Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scissors

Benner · 12 · 2281

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Scissors
on: December 24, 2007, 05:46:48 PM
Now don't send me any hate mail or beat me if you see me walking down the street, but I have a little moan about a Victorinox product. :-\

Now I LOVE Victorinox items, their build quality is simply amazing and to be honest the reason that I haven't bought a Swisstool yet is because I know it's the Daddy of them all and I know none of my other tools would compare to it.  But, I had always planned on getting the swisstool X and now I have concerns.

I have spent the day as most of us probably have, wrapping presents and writing cards.  As I am a bit fussy in my wrapping, I like to make sure everything looks nice and neat so I have been using my Swisschamp quite a lot to cut the paper and to be honest, the scissors were really disappointing.  They continually became loose and after just a few cuts, became so loose that they simply folded the paper over and didn't cut it at all.  I had to keep using the small flathead held in the corkscrew to tighten it up which I know only takes a few seconds but it was really annoying and made the job just that little bit longer.  In the end, I resorted to my Wave which got the job done quickly.

Now this may be just my experience with the scissors and I am sure a drop of locktite would probably cure this, but I am now having second thoughts about which model of swisstool I should buy.  Are the scissors on the X the same style as the ones on the swisschamp, or are they any better?  I am hoping that they are the type without a screw in.

I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Scissors
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 05:49:21 PM
I can't say as I've ever had that problem.  None of the screws on any of my SAKs have ever come loose, but then this is also why I tend to prefer the older, riveted models.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 06:00:19 PM
SwissTools dont have screws just rivets so you will have none of the problems that you had with the Swisschamp . I only have one SAK with a screw on the scissors and thats on a huntsman that I bought about 17 years ago . I dont think they use screws anymore . My year old swisschamp has a rivet .

Dunc

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 06:04:02 PM
You might just have a rogue Ben :(, I've been doing the same as you for the last couple of days and have been using my Huntsman, and I haven't had any problems so far :)

Might be worth giving Burton McColl a ring, before you locktite them forever...

Burton McCall Limited
Victorinox House
163 Parker Drive
Leicester LE4 0JP
Tel +44(116)234 46 46
Fax +44(116)235 80 31
sales@burton-mccall.co.uk
www.burton-mccall.co.uk
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 06:20:08 PM
Does anyone know when Victorinox stopped using screws then?  I'm glad they aren't the same.  Back on with the X then.  :D
I'm back!!

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 06:21:58 PM
Does anyone know when Victorinox stopped using screws then?  I'm glad they aren't the same.  Back on with the X then.  :D
Quite a while ago, but don't know exactly :-\

Good man, the X is a bit special :)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 06:23:28 PM
I'm getting an X when Tim stocks them again, (or when I catch one for a good price on ebay..whichever comes first)

I'm going to go check all my SAKs and see which have rivets and which have screws holding the scissors together now :climber:
[

Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 06:24:45 PM

I'm going to go check all my SAKs and see which have rivets and which have screws holding the scissors together now :climber:
How long will that take ???

Offline FredKJ

Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 07:57:31 PM
I got my Super Tinker in 1994.  It still used a screw in the scissors so they had to make a change since then.  That's one of the first things I noticed when I got my new Champion Plus was the screw replaced by a rivet.  If you don't have locktite try some nail polish to seal the screw.  It should set it in place.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 08:15:59 PM
I can't say as I've ever had that problem.  None of the screws on any of my SAKs have ever come loose, but then this is also why I tend to prefer the older, riveted models.

Def

Did you start smokin' early today Def?

I tend to like the newer, riveted models over the older, screw models for this reason.

I have a few older SAKs that have the screws in the scissors, and one of them is loose.  The best way I've found to fix the problem is to tighten the screw to desired tightness, then use a very small punch (like a prick punch) on the back side of the screw to "swage" it in place.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 08:21:21 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 08:39:00 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys.  I will have a look at those once the chaos of xmas is over.
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 08:40:08 PM
rivets on mine, and I think they have some of the best scissors on multi-tools! (me/myself can't say the same thing about other MTs)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%