Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New One Piece Tool

us Offline RoBoT-TooL

New One Piece Tool
on: February 02, 2012, 10:16:04 PM
There is a new one piece tool called The RoBoT TooL by RoBoT-Metalworks. It is rare among its own kind because it opens both cans as well as bottles with the same jaw; there's a safety feature on the opener tip. Please click on the globe button on the far left or do your own search with both the tool and company names. Thanks, The RoBoT       

Modified by Mr. Whippy to remove link.   
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:37:01 AM by RoBoT-TooL »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: New One Piece Tool
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:33:35 PM
Hi RoBot-Tool,

Welcome to MTO!  We have some rules about advertising and posting links.  This is for very practical reasons.  Feel free to introduce yourself and discuss your tool with pictures.  However, you will likely have a better reception if you contact the site owner (Grant Lamontagne) and introduce yourself.

I'm a big one piece tool fan and would like to hear about what you've made.   :)

au Offline mudtoy

• nothing is impossible when you work for the circus
New One Piece Tool
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:49:57 PM
This is a one piece tool called The RoBoT TooL. The designer found a P-38 can opener in a garage sale box of green soldiers in the 1970s, and has been gadget crazy ever since. It is rare among its own kind because it opens both cans as well as bottles with the same jaw; there's a safety feature on the opener tip.       

Modified by Mr. Whippy to remove link.

I too am interested please post some pics

---
I am here:

us Offline RoBoT-TooL

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:16:01 PM
The photo with the wood background is the current model of the RoBoT TooL's edition of one-hundred and has horizontal surface grinder lines. The black background is from a smaller batch that is no longer available and has vertical surface grinder lines.
tumblr_ly6c92wpYz1r3xov3.jpg
* tumblr_ly6c92wpYz1r3xov3.jpg (Filesize: 119.92 KB)
tumblr_lvem8lZro61r3xov3.jpg
* tumblr_lvem8lZro61r3xov3.jpg (Filesize: 110.24 KB)

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:12:59 PM
Interesting design, but doesn't it feel uncomfortable to your thumb while using it on cans/caps?  :think:

us Offline RoBoT-TooL

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 12:04:59 AM
Hi AHB,

The zig-zag tinder scraper on the lower right side of the tool is soft enough to spare your thumb when it's placed there to operate the bottle/can opener feature. I've sold to a lot of folks who aren't tool enthusiasts and they've been okay. Also, my tinder scraper is not ground any thinner than the overall thickness of the tool, unlike the opener tip and drivers. Thanks for the questions, I hope this helps.

-RoBoT-TooL
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:20:32 AM by RoBoT-TooL »

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 12:57:15 AM
Welcome to the forum RoBoT- Tool.

I am glad that you took the time to tell us about your tool This is the premiere multitool information site and we appreciate having all the info about tools from small makers and mainstream manufacturers.
maybe you could tell us what makes your can/bottle opener so special?  We've seen a lot of combo tools in the past and they are usualy better at opening cans and barely functional at opening bottles or vice versa.
$67 seems a bit steep for a tool like this.  Are they hand made or titanium or something that Im missing about the value of the RoBoT- Tool?
If I may, I'd also like to take a moment to point out the Multitool.org Treasury page since you seem pretty intent on promoting yourself here.  I'm sure you wouldn't mind helping out the forum that you are using to promote yourself that others are paying for.
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline RoBoT-TooL

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 05:43:38 PM
Hi Fred,

I am currently operating within the scope of what a Moderator said I should be doing at this point.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 09:02:31 PM
[Moderator]

I believe Fred is pointing out that you're a new member, who has only posted in a thread about a tool that you manufacture.  In fact, I deleted the link you originally posted, because it was in direct conflict with the forum's rules.

Many other small manufacturers buy ads or supply test pieces to the forum, generally after contacting the site owner (link posted above).  The fact is, you should contact Grant about your operations and your plans.  He's reasonable guy and generally is very supportive of small independent manufacturers. 

Although Fred states it outright, other MT.O members will be sensitive to opportunism by manufacturers who post only for free promotion of their products.

:police:  [/moderator]

au Offline peterxyz

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 09:35:51 PM
I second Mr Whippy's comments - plus there's a great set of pictures and tool reviews on the front page - http://www.multitool.org/
reviews, passarounds, prizedraws, etc - all good ways to raise your profile and get valuable feedback for the next batch of your tool.

From the look of it, I'd want someone to be trying it out on oxygen bottles etc - do the screwdrivers get in the way? Do you want a light glove to make applying serious pressure more comfortable? etc

just my 2c

peter xyz

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 09:42:14 PM
I thirded?! Mr Whippy's comments.  There are better ways to introduce yourself than start by trying to sell something.   I think if I was trying to sell a new tool Id probably have a few giveaways to generate buzz and that way you aren't taken peoples money.  If its a good tool it will stat to sell on its own momentum.   

