Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So what do you think is more sheepeople friendly EDC?

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
on: September 22, 2011, 04:16:01 AM
I'm going to be keeping a large Leatherman Molle sheath on my new Maxpedition Sitka, and was wondering what everyone thinks is the least menacing and attention getting color ST300 to keep in it, BO or SS:

One the one hand I think that BO may look too tactical, but on the other the SS seems to draw attention to itself. :think:

It's going to be carried mostly when traveling out of town. So places like hotels, hospitals, restaurants, and the like.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: So what do you think is more sheepeople friendly EDC?
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:12:07 AM
Honestly my first thought is who cares?  :think:  I really do not mean that in a bad way either. You should not have to make other people feel comfortable. Its a MT were talking about here. Its not like your carrying a huge machete. I don't want you to think I am being an ass towards you in any way its just how I feel about the subject.

On a separate note i'm not sure which finish would be less menacing.    ???
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 04:15:51 PM
SS may appear a little bit less tactical. Nice sheath BTW.

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 06:57:46 PM
I think the Black/tactical look is cool, but more intimidating to the sheeple than SS.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 07:22:33 PM
I would say that the SS is certainly less 'tactical' feeling than the BO, but I really don't think it'll matter to the majority of people.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 07:47:05 PM
I'd go with the black one.  >:D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:40:09 PM by sawman »
SAW

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 10:23:00 PM
Honestly my first thought is who cares?  :think:  I really do not mean that in a bad way either.

I know what you mean, and I usually take the attitude of "I can freely exercise my legal rights", but I'm usually traveling with my wife, so I must capitulate to her sensibilities (my couch isn't that comfortable ;)).

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 10:25:13 PM
Honestly my first thought is who cares?  :think:  I really do not mean that in a bad way either.

I know what you mean, and I usually take the attitude of "I can freely exercise my legal rights", but I'm usually traveling with my wife, so I must capitulate to her sensibilities (my couch isn't that comfortable ;)).

I completely understand.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 10:28:21 PM
SS may appear a little bit less tactical. Nice sheath BTW.

Thanks.  :salute: I do like the sheath, they are really well made, definitely have become my favorite since I got one. I was pleasantly surprised that the brown goes so well with the Maxpedition khaki, and is almost a perfect match to the color of the webbing.  :tu:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 10:42:33 PM
I keep going back and forth. The SS, even though it is shiny it's pretty innocuous, and you see a lot of workmen carrying them.

But the BO looks really nice in the brown sheath :multi:

I don't know, maybe I'll try the BO and see if I get any strange looks...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 11:09:27 PM
I keep going back and forth. The SS, even though it is shiny it's pretty innocuous, and you see a lot of workmen carrying them.

But the BO looks really nice in the brown sheath :multi:

I don't know, maybe I'll try the BO and see if I get any strange looks...

I suppose panic is in the eye of the beholder  :D

I've carried and used my BO Spirit a fair bit and nobody has likened it to a battle ready Klingon mass slaughter affair - now whether that's just people being used to me with tools I'm not sure. I suppose the question is does the term "tactical" apply to those who are not gun/knife/tool freaks, or is it just a black pair of pliers? I doubt many of my "normal" friends would think anything other that "Oh, that's a nice one". I doubt on an item such as an ST300 the colour would make that much difference, well over here at least.

Now if it was a fixed blade knife or even a OHO folder that might would be a different matter. My diminutive Buck Hartsook was rewarded by non-too cuddly comments once or twice, but my multitools and SAKs have been a different story

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 11:47:40 AM
I say try BO, as less people are likely to notice it to begin with.

Sent from my phone

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 11:49:17 AM
I say try BO, as less people are likely to notice it to begin with.

Sent from my phone

My thoughts exactly... Shiny SS one attracts attention more than BO... IMHO :salute: :salute:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 01:51:55 AM
Honestly, I think it's irrelevant. My Malaga can be stripped down until only my watch and keys are hanging off it, and it freaks the commoners out- you have a bag. You have a big, strong, scary looking bag and it means you are either a cop, or you're about to pull out a full auto rocket launcher and lay waste to the mall. * growls*

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that many people here try to be prepared for what the world throws at us, that's why carry a knife, a SAK and/or MT, a flashlight, and who knows what else with us, and as a result, we are more not as "squished" and "broken down" in our body language. We don't shuffle, we don't look down all the time, we speak clearly, we have a variety of skills, and we are proud of being able and ready. And all that discomforts the eloi.

