Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

first workchamp impressions

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
first workchamp impressions
on: September 16, 2011, 05:53:21 AM
Got home from work and found my new Workchamp waiting for me! I don't have the lighting to do any pics tonight, but I will give some first impressions:

1) Perfection. Every multi I've Ever owned I could find some minor fault with, including my previous Vic's (though those were REALLY minor), not this thing. It's flawless. Once again, I just can't understand how Vic maintains the level of QC they do considering the volume of tools they pump out on a daily basis. It's astounding.

2)The scales. I still don't like the nylon scales (or the traditional red for that matter) but here they work decently well. These don't have quite so bad a hollow feeling to them compared to my Sentinel, I attribute that to the fact there's no exposed open area of scale behind the liner lock like the Sentinel, and they are held down to the liner a lot tighter.

3)Size/weight. It's perfectly fine. Sure it's bulky but nowhere near as bad as you would expect, and certainly not as bad as some people have made it out to be though the web. It's narrower than my Swisschamp I normally EDC, and no longer than a standard folder. It's a bit bulky overall if you have smaller pockets, but I don't think it's too bad. as far as handling it goes, I think it's very comfortable and usable, I actually find it a lot less awkward than the 91mm SAKs.

4)Slide lock. I like it. In typical Vic style, the inherent left-handedness of it takes some getting used to, but it's easy to operate and locks up extremely well. I love the way the blade snaps into place with more authority than much more expensive knives that I've owned in the past.

Overall I love the thing so far. I'll play with it more tomorrow and get some pics, but my first impressions are overwhelmingly positive. after I've had a chance to use it for a few days I'll do a full review since i can't really find any reviews of it online anywhere. Time somebody did something about that.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Re: first workchamp impressions
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 07:43:26 AM
Congrats :tu:

The Workchamp never really crossed my radar for no real reason other than Vic makes so many smurfin' different models. But after checking it out on SakWiki I'm pretty impressed :drool: Can't wait to see some more pics. Are the pliers on the 111mm the same as on the 91mm?

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 08:07:29 AM
Yep, same pliers. At first you would think they would have made them larger, but instead they brilliantly used the extra space to fit the Phillips under it on the same layer. The setup works really well and is a wonderfully efficient use of space. I do wish Vic could come up with some better pliers though. They work well for what they are, but yu can only do so much.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 08:11:31 AM
very glad to hear you're happy with it mate.  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 09:21:42 AM
I've looked at the larger Vic and Wenger offerings many times, but cant help thinking that something that big really should have full sized pliers on them (in fact the only one I own is a Swissgrip which is phenomenal). I love the big SAK saws though, and the look of those inline Phillips

I look forward to seeing your full review on this mate  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

de Offline Jmora

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 09:28:55 AM
A review of it would be seriously needed, I couldn't find anything on it when I bought mine, except amazon reviews. I had to sell it not long after to free up cash.

One thing I noticed about mine, that I've never found on any other SAK, was that the tools make a slight 'ting' sound when they are snapped open. I always found that cool.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 03:09:58 PM
Yeah the spring tension makes for a serious snap. I love that. I sorta agree about the pliers, seems like it "should" have real pliers, but then if you look at the compromise Wenger has to take in terms of tool load out to make that happen without it being wider than your hand, it bothers me a lot less lol. After getting some time and use in I'll throw together a review with plenty of pics and comparisons.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 05:42:14 AM
Thanks for the info... I've been jonesing for a WorkChamp for a while now.  I've been EDC'ing my regular Swiss Champ in a pouch on the strap of my cycling bag for a good five years now, even though I don't use many of the tools in it.  The reason?  I bike a lot and where I live we have these pernicious little thorns that are really freakin' tough... I mean, they'll go through the kevlar layer in a puncture proof tire if you don't get them out soon enough.  So the pliers in my Champ are the only things that will get them out.  Tweezers are completely ineffective on them, and the pliers on even something as small as a PS4 are still too big to dig them out of a tire tread.  The pliers on the Champ are perfect for them.  My wife and I also do a lot of camping with our kids, and the Work Champ looks like it would be the perfect SAK for camping...
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 04:06:38 PM
Ive been able to use it a fair amount, though not too heavily. Ive gotten a pretty good feel for the tool now. Im planning on getting qa full review up either today or tomorrow depending on how busy I get. Its basically written in my head already, I just need to spend the time getting all the pics taken.

P.S,. those must be awesome thorns, I have a set of kevlar Michellen Wildgrippers on my old Gary Fisher, and nothing ever got through 'em.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 12:02:45 AM
Well, I just finished writing my fairly lengthy and detailed review of the Workchamp. I just gotta start taking a whole lotta of pics and edit it all together.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 12:32:52 AM
I've been tempted a couple times to get a workchamp but I felt the width would be too much.  I also no longer like the nylon scales and I find the length of the larger SAKs too big for pocket carry.
SAW

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 12:45:56 AM
I do touch on all those points in the review, except the pocket thing, which I forgot about. I'll have to add that in now lol.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 02:51:09 AM

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 07:28:59 AM
Ive been able to use it a fair amount, though not too heavily. Ive gotten a pretty good feel for the tool now. Im planning on getting qa full review up either today or tomorrow depending on how busy I get. Its basically written in my head already, I just need to spend the time getting all the pics taken.

P.S,. those must be awesome thorns, I have a set of kevlar Michellen Wildgrippers on my old Gary Fisher, and nothing ever got through 'em.

