Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave+ or Signal?

00 Offline WutTheDickens

• New User
Wave+ or Signal?
on: October 23, 2018, 07:49:18 PM
I'm looking to get a Leatherman for my boyfriend and I'm stuck between the Signal and the Wave+, though I'm open to other options. I'm mainly buying it for camping at campgrounds and festivals--so not exactly wilderness survival situations. He would also use it at work (as a bartender) for everyday tasks like breaking down boxes and the like.

Pros for the Signal:
  • The carabiner: This might seem cosmetic or silly, but it's actually a big sell for me. He is always clipping things to his belt loops and would probably love that it's built-in. There's also a pocket clip, making the Signal seem more convenient to carry around.
  • Hammer and awl: Not a make-or-break feature, but I could see these coming in handy for camping.
  • Ferro rod: Wouldn't be used very often, but he would probably think it was a fun bonus once in a while.

Pros for the Wave+:
  • Scissors: This is the main feature that attracts me to the Wave. I have a feeling this would get more use than the Signal's extra features.
  • Dependable: The Wave is the most popular Leatherman model, so I feel a little more confident about its general quality, whether that's justified or not.

Concerns:
  • I'm a little worried about the removable pieces falling out of the Signal. He won't really need the survival opitons, so it could be unnecessary hassle.
  • The Wave+ doesn't have a pocket clip. I can buy one separately, but the online reviews suggest that it doesn't fit the Wave as well as other models. Thoughts? This could be a deal breaker for me.
  • I like the black finish on the Wave+, but again reviews say it's oily and scratches easily. Does anyone have experience with that?

I've also considered the Charge+ because I think a cutting hook would be really useful for opening packaging at work. On the other hand, I don't like the look of the plastic handle on the website, and I'm not sure if the price jump is justified.

Please let me know what you think from your experience! I've never owned a multitool so any feedback is appreciated.

URLs for specs:
Signal: https://www.leatherman.com/black-silver-signal-568.html
Wave+: https://www.leatherman.com/wave-10.html
Charge+: https://www.leatherman.com/charge-552.html

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Wave+ or Signal?
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 08:23:18 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.   :cheers:

Of your choices I would recommend either the Wave or the Charge+. The BO coating is pretty durable, it can scratch but only adds character to the tool with use. The BO is only messy when new but once you clean off the excess coating it i'ts fine. The Charge would also be a great choice. There are no plastic parts on it the handles are Aluminium. Only you can decide if it's worth the extra cost. The pocket clips work just fine on both models.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 08:37:07 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.   :cheers:

Of your choices I would recommend either the Wave or the Charge+. The BO coating is pretty durable, it can scratch but only adds character to the tool with use. The BO is only messy when new but once you clean off the excess coating it i'ts fine. The Charge would also be a great choice. There are no plastic parts on it the handles are Aluminium. Only you can decide if it's worth the extra cost. The pocket clips work just fine on both models.

+1

Welcome to MTO  :salute:.

I would like to add that none of the removable pieces on either one of my two Signals has ever fell out, but I can only speak from my own personal experience. With that being said, I would also go for the Wave+ or the Charge+.

Greetings from Belgium  :salute:.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 08:43:01 PM
Welcome!

Firstly, what a neat and organized post. :dd:

The serrated blade on the SurgeWave would be great for breaking down boxes.
If you weren't wanting it to be carried on a clip I would suggest the Surge (it can take the removable pocket clip but it's bigger and heavier) which has really good scissors.

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 08:48:11 PM
I would recommend Wingman, its light, durable, has dedicated box openen, scissors, spring assisted pliers, phillips and flathead, half serrated blade, It has pocket clip. Blade and scissor are accesed outside. My friend works at bar and he just loves Wingman and it pretty good when doing light camping.
Heres pic of my wifes wingman

https://www.leatherman.com/wingman-11.html

Only Tools Matters

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 11:54:47 PM
Welcome to the boards WTD.

I would 100 percent go with the Signal over the others.
It is lighter, thinner and pockets better.
Pliers are comfortable as all heck, the carabiner is an excellent bottle opener.

If scissors are important (like they are for me) then pair it with a Victorinox.
SwissCard Nailcare (wallet)
Rambler (keyring)
Compact or Pioneer X (pocket)

If he is cutting boxes at work, get him a utility knife, I'm currently using and liking a Tajima DC500.

Also the Signal comes in some cool colour combos: topo green from Rei, coyote from Cabelas, black from LM...

Hope that helps.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 12:18:14 AM
Hi and welcome to  :MTO: :cheers:

I would go for the Wave+
and the pocket clip fits really well without problems  :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 12:34:49 AM
Here https://www.leatherman.com/charge-al-prep-kit-518.html
Best bang for your bucks. I don't think you need the replaceable wire cutter. This Charge is basically a Wave with Aluminum scales and a better steel blade. You also get extra bits, and a head lamp. I also think it comes with a removable pocket clip.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 12:36:14 AM by chrono »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 01:17:10 AM
+1 on what Chrono mentioned.

It does come with the clip. It is a LOT of kit for the money. The headlamp is pretty good too. I had assumed the headlamp was gimmicky and whatnot, but the RC Charge prep kit is some serious bang-for-the-buck. The ONLY issue I had with mine was it came with an insy-winsy little paint chip on the handle edge, which makes me think it could chip and scratch more easily than BO or other coatings. But, if you're going to EDC it, and cosmetics take a back seat, then you can't go wrong. You could always wire-wheel the paint off the scales and go with a raw-aluminum look. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 02:11:30 AM
It is a tuff choice. All of the above are great choices  :tu:
You will not go wrong with any of them. Good luck in your decision making.

Rebar

00 Offline WutTheDickens

• New User
Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 06:26:54 AM
This is extremely helpful and has given me a lot to think about! Thanks for answering all my questions so quickly.

I've pretty much ruled out the Charge+ since I don't need to worry about the clip on the Wave. They're so similar and the cutting hook isn't worth the price increase.

I'm really interested in the Charge AL Prep Kit, but I'm not sure my boyfriend would like the red (although I do). I'll have to think of a subtle way to get his opinion without giving away the surprise. Does anyone have a picture of one opened up with the tools out? I don't think the headlamp is gimmicky at all; we use them constantly while camping, so having a nice brand would be a real bonus.

What is the benefit of using the package opener on the Wingman instead of a regular knife? Is it to save wear and tear on your blades? The bartender seal of approval is noted!  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 06:37:21 AM
Wave, Wave +, Charge, Charge + are all great choices.  With the Charge series you get a premium knife steel on the main blade only.  I quite like it tho the blade steel on the Wave is pretty great.   

Scissors.  If these are deal breakers then you've got to go with a MT that has them.  Wave/Charge

Carry Options.  Wave/Charge does have a pocket clip.  Mine works fine on my tools.  There is also a "hidden" lanyard loop which for some is a great way to carry their tool.  Attach a lanyard to carabiner then to tool.  Theres always sheath carry.

Wide compliment of tools.  The one hand opening of 4 tools is pretty great for many.  The interior tools are pretty great too.

Since camping involves a variety of equipment for many the options the Wave/Charge series has is a huge plus.  The limited tools on the Signal for me in a festival setting would have me grabbing my Wave/Charge. 

If weight is an issue then there are some other options.  The Wave and Signal to me are close enough weight wise.  Skeletool comes to mind at 5oz if weight might be an issue.       

The black Wave is really sweet.  Initially it can be messy but with a good wipe and use its no longer an issue.  I agree the scratches and scrapes only add to the tools character and story. 

Now.  That all being said. 

The Signal is a super neat tool.  I feel theres enough tool that it makes sense in the city and camping.  The detachable parts are fun but more novelty.  The hammer is really cool.  A rock would be better to pound tent stakes in but being able to do it with your MT is awesome. 

A no nonsense tool would be the Skeletool.  Pliers, blade, bit driver, carabiner.  I love mine.  Camping tool? I'd take my Wave or Signal. 

If scissors are the deal breaker for the Signal might I suggest a keychain sized tool?  Micra is one of the more popular tools.  It also has a nice array of tools.  I actually think the Style CS would be super cool to pair with the Signal.  It looks like a mini Skeletool.  He can attach it to his keys.

Now all that said if any thing made sense.  I'd go with the Wave/Charge.  Theres a lot of tool there. 

As far as the color of the Red Charge, it really nice.  I got to hold one for a brief moment and it was lovely.  Not sure how well it will hold up but again the scrapes and scratches are part of a tools story.  Easier to find if or when its dropped.  The head lamp seemed nice enough.  A head lamp at camp is much nicer than a hand held flashlight. 

Esse Quam Videri

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 04:37:30 PM
Using Wingmans packet opener is somehow easier than blade, it doesnt go easily so deep as regular blade. Its also ergonomic choise if opening many boxes. If theres no need for full size file or saw then i recommend Wingman.
Wingman is good choice and cheaper compared to Wave, Charge and Signal.

But after all you cant go wrong choosing Wave, Charge or Signal

Only Tools Matters

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 07:55:47 PM
I had a Wingman once, I did not like it. The steel was pretty soft, the combo blade was not very useful. I had a feeling it was more readily rust as well. Well, I should say I like it snappiness, but once you handle a Wave, the Wingman feels inferior. For serious gift giving, I'd recommend at least a Wave.  With the addition of the bit kits, you have an tool box of drivers, and they are replaceable. For breaking down boxes, any tool with an edge can do, so you may consider not to fixate on that feature. A Wave is a lot more useful in daily activities, beyond camping and bar works.  :tu:

I'm really interested in the Charge AL Prep Kit, but I'm not sure my boyfriend would like the red (although I do). I'll have to think of a subtle way to get his opinion without giving away the surprise. Does anyone have a picture of one opened up with the tools out?

This red Charge has the same tool loadouts as any Wave, except for the main blade being better 154CM steel. I do not think any retailer selling this version, except the Leatherman website.  :think: In fact, I had expected it to be discontinued by now. Its price is actually discounted.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:06:15 PM by chrono »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 09:11:57 PM
The Wave is a good all-rounder, and the Signal is a little more polarising (some love it, some hate it) so for a surprise gift, I'd go with the Wave. While the Charges give different steel options for the knife blades, I don't think most users would substantially benefit from that, and the added scales make the handling a little more cumbersome in my opinion. I sold my Charge, and kept my Wave.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 02:30:15 AM
Wave + offers a bit more in that it is more all around. The Signal is a bit more specialized. So maybe indirectly ask him for more usage details. That’s my humble opinion.

Just a thought. The Rebar has a few disadvantages but is very pocketable and heavy duty for its size. Works well for me when I go hiking. The lack of outside opening blade may not bother him if he already carries a pocket knife.

The red Charge AL finish does scratch off easily but is a fine tool and really wonderful value. Just know that the pliers do not come with replaceable cutters like the Rebar or Wave plus. But really that feature is more for folks who use the wire cutters more often.

Offline munkeymike

Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 11:24:46 PM
There are obvious differences but having recently owned both, here are some inside secrets.

The Signal's pocket clip is in a much better position. It allowed me to pull the knife out of my pocket and open the knife in one quick action. With the Wave I always feel like I have to fumble around a bit. This is probably because the pocket clip is an afterthought, not designed into the multitool.

The Signal's bottle opener is much easier to use. I've struggled with the Wave's bottle/can opener to get it to catch the bottom lip of a cap and have also punctured right through a cap before. Plus, the Signal's bottle opener is right on the outside so you don't have to open the tool.

The Wave's bit driver is better because it allows you to fold the tool closed. This gives you a much better grip.

Other than that, look at the tools in each. Every person holds a different value for each tool. Both are great and actually quite similar.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:26:12 PM by munkeymike »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD