Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need advice on what to do:

us Offline bren10man

on: September 27, 2011, 02:20:47 PM
Here is the deal: I bought a Swiss Champ with olive SOS kit off E-bay.

My wife showed it to me last night.  ONE small problem: the fingernail nick on the file is broken off.  File is intact, but how that broke off, I do not know.

I gave a negative rating on e-bay to the seller (not as advertised: "Excellent condition").  I changed my mind about that and will make it a positive, but lowest possible.

Anyways, it is a 1987-1990 one, pre hook, etc.   I want to either get it fixed by someone here, or, send it to Victorinox for repair.  Things to consider:

1. if I send it to Vic for repair, they will probably replace it

2. or replace the broken blade

What I am concerned: I do not need another Swiss Champ....I really wanted the olive SOS kit.  Other thing, I want to keep it, IF they or someone else can fix it with pre-pin scales.   

Thoughts?
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Need advice on what to do:
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:22:40 PM
How about using it for modding? You have the kit you want... you could have some fun making something else out of it :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline bren10man

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:28:39 PM
That is tempting.......I have never done it before.   I just hate to ruin a 1st run Swiss Champ...even if the file is toast.   

I wished I had of looked at the pic closer...hard to notice unless you REALLY blow it up big.   

Of course, the minute the scales come off, that is it.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 09:12:18 PM
Can you post a pic of this knife with damage. That way we can better tell what / how needs to be done.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 11:55:54 PM
Well after further review and research from SAK wiki. The chances of finding a file that would be identical to the one you have is pretty slim. I would ask. Does it still work? Ate there any other problems with the knife? And is this a collectable for you or a user? If it is then I say leave it as it is. If it is a user and you use the file a lot. Then get it fixed.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 12:21:28 AM
Well after further review and research from SAK wiki. The chances of finding a file that would be identical to the one you have is pretty slim.

Not true at all. There are only 5 types of 91mm files, and this one (1973-1993 style) is probably the most common. I have 4-5 of them downstairs in parts knives.

Bren10man, if you want I can repair this for you with the proper period correct file and even reuse the original scales (there are ways to remove them for repairs without damaging them). Gratis. Just have your wife mail me the knife. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll get you more details.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 12:39:30 AM
Jazzbass: thanks...check your PM.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 01:50:09 AM
Well after further review and research from SAK wiki. The chances of finding a file that would be identical to the one you have is pretty slim.

Not true at all. There are only 5 types of 91mm files, and this one (1973-1993 style) is probably the most common. I have 4-5 of them downstairs in parts knives.

Bren10man, if you want I can repair this for you with the proper period correct file and even reuse the original scales (there are ways to remove them for repairs without damaging them). Gratis. Just have your wife mail me the knife. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll get you more details.

I stand corrected. :bow:  thanks jazz for the enlightenment. 

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 01:52:46 AM

JazzBass,

That's unbelievably cool.  Definitely a pay it forward moment.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 01:59:14 AM
MT.O Generosity strikes again!!   :salute: Jazz!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%