I'm off to check out your review... really looking forward to it... :)

As for those thorns, they're truly nasty little buggers... they're all over the place here in California...  They're like little caltrops... like a 3 sided pyramid with one point always sticking more or less straight up.  I've never seen anything else like them anywhere...  They grow on these creeping weeds that spread out horizontally over the ground in all directions, I've learned to spot them now, but I've spent many a ride digging them out of my treads.  Even round-up has a hard time killing them.  Last summer one cropped up out on the side of the sidewalk in front of our house... I chopped it back, but the kids kept inadvertently tracking them in and all of us ended up stepping on them.  It took two weeks and about half a dozen thorough dousings of Round-up to finally kill the dang thing. 

I used to ride on Continental Top Touring 2000's before they were discontinued.  My current favorite tire is now the Continental Contact and its variations.  I run a 700x32 regular Contact on my front wheel, and a 700x37 Top Contact on my rear wheel.  The Top is better at keeping them out because it has a thicker tread, so I don't worry about it too much anymore, but the regular will still get a slow leak if I don't get the thorn out soon after the tire picks one up.

If it wasn't for the existence of poison oak, and poison ivy, I'd say these things are the best case for proof on earth that there is a devil!!!

Okay, no more OT rants for me.  Sorry. :D
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 07:02:53 AM
I have been looking at the workchamp for a long time, always defaulting to the answer of "it must be SOO bulky".  I am off to read your reviewm thanks for posting it!

I am currently EDCing a sapphire Swisschamp that was a gift from a dear friend(good ole' sawman!) so a larger SAK doesn't bother me.  I carry a LM with it anyway.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 12:27:26 PM
You know, the Workchamp XL is the size and heft of your typical Pliers based MT. shrugs.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 11:16:56 PM
Yeah, but has a bunch of useless (for most people most of the time) tools. I dont often need a horseshoe scraper or marlin spike lol.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 01:13:56 AM
What I meant is that people tend to make a lot of fuss over how large it is, when in fact, it is about the same size as a pliers based MT.

People and perceptions is all.

Now, as for your point, it only takes once and you will regret not having them. :pok: :pok: :D  :ahhh  :D

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 02:31:24 AM
I think that's the whole point though: It IS as big as a pliers based multi, but has dinky little pliers. I for one don't mind that, but a lot of people do.

The day I suddenly find myself needing a marlin spike 15 years from now, I'm gonna think back to this post and silently curse you ;P

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 02:39:51 AM
 :rofl:

Sorry.  :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 04:04:36 AM
I'm kinda with froggy here.  I love SAK's and all, but if I am going to lug one tool around that is that size, it will be a plier-based tool.  I just need pliers all the time. 

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 04:30:19 PM
I actually DONT need full size pliers, I stopped carrying pliers based multis a long time ago. The workchamp is perfect for my uses. Im just saying that I can fully understand why its too big for some people given they could have full size pliers with the same bulk/weight.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 06:51:43 PM
That's good.  Why did you stop carrying a pliers based tool? 

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 03:42:37 PM
In my current, and previous job, I just never had any use for full sized pliers, and especially in this job (I do computer repair) the small pliers are actually a lot better for my uses than full size. That coupled with the versatility of the Swisschamp made it perfect for me. The shear number of tools in an easier to pocket package killed my desire for a pliers based multi. The main reason Im willing to go back to a larger tool now is the drivers. The Workchamp's drivers are a Godsend in a computer case, coupled with the awesome blade. In daily use the Workchamp's tool loadout (good drivers, great blade, good scissors, precise easy to manouver pliers) get used far more, and more effectively than the loadouts in most any pliers multi. Should I find myself needing real pliers, my Powerlock usually isnt too far away in my bag (crappy "multi" IMO, but one HELL of an awesome set of folding pliers)

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 03:51:50 PM
I have been working without a Pliers based Multi Tool myself as of late. So far so good. My solution was to keep a pair of pliers handy in my Jack Bag or just stuffed in my back pocket.
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 01:43:27 AM
As of right now I simply cannot go without pliers, but I may try it a few times to see how it goes.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 05:18:33 AM
There was a time when I couldnt either, I honestly needed them. It took me a long time afterward to convince myself I didnt still need them. Now they feel like a waste of space most of the time, but it depends on what Im expecting to be doing that day. 99% of the time I have no need for them, but like I said, I tend to keep my Powerlock relatively handy for that last 1%, just not in my pocket.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 08:09:30 PM
When I returned to work last year (in hotel maintenance) I returned to carrying a pliers based MT after a few years of just carrying a SAK, never needed pliers while not working.  Now I'm so used to carrying pliers again I find myself 'needing' too, even when not at work. :think:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 10:16:58 PM
When I returned to work last year (in hotel maintenance) I returned to carrying a pliers based MT after a few years of just carrying a SAK, never needed pliers while not working.  Now I'm so used to carrying pliers again I find myself 'needing' too, even when not at work. :think:

I managed without for YEARS. A humble pocket knife was just fine. Since getting more into SAKs and multitools though, I've become that accustomed to dealing with whatever turns up because of the options I've got on me at the time, that I now feel quite naked without pliers, scissors, knife, drivers, mini drivers, tweezers, torch, awl, and so on ...

I was unprepared for a long time. I don't want to go back

:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 01:55:07 AM

I used to work in Hotel Maintenance.  Best job I've ever had hands down.  I miss it pretty bad. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%