Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MAG 3D 3W led upgrade w/heatsink

us Offline Splat

MAG 3D 3W led upgrade w/heatsink
on: December 22, 2007, 06:37:59 PM
I just got done revamping my MAG 3D, 3W led upgrade with my homemade heatsink. I wanted to clean it up after finally settling upon a design for the heatsink. I made another one, this time using my final design from the first heatsink.

I used a 3/4" brass garden hose barb fitting and a 3/4" steel washer. Soldered, then epoxied with Loctite Extreme, the washer to the fitting. The washer had to be sanded down ever so slightly to fit snug in the Mag's tube for heatsinking, as well as grounding the bulb. Dremeled the fitting for the bulb's set-screw to retain the focusing feature. Added Arctic Silver 5 to the inner wall where the washer/heatsink would be. Modified the grounding strip from the switch-housing and wedged it between the washer and the inner tube wall. Cut down the Mag's plastic tower, epoxied the heatsink to the Mag switch-housing. Inserted batteries, screwed the head and tailcap on and fired her up. WOW! Now that's a spicy meat'a'ball'a!!! The focusing works fine, no rattles, blinking or any other problems. Ran her for about 10 minutes and she didn't appear to dim at all. I love this light now. Efficient, BRIGHT, and still built like a friggin' tank. Ooorah!  :D

PS, my digicam's batteries are dead so no pics until maybe tomorrow.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
--
Splat
Splat

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: MAG 3D 3W led upgrade w/heatsink
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 11:19:36 PM
That sounds like a cool project. Bring on the pics!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 12:11:50 PM
Any pictures yet I would love to give this a try

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 03:37:18 PM
I can't wait to see the pics.

Happy New Year!

Eddie