Back to the tool though, just from the pics it looks like it would be uncomfortable to use do to the 'ears' and it's at a higher price point vs comparable tools, so it needs something others don't.  You need an angle to explain to a customer why they want it and not the others you are competing against.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 09:55:29 PM
I fourthed ... quartered ... plus-oned ...

Yeah, what they said

:imws:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline peterxyz

Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:43 PM
... other questions for a write-up
  • materials
  • what the two lugs at the head are for
  • does the hex firt a standard bit?
  • action shots
  • are they tumbled at all (if its gonna ride in my pocket, I like some of those edges softened  :)

I'm a big fan of one-piece tools and have a stack of Atwood and JDR tools, so I'm definitely curious.
We're just talking forum manners here

peter xyz 

us Offline RoBoT-TooL

Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 10:41:37 PM
My apologies. I sent messages to Grant L., once at least a month ago (before joining) and the other day after Mr. Whippy suggested I do so (after joining). Looking at the RoBoT anatomically, the right ear is a single-axis phillips driver, the left ear is a flat-tip driver, the antennas turn the pivot screws on generic folding utility knives (it's a 7/16" spanner), the right eye turns 1/4" hex bits, the mouth turns medical oxygen, the left eye turns acetylene-B tanks. The zig-zags on the right side are held across a branch and grind tinder fibers when scraping up and down the branch length. Both the pry-tip as well as the can/bottle opener retain a 1/64" thickness from the end of the grind to the rear face of the tool so a user won't self-injure, and the opener tip has a safety feature where the point in hidden behind an initial curve (a beer cap comes off in one pry). The laser-cutter burs were tumbled off. The stock is heat-treated 440-C. As for comparable tool prices, I have not seen another tool with nine distinct components for less than mine - please list such items. Box wrenches with various sizes are still one feature. I looked at many other items before pricing mine. Except for the large companies reviewed here, I thought that this would be where folks who made their own tools had discussions.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:11:29 PM by RoBoT-TooL »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 12:34:21 AM
Hi RoBoT-Tool,

My name is Grant Lamontagne, and since I own this forum I assume I'm the Grant L everyone is referring to.  I have never heard of or from you before this thread began.  I don't know how you are contacting me, but my guess is we didn't have much of a conversation.  If you'd like to have one now I can be reached at grant.lamontagne@ns.sympatico.ca or at (902) 233-8888.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline RoBoT-TooL

Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 01:30:05 AM
Hello Mr. Lamontagne,

While I never heard back, I did e-mail you twice from the Multi-TooL.org website. I will contact you privately soon, thank you.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 02:02:23 AM
As for comparable tool prices, I have not seen another tool with nine distinct components for less than mine - please list such items. Box wrenches with various sizes are still one feature. I looked at many other items before pricing mine. Except for the large companies reviewed here, I thought that this would be where folks who made their own tools had discussions.

Well no there isn't another tool with the EXACT 9 features you list, but that's not really the point is it.  I would argue the Piranha could accomplish all those same tasks and more since it has metric and SAE wrenches.  I have one and like it quite a lot and it's half of the price of yours, nicely finished, and has no stabby protrusions. 

http://pockettoolx.com/products/piranha

There are others at this price point as well Im pretty sure.

Take some constructive criticism and refine your offering and approach, and I'm sure can develop your robot's tool :D  The immature side of me has to add, it's peculiar shape, and being called robot tool is pretty funny to me. 

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline RoBoT-TooL

Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 02:08:07 AM
To Syph007,

I'm curious to see one-piece tools that you've made. The folks who now have my device tell me how much they love it.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 02:09:38 AM
To Syph007,

I'm curious to see one-piece tools that you've made. The folks who now have my device tell me how much they love it.

If you want to compare modding and tool building resumes I bet I have you beat.

us Offline RoBoT-TooL

Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 02:12:59 AM
To Syph007

Why is it so important for you and your buddies to shame me? Even to the point of telling me that my product looks silly to you. This is all typical jr.-high bullying behavior, and I'm neither impressed nor scared.

Syph007, please post your website so I can see your work.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:15:40 AM by RoBoT-TooL »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 02:20:55 AM
I'm going to jump in here again.

MT.O is a group of extremely savvy tool users.  Many have modified existing commercial products and have come up with significantly better products.  Leatherman has even copied a product or three.  Members here tend to be very honest with opinions about tools and we've had a very good track record of working with small manufacturers.

Comments are made regarding tool features and aren't generally intended as personal attacks.

With that said, I'll offer my opinion.  The highly artistic Atwood tools are the only steel tools I know of that come in at that price point.  I use Atwoods and will say they are highly functional.  I share others opinions regarding this RoBoT-TooL.  The "saw tooth" pattern would be uncomfortable without a glove.  Flipping it around, I could imagine the "ears" jamming into my hand if I were opening a can.

I have made critical reviews of Atwood tools as well.  Particularly the Chigger, which doesn't open bottles very well and is too short to pry anything.  It isn't an attack on Peter, just a tool.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 02:21:30 AM
Perhaps we should all just take a moment to to calm down.  I'm going to lock this thread and we can continue the discussion when we have some things sorted out.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%