Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger quality

us Offline Chain Gang

Wenger quality
on: September 30, 2011, 06:38:15 AM
I am watching several Wengers on fleabay and since I have never owned one I'm curious if the quality is the same as Vic.They look like they are made in the same factory.I really like the Wenger's egro scales and I may add a couple to the collection.

Offline Peter

Re: Wenger quality
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 06:43:16 AM
My Wenger is great. I keep it in my survival kit, as my main survival tool.

us Offline Tyler_

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:11:00 AM
I've tried to like Wenger as much as I do Vic, but I really think Vic is better.

1. Wenger springs tend to be weak compared to Vic.  All of the Wengers I have do not have that nice snap.

2. The Wenger combo tool ( found on the Evo 63 and Picnic) sucks compared to the Victorinox.  Hard to open cans with and the screwdriving portion is very close to the angled can/bottle opening portion which could make it hard to turn in certain situations.

3. The Wenger toothpick is flimsy and small compared to the Vic's.

I do like the Wenger scissors and bottle opener/ screwdriver that locks when you push on it.

Also the Wenger Standard Issue is their best knife, in my opinion.

That said you should add a few to your collection.  They tend to go cheaper than Vics on Ebay, especially used models.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:13:54 AM by Tyler_ »

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:29:52 AM
Good info Tyler.I did notice the Wengers were a little more affordable.I found several in the $5-$10 range so it may be worth it to add a couple to the collection at that price.My MT and knife budget is taking a nose dive since I've joined this forum so cheap is good.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:14:27 AM
I agree with Tyler in that its definitely something you have to work out for yourself by buying a couple. I couldn't get on with the serraed scissors on small Huntsman equivalent that I bought, though I like the smaller 85mm size. I also like the ranger series.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%