Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Has anyone broken a SAK while using the large screwdriver?

nl Offline SteelWing

Yesterday, I used the large screwdriver of my Victorinox Climber to turn a slightly rusted screw. While gripping the handle, I could not make the screw move at all. On the contrary, it felt like the handle itself was starting to twist unusually much. This made me worry about breaking the SAK if I continued turning. Eventually, I did manage to exert enough force by gripping the base of the screwdriver/bottle opener, though this was quite painful for my hand.

So I was wondering if anybody permanently damaged their SAK by twisting too far when using the screwdriver(s). Are cellidor models dependable as screwdrivers?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Re: Has anyone broken a SAK while using the large screwdriver?
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:48:30 PM
[heresy]
No multitool can replace a truly dedicated tool. Doesn't matter if we are talking a SAK, a plier's based MT, or even an interchangeable bit screwdriver- they are examples of what is possible, not what is optimal. This kind of thing is where you get a real screwdriver if you've got the option, and maybe some penetrating oil.
[/heresy]
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:59:17 PM
agreed.

I've done nearly the same thing with my climber trying to tighten a screw on my bike, and felt the torsion in the liners. We have to know our MT's limits. A slightly larger SAK would obviously be a bit stronger, but the same principle holds. I like the old soldier's large screwdriver, especially the unpolished ones, stronger still would be the liner locking 111mm screwdrivers.

us Offline Donald

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:37:22 PM
I stopped when it felt like too much and went and got a big screwdriver. (Philips screw on an outside gate latch striker plate.

After a couple of strong recommendations I picked up a can of PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst. I used it the other night to finally loosen the vent fins on my Weber kettle. (I wish they would make them stronger and more rust resistant..perhaps stainless.)

I had seen it in a local hardware store when traveling. Here I tried Home Depot and finally found it located with the power tools on an end-cap...for anyone else who might decide to look for it. So far so good!

england Offline macabee

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 05:02:06 PM
Haven't broken a screwdriver blade...yet. But I did manage to snap of the tip of an old LM PSTII pliers, whilst to their credit LM did replace them,I went on to by the Swisstool and never looked back.

Cheers
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 06:44:12 PM
Just been thinking its a long time since I twisted a combo tool.  Used to do it regular and have to flatten them out again.

Either I'm getting more sensible in my old age or weaker :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 06:51:53 PM
In an experiment I did a couple years ago, the large driver will take a LOT of torque before bad things happen.  In the test setting, the blade broke before the brass pin/liner failed.

Here's the link to that test:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,22565.msg417176.html#msg417176

Offline tomcrx

Has anyone broken a SAK while using the large screwdriver?
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 06:58:59 PM
Did you gave the knife in a vise? I ask because that would keep the liners a spring from separating. In real use they may fail before the bit shears

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 07:07:32 PM
Did you gave the knife in a vise? I ask because that would keep the liners a spring from separating. In real use they may fail before the bit shears
It's in a vise, but clamped distal to the middle pins (ie the middle pins would have to fail before the vise's clamping would have a significant effect

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 10:39:16 PM
I broke the bottle opener part on a Wenger Commander a long time ago while using it as a wrench to turn a small nut. Used it as a wrench many times before. That time the screw was to tight. :(   I haven't used the bottle opener as a wrench since.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%