Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a laptop

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Looking for a laptop
Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 02:28:25 PM
That's true.  They only offer XP on the "Small and medium business" laptops.  That includes the Vostro, Latititude and "Dell precision"

I'm surprised you haven't received it yet.  When I've ordered Dells before, they arrived in 3-4 days on my doorstep.
- Terry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 02:35:38 PM
I ordered from a dealer in CT and it just arrived there yesterday.  When I ordered it one Canadian dollar equaled about a buck ten US so I got to save some money there, plus the dealer managed to get me all the upgrades I wanted for basically no extra cost.  I "built" the same machine through the Dell website and it cost just over $800 but I managed to get it for $550 shipped.

I had been looking at the Inspirons before I found this one (never looked in the small business section before) and the same thing would have cost a fortune but been in a prettier case if I'd gotten the Inspiron instead.  And, I would have been stuck with Vista.

One other benefit to the Vostro is that I noticed in many reviews that folks have said it doesn't include all that bundled "bonus" crap that I'd just have to remove, so that's great too.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 03:30:50 PM
Sounds like you did the right thing.  That is, if you can get the dealer to get off his a$$ to build and ship it to you.

I like a plain case--it doesn't draw so much attention.  My Dell Inspiron is completely basic black, with just the silver Dell logo on the cover.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 04:08:06 PM
It's built and shipped as of last night.  It was sent Express, so I may have it by Groundhog Day....

I don't care what it looks like- just like paint on a car.  I always said "Color don't make it go faster" and I imagine that applies to computers as well!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: December 11, 2007, 04:59:32 PM
ok, i contained myself enought  time, windows vista stinks! really bad, here a comparision video on cool 3d desktop effect that you'll never use anyway but are cool to have at hand

yeah Def! install linux on that notebook!

Esteban

Ok amigo, you got me- I am running Linux on this machine and I feel stupider than ever!  You happy now? :P

Def

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #35 on: December 13, 2007, 06:34:54 AM
yeah! i am happy

feels little akward at the begining but with time you'll get used to have a machine that actually works and doesn't hangs up every 5 minutes or so

Esteban

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD