Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Keychain SAK: Hold out for +B Voyageur or get a Rambler

Glblav · 12 · 2615

de Offline Glblav

Keychain SAK: Hold out for +B Voyageur or get a Rambler
on: September 28, 2011, 04:14:45 PM
Got myself into a bit of a dilemma here. After researching which SAKs to get for my limited to five collection, I decided it would be great to have a keychain SAK as well. The problem is, the one knife that fits the bill perfectly is the discontinued Voyageur  :ahhh . So here's the options:

1. I hold out for a Swiss Bianco Voyageur (which may well never get made).
2. Get an Alox Rambler instead and be happy, even though it lacks the can opener.

How realistic is holding out for this model, considering that the 84mm scissors have apparently been discontinued?

:cheers:

Alex

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Keychain SAK: Hold out for +B Voyageur or get a Rambler
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:30:16 PM
I do not know the model but:
Have you looked for a used (good condition) one, either here or on e.g. Ebay?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline Glblav

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:46:24 PM
From what I've learned, the Alox Voyageur is a very rare model these days, and apparently is selling in the $300 range, according to an older thread on here. Might be able to afford a used one in a couple of decades, but not on my limited student budget.

Thanks for the input though,

Alex

de Offline Jmora

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 04:55:52 PM
have you checked out what they do on the mod forums? there are modders who do some amazing things, and might make one up for you. some 84mm scissors would need to be found - relatively hard, but not impossible. then you buy an alox bantam, and you have your ingredients, or maybe an extra liner somewhere.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 06:40:53 PM
Felinevet shop popped to my mind (and on google)... Didn't check there but you may look at EDCsource - Felinevet shop, and I know Tim is great guy!!  :salute: :salute:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:51:18 PM
My understanding is that Victorinox has long ago used up all it's stock of 84mm scissors, and so you'll never see a SB run on them.

As Jmora says you can find old 84mm SAK's with scissors and have them modded into a Alox bantam.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

de Offline Glblav

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 07:23:35 PM
have you checked out what they do on the mod forums? there are modders who do some amazing things, and might make one up for you. some 84mm scissors would need to be found - relatively hard, but not impossible. then you buy an alox bantam, and you have your ingredients, or maybe an extra liner somewhere.
My understanding is that Victorinox has long ago used up all it's stock of 84mm scissors, and so you'll never see a SB run on them.

As Jmora says you can find old 84mm SAK's with scissors and have them modded into a Alox bantam.

Thanks for the info, the mod section sure looks interesting!  :drool: I'll be keeping my eyes open for those 84mm scissors. I'd love to take on the challenge of modding one myself, but unfortunately lack all the neccessary tools  :(  :(. Not wanting to step on anyones toes, but once I have the parts, who do I talk to regarding modding, and how does that work? I sure don't want to say something wrong or anything, being a newbie and all.

Alex

de Offline Jmora

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 09:04:28 PM
you can get an impression of the active modders looking at the more recent posts on the SAK mod forum (bit of a renaissance going on at the moment for SAK modding, definitely comparable to the cultural achievements of the Medici era).
I can recommend Neil: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,26519.msg473831.html#msg473831
and you can always put an ad on 'tools needed' in the trade section.

de Offline Glblav

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 09:46:11 PM
you can get an impression of the active modders looking at the more recent posts on the SAK mod forum (bit of a renaissance going on at the moment for SAK modding, definitely comparable to the cultural achievements of the Medici era).
I can recommend Neil: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,26519.msg473831.html#msg473831
and you can always put an ad on 'tools needed' in the trade section.

The mod section is great, and Neil's work looks awesome, especially that "Harvesting Golfer"! I'll expand my "tools needed" post to include 84mm scissors models.

Thanks!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 02:09:09 AM
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 02:19:45 AM
I vote for the Alox Rambler.  Of course, I'm a little biased as I just got a nice red one from Tim.  It's so far my favorite SAK  :D
SAW

de Offline Glblav

Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 09:52:33 PM
limited to five

Crazy talk! :ahhh

It's the quality, not quantity that counts  :D  :D. Dont get me wrong, I'd love to own 50 SAKs, but don't have the $$, or the ability to store them. Will be tough enough getting the five that I've settled on, well three of them anyway.

I vote for the Alox Rambler.  Of course, I'm a little biased as I just got a nice red one from Tim.  It's so far my favorite SAK  :D

The Rambler is tempting, but the lure of a Voyageur is moreso  :D. Might settle for a Rambler if I can't get a hold of the parts I need for the Voyageur, but for now I'll keep searching and hoping.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD