Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knockoffs and other tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Knockoffs and other tools
on: November 27, 2006, 02:57:22 AM
With Non Denominational Gift Giving Season almost upon us, my thoughts drift back to the wonderful tools that I have been given in Non Denominational Gft Giving Seasons past.  Sometimes I get a kick out of the wonderful tools (and exceptional deals!) that non knife and non tool people manage to find around the Non Denominational Holiday Season.  Here are but a few of the treasures that I am saving for "special" occasions...

Def

* Multi01.JPG (Filesize: 34.55 KB)

* Multi02.JPG (Filesize: 27.01 KB)

* Multi03.JPG (Filesize: 26.18 KB)

* Multi04.JPG (Filesize: 36.41 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Knockoffs and other tools
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 03:01:05 AM
These two fantastic examples of Sheffield tools are made of genuine stainless steel, easily identified by the large spots of rust developing on them.  They actually do come with a lifetime warranty so they must be an excellent tool.  And a great bargain at only $12-15 for an 8 tool set, available at finer Wal*Marts everywhere.  I will post pics of some of the other tools in the set when I find where I tossed them...

Def

* Multi05.JPG (Filesize: 27.75 KB)

* Multi06.JPG (Filesize: 33.55 KB)

* Multi07.JPG (Filesize: 33.76 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 03:05:37 AM
This one actually is not a hunk of crap.  It is far from Leatherman, SOG or Gerber level of quality, but with rubber coated grips and a selection of hex wrenches built into one of it's tools, I actually find this one both comfortable and handy.  I'd really like to see a similar design done by a serious tool maker.  This one has actually seen a fair bit of work and is still in decent shape, but I wouldn't push it too hard.  One other benefit is that it is all held together with screws- a huge bonus if you break a tool and need to replace it, similar to the SOG system.  Of course, good luck finding replacement tools!

Come on everyone- show your knockoffs!

Def

* Multi08.JPG (Filesize: 38.83 KB)

* Multi09.JPG (Filesize: 30.14 KB)

* Multi10.JPG (Filesize: 29.18 KB)

* Multi11.JPG (Filesize: 36.05 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 03:14:05 AM
Come on everyone- show your knockoffs!

Def

Maybe the rest of us do not wish to admit that we OWN knockoffs.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 03:16:55 AM
I don't blame you... the QC is so low on those Sheffields that the stickers aren't even on straight!

Def

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 03:20:13 AM
Sorry Def, I don't have any knockoff multitools, but if you want to see a picture of my "Made in China, Taiwan, Korea home tools I can start taking pictures now :)  Not really, that would take too long.  However, in the spirit of knockoffs, have you seen one of these:
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Shop_Tools-All-Craftsman_Pro_Multi_Adjustable_Tool_45471

A Sears Craftsman brand multi.  I was talking to a guy at work who had one and brought it in, looked to me like a Schrade Tough-Tool with a Craftsman Professional stamping.  I can't find too much information on the web about them, but I wonder if anyone here...Bob...knows who makes it??

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 03:24:09 AM
I'd say that it certainly looks like a Schrade tool to me.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 03:25:15 AM
Oh all right, I'll admit I own a few junkers too. (But I'll deny it vehemently if you guys ever tell anyone!)

This fine example of east Asian craftsmanship was a gift from a relative: "Here, you like to collect these multi tool things, don't you?"

Golly gee, thanks. Nope, I do not already have that one. Lucky me.

* Field & Stream tool.jpg (Filesize: 42.41 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 03:28:42 AM
I know that feeling.  The Sheffields were from my mother in law a few years ago and the MasterGrip was from my brother.  My mother in law also recently gave me an "As Seen On TV" folding saw for my birthday.  I accidentally broke it while unfolding it.  I'll tell you if my plane ever crashes in the Andes I'll be glad to have that thing!

For some other knockoffs to laugh at, check the Hall of Shame gallery on SOSAKOnline:
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=31&catid=7

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 03:29:47 AM
A Sears Craftsman brand multi.  I was talking to a guy at work who had one and brought it in, looked to me like a Schrade Tough-Tool with a Craftsman Professional stamping.  I can't find too much information on the web about them, but I wonder if anyone here...Bob...knows who makes it??

That there is no knock-off, it is genuine New York Schrade. It was called the Tough Tool ST5 by Schrade, and was also produced for Sears Craftsman. The slip-joint plier was a unique feature for multi tools.  

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 03:33:34 AM

....... The slip-joint plier was a unique feature for multi tools.  
That was the only feature that really caught my eye, I liked it.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 03:39:53 AM
....... The slip-joint plier was a unique feature for multi tools.  
That was the only feature that really caught my eye, I liked it.

It's a neat tool, but boy is it ever big! Much too wide for carrying.
Built like a tank though.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 03:45:37 AM
Okay, here's another P.O.S.
I've seen these for sale at gas stations and 7-11 stores. My youngest daughter had it in her tackle box. It has a LED light folded into one handle, and imitation files, knives, and screwdrivers in the other.

The back of the knife blade is only slightly duller than the cutting edge. The phillips screwdriver was made off-center, and only has three tines. The small flat head screwdriver is more like a small, rounded-over piece of metal.

At least the light works.

* Shark YC-9.jpg (Filesize: 66.65 KB)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 06:15:27 AM

A Sears Craftsman brand multi.  I was talking to a guy at work who had one and brought it in, looked to me like a Schrade Tough-Tool with a Craftsman Professional stamping.  I can't find too much information on the web about them, but I wonder if anyone here...Bob...knows who makes it??

I have one and it was made by Schrade.   As far as I know, they were sold outside the USA with the Schrade label as the ST5.  The only ones sold in the USA were sold at Sears and bore the Craftsman label.   It's my heaviest multitool and I rarely use it. 

* sears-multitool.jpg (Filesize: 49.74 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline spunkyruss

Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 06:17:46 AM
I have a few knock-offs somewhere, but they're all buried somewhere in the basement.  My hope is that they will sacrificially rust, preventing anything important from doing so.

I classify them as used food, but they could also be considered full-scale models of multitools.  They look like multitools, but they're not functional.

One rather unique property that they all seem to share is that they're impossible to lose.  People even return them if you loan them out.  Just try that with a real multitool.

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 06:36:19 PM
I frequently see knock-offs and multitool-looking-things in promotional product catatlogs.  I even had one customer request samples of some of them :o  Being a nice guy, I got the samples for her.  Being an even nicer guy, I wrote reviews of each tool and included necessary safety warnings.  Being a heck of a nice guy, I suggested that for the price of the cheapies she could get and give several models of the Victorinox 58mm line.

So far, she has not decided to buy any of the knock-offs.  Of course, she hasn't placed a Vic order either.

I'll try to round up some pics of the promo items to post.

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 02:15:14 AM

I have one and it was made by Schrade.   As far as I know, they were sold outside the USA with the Schrade label as the ST5.  The only ones sold in the USA were sold at Sears and bore the Craftsman label.   It's my heaviest multitool and I rarely use it. 

I would never use it, but with my slow dying loyalty to Craftsman stuff(I am getting tired of seeing more and more items made in china and not carrying the full 100% Craftsman warranty anymore) I thought about picking one up.  Guess I'll check ebay ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%