We are the morlocks.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 02:23:28 PM

Whipped? Lol. Nah Jk. Just ask her to be honest. Use the ole "I think black one has better tools in case we need help" line. Followed by the love u part. ;)   If people freak out then they need a multitool too. Introduce them to the forum and as they read these posts. They'll think...ah I'm I the one their talking about.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 07:42:40 PM
but I'm usually traveling with my wife, so I must capitulate to her sensibilities (my couch isn't that comfortable ;)).

I solved that problem by getting a very comfy couch :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 01:19:59 PM
I don’t think people are worried too much about a Multitool; For the majority it is just folding pliers. And in a sheath it looks like a mobile phone, to most people.

However the persons image, behaviour and place of use are usually more upsetting for people.

If you sit in a corner in the hotel lounge wearing a balaclava and flicking the blade out whilst shouting "I am the avenger" then most people will get slightly upset. If you use it in your room or in the countryside etc. or when someone asks for a knife or  a tool etc. then there is no problem.

I have given multitools, and knives to people to use, and used them myself, in supermarkets (ok, no knives there), schools etc with no problem. Colourful multitools, like the juice or Swiss Army knives always appear friendlier.

On the other side I once gave a woman a buck mini toothpick to cut a rope and she said "I did not know you were armed...".. and proceeded to use the knife of course. She was probably expecting a kitchen knife.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 02:20:28 PM
Coming from probably one of the most anti blade countries in the world. I think it is more about when you use the multi. Mine only come out of my pocket when needed. I have in the past lent them to police when they did not have a tool to carry out a task they where doing without any negative effect to me. However walking down the road or in a pub fiddling with the tools would most likely get a different reaction. Don't think the colour would really matter.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 05:40:23 AM
she said "I did not know you were armed..."..

I hope it was the last time you loaned her a tool of any kind. If she first assumes that a knife is not a tool but a weapon, which is a very specific class of device closely related to but for certain legal-fiction purposes separate from tools, then it is obvious where her mind goes. She's not well. We should pity her, but not give her anything hot, sharp, pointy, corrosive/caustic, electrified or otherwise dangerous.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 09:08:59 AM
she said "I did not know you were armed..."..

I hope it was the last time you loaned her a tool of any kind. If she first assumes that a knife is not a tool but a weapon, which is a very specific class of device closely related to but for certain legal-fiction purposes separate from tools, then it is obvious where her mind goes. She's not well. We should pity her, but not give her anything hot, sharp, pointy, corrosive/caustic, electrified or otherwise dangerous.

I have not seen her since; nothing to do with the knife we just happened to be working together for one day   :D . The actual translation of what she said was not armed but carrying a gun.. And the buck mini toothpick is a tiny, cute knife.

Farman, I remember in the UK most people looking for, or trying to avoid, trouble would carry truncheons, mini bats, nunchucks, knuckle dusters etc, rather than any sharp weapons, since these were more effective and less likely to have you imprisoned if you got arrested.

I still remember the shock a friend of mine got in the UK when he realised I had a 1.5" knife with me on my keychain...  ;)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 02:12:35 PM
What can I say. I keep a number of 3 & 4 D cell maglites about the house. They are really good errr ..... flash lights.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 05:55:02 PM
What can I say. I keep a number of 3 & 4 D cell maglites about the house. They are really good errr ..... flash lights.

You also never know when you will need a spare large Axe handle, for when you buy an Axe, so make sure you have some around too  :D

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 06:27:25 PM
One of the nice things about living in the States (at least for now) is that pretty much anywhere I sleep in my house, there is usually a gunpowder operated device within reach... ;)

Anyway, I'll be going out of town in a couple of weeks, so I'll let you all know how the BO one fared. (I will just have to fight the probable tendency to go out of my way to get people to notice it)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 07:13:09 PM

You also never know when you will need a spare large Axe handle, for when you buy an Axe, so make sure you have some around too  :D

UK sports shops also sell a heck of a lot of baseball bats.  Odd I'd say, especially considering the fact that almost no-one plays baseball.  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 02:54:14 AM
UK sports shops also sell a heck of a lot of baseball bats.  Odd I'd say, especially considering the fact that almost no-one plays baseball.  :D

I would think crickett bats would be more popular- the flat for blocking and those time where just want to get their attention, the edge for when you need to be, well, less subtle.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 05:04:04 PM

If you sit in a corner in the hotel lounge wearing a balaclava and flicking the blade out whilst shouting "I am the avenger" then most people will get slightly upset.
How did you know it was me...! No but that IS the guy you want to sit next to on the bus...

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 08:18:18 AM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD