as you put it in the pouch for instance.
A gripe I have with all the tool companies is why is it so essential to have a bottle and can opener on what are supposed to be tools. Let them have picnic sets for those that need them, I do not and would rather have something more useful.

Dave

us Offline carl

Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 08:40:05 PM
I totally agree about the near-useless picnic tools.  However, when you look at how those can/bottle openers are incorporated into a tool, usually in conjunction with a screwdriver,  its usually not taking up space that could be used for something else.  If it were, I'm like you, those can/bottle openers would be a very low priority.

Offline damota

Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 02:08:54 PM
I totally agree about the near-useless picnic tools.  However, when you look at how those can/bottle openers are incorporated into a tool, usually in conjunction with a screwdriver,  its usually not taking up space that could be used for something else.  If it were, I'm like you, those can/bottle openers would be a very low priority.

Would a set of different size wire stripper apertures as on a single blade of the LM Squirt E4 instead of a tin opener be good and as they could be placed on both sides so you could get a few gauge sizes on even a small tool and you could still use it to couple with the bit adapter and have a screw driver shaped end. A decent grade wire with a wedge ground on the working end and a loop to go round the axle to form a simple brad to start screw holes is another gadget that would fit in place of either of those 2 items. the locking mech. might be difficult but could either be added by brazing or ground out of the wire if the wire diameter was large enough, the brad could be also used as a flat screw driver. I know I could find them of more use than the abundance of bottle and can openers.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 02:16:07 PM by damota »

us Offline carl

Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 07:12:06 PM
As you mentioned, there are other things that can be devised to take the place of bottle openers (I rarely drink out of those type of bottles any more - its very 60s) and also the useless can opener (if i had a can, it could easily be opened with one of the other tools no doubt).  Hopefully in the future we'll see more useful tools and less fluff.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 12:35:06 AM
Side note on this tool. How do you sharpen th reverse serrations?

just hone it on the opposite side?
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44