Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surprisingly, the Vic Explorer seems more comfortable than the Climber

nl Offline SteelWing

Today, I decided to get a Victorinox Explorer, which is my first SAK thicker than three layers. Strangely, it feels much more comfortable than the Climber. Perhaps it is due to the additional weight. I am not bothered at all by the added thickness. On the contrary, I even seem to LIKE the added thickness? The three layer Climber just feels sort of weird in my hand. I like two layer SAKs such as the Spartan because they just feel like good knives with some added functionalities. Their blade is closer to the center of the handle, making them very comfortable as knives. The offset position of the blade in the Climber feels strange. However, it is even stranger that the even more offset blade of the Explorer feels natural to me. I also think the Explorer almost feels like a normal screwdriver (weight and dimensions of the handle). Summarizing: I like the Spartan as knife, the Explorer both as knife and screwdriver, whereas the Climber feels sort of unnatural to me both as knife and screwdriver.

Has anyone else also experienced this surprising ergonomic feeling of the Victorinox Explorer? I suppose this is mostly due to its weight.

us Offline MirrorEdge

I didn't ever tried any SAK other than my brother's Vic mountaineer
And I found it very useful and the thickness add's some usefulness to it
And if I could get a SAK it will be Vic fieldmaster or super tinker

Offline grimm_kaosboy

The explorer is one of my all time favorites. I think the thicker knife helps to fill the hand better, even though the blade is offset it is still inline with the thumb and pointer. Thus giving you control.
T

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
I use everything from a Classic SD, to a Pioneer, to a SwissChamp and I think they're all great  :)
SAW

england Offline macabee

As of late I have been carrying an Astronaut on my belt, comfortable, legal EDC and much lighter than my SwissTool :sak:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
While I find that 4 layers is a bit big for comfortable pocket carry I've no issue with it's thickness in hand.  Not sure that I find 3 layers less so though.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%