Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!

fi Offline temo

Re: THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #540 on: December 19, 2015, 01:58:10 PM
Agree that shavette is a bit different compared to straight razor. At least I do long moves with straight razor but with shavette need to be more careful. And use both hands (tighten the skin with other, shave with other). So straight razor slides better and edge is longer. With shavette I do small area at time usually with short strokes. With straight razor I have done a long strokes. Though I have not used shavette a lot. And still I have done more nicks with shavette, with straight razor almost none. Though nothing big with shavette but some you can feel and see.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #541 on: December 19, 2015, 07:03:19 PM
I'm using a safety razor (or DE=double edge) on my head, and am a newbie as well. I'm learning that its not what you have as much as it is technique. I found some pretty good videos on y.t. Check out how actual barbers do it :D they gotta do it for a living, so what they do works
Err, a safety DE on the head,, this ought to be interesting.. I started shaving the dome with just a normal razor, but then switched to a headblade, stuck with it ever since. I also switched to a safety on the face and well, best I've ever had, but idk about the safety on the head? How's that working?
JR
Its a learning processes for sure. I switched to Safety Razor after trying out other different shaving systems. First with a disposable crappy razor that I already had, then to a mach 3 and the likes, with more blade I got more ingrowns and burn, especially on the back of my neck. Then I've been trying electric, A Wahl super close, I've seen barbershops using them. Pretty close but not slick like I want, bringing me to the Merkur 23c and various creams that I'm trying now. If I let it go 2 days then I use my electric, followed by the DE. I'm on the right track I believe, but now want to get a heavier more aggressive razor, a badger brush and delve into the blade, soap, cream aftershave, preshave abyss   :D.
I would like to try a shavette on my head someday, but I gotta get used to maintaining a 30 degree angle with a a safety first haha.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #542 on: December 19, 2015, 09:43:54 PM
I'm using a safety razor (or DE=double edge) on my head, and am a newbie as well. I'm learning that its not what you have as much as it is technique. I found some pretty good videos on y.t. Check out how actual barbers do it :D they gotta do it for a living, so what they do works
Err, a safety DE on the head,, this ought to be interesting.. I started shaving the dome with just a normal razor, but then switched to a headblade, stuck with it ever since. I also switched to a safety on the face and well, best I've ever had, but idk about the safety on the head? How's that working?
JR
Its a learning processes for sure. I switched to Safety Razor after trying out other different shaving systems. First with a disposable crappy razor that I already had, then to a mach 3 and the likes, with more blade I got more ingrowns and burn, especially on the back of my neck. Then I've been trying electric, A Wahl super close, I've seen barbershops using them. Pretty close but not slick like I want, bringing me to the Merkur 23c and various creams that I'm trying now. If I let it go 2 days then I use my electric, followed by the DE. I'm on the right track I believe, but now want to get a heavier more aggressive razor, a badger brush and delve into the blade, soap, cream aftershave, preshave abyss   :D.
I would like to try a shavette on my head someday, but I gotta get used to maintaining a 30 degree angle with a a safety first haha.
Learning for sure, no one ever tought me anything. I just picked up a razor and went to town. For the face I've tried everything, two blade, four blade, five blade or even electric, all cut ok, but everything left bumps under the chin no mater how I cut. Until I moved up to a DE safety, smoothest cut, and no bumps. So I'll stick with the one I got. As for the dome I've used a bunch of diff ones, both four or two blade, I think the two blade is better cause it doesn't clog as fast, as for the razor, the headblade is great, I don't need a mirror, I just cut it while in the shower, quick and easy, then when done just clean it off.. Using a DE on it I think it would clog within a 2" stroke since the gap is so small, unlike a shavette, I would just worry about and probably be at it for over 30 so my head would probably be red and covered in cuts..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #543 on: December 20, 2015, 12:21:37 AM
That is true, it is pretty time consuming. I saw a headblade for like 11$ at wally world a few days ago. Ive never tried one but will. Do you use any lather with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #544 on: December 20, 2015, 07:55:30 AM
That is true, it is pretty time consuming. I saw a headblade for like 11$ at wally world a few days ago. Ive never tried one but will. Do you use any lather with it?

Yeah, the bar of soap, give it a quick clean then lather up and shave it away. Which one?  there's two diff models, the new one which pulls the blade and the original that actually pushes the blade. I like the original one better, the only downer is around the ears, it doesn't get to tight, so I keep both in the shower. First, use the original with only a two blade, then after that use the newer one with a four blade to clean up any missed spots, work it into any tight corners, and to get a very smooth shave.
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #545 on: December 20, 2015, 03:08:06 PM
Im going to give them a look, thanks MP

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #546 on: December 20, 2015, 05:54:05 PM
Im going to give them a look, thanks MP
No prob, idk what blades come with them now since they now make there own 4 and 6 blade, but the ones that fit that are a two blade are Atra, never the less you can get imitations online for dirt cheap.. Any questions just ask..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #547 on: December 20, 2015, 06:16:48 PM
Here's a pic, the top one is their older one that I like(they have an even older one, but without wheels lol) but the top one pushes the blade which gives a very clean cut, even though it sounds bad, at least that's what I thought until I tried it, and the bottom one is the newer one that pulls, the blades in the pic are the ones I use, the bottom ones are the ones they give for the newer style, the others are the cheap ones I found that fit the older style.  If you go to there website you can get videos and other info..
JR

Oh yeah, I forgot, idk if you like a after shave for the dome, but they have two diff creams one that is shiny and another that is a matte, I like the matte, doesn't give that blinding shine..
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 06:27:29 PM by MadPlumbarian »

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #548 on: December 20, 2015, 09:46:01 PM
I do use aftershave for sure, Ive been using a St James that I really like, also have  a nivea balm from Walmart that I use most days. I was thinking that multiple blade were causing my irritation and bumps, but hey its worth a shot man, since a fellow baldy found something that works :salute:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #549 on: December 21, 2015, 10:43:34 PM
We were out today and stopped in a little dollar store to pick up a few thing, and as we were getting ready to get into line I saw something, I've been after a new mug for a while, I originally thought a soup mug but I saw this little guy and changed my mind.. It's a little wider then my current one, but also a little shorter. This way I won't bang my knuckles when I whip the brush, and since a little wider I should be able to get a good whip and it will fit the larger pucks. Not bad for $2, I'll have to wait till Thursday to try it though.. :(
JR
Sorry I put the rulers to give an idea on size, but it has a very nice curve at the bottom that you can't see..

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #550 on: December 22, 2015, 03:57:59 PM
Took a better pic, kinda cute.. Just gotta see how it does its job..
JR

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #551 on: December 22, 2015, 05:57:52 PM
One of the projects I'm considering for over the holidays is refurbishing my ye olde open razor. All that really needs doing, is getting the edge back shave ready and taking the little nicks out of the edge.

However, the handles are just black plastic, and I thought about replacing them with wood. I just received some olive wood and some teak today, so I might have a look at using some of that (I'm saving the wych elm burr for a folder).

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #552 on: December 22, 2015, 11:44:35 PM

JR

(Image removed from quote.)
Looks good! Ive been wanting to hit up some thrift stores around town and see if any cool mugs surface. Hey if that one doesn't work out, you can always use it for Soup

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #553 on: December 23, 2015, 12:21:12 AM

JR

Looks good! Ive been wanting to hit up some thrift stores around town and see if any cool mugs surface. Hey if that one doesn't work out, you can always use it for Soup

:D

A nice bit of improvisation there  :tu: I was tempted to look for a suitable lather whipping receptacle myself, but now just use my face instead  :D (helps get the lather really worked in well too)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline farwarden

• New User
Reply #554 on: December 23, 2015, 01:22:30 AM

Part of my daily routine

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #555 on: December 23, 2015, 08:08:11 AM

Part of my daily routine

Nice mug there farwarden, and let me be the first to say welcome to the forum!
JR

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #556 on: December 23, 2015, 10:13:09 AM
I'm firmly in the DE camp, both Vintage and Modern.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #557 on: December 23, 2015, 06:34:07 PM

Look another newbie, welcome aboard Boaz!
JR

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #558 on: December 23, 2015, 06:42:39 PM
Welcome gentleman! Glad to have you aboard, what kind of DE are in your pics?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:45:12 PM by JBW1 »

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #559 on: December 23, 2015, 07:02:44 PM

Look another newbie, welcome aboard Boaz!
JR

Thank you very much, I'm glad to be here.

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #560 on: December 23, 2015, 07:04:47 PM

Welcome gentleman! Glad to have you aboard, what kind of DE are in your pics?

Thank you, I'm my picture the  Razor head is a Gillette Long Comb New and the handle is Razorock Stainless taken from my SLAB.

I will dig out some more pictures and get involved in the chat.

Cheers

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #561 on: December 23, 2015, 07:07:59 PM
Welcome, I like the Acqua Di Parma, I did use the shaving cream for a while but I couldn't find a reliable supplier of it. I still use their aftershave. Nice Gillette BTW  :salute:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:46:13 PM by Smashie »
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #562 on: December 23, 2015, 07:14:29 PM
On my last trip to Vegas I hit up the Antique shops and scored some pretty cool stuff, the brushes will get new knots and have plenty of life left in them.

The Lady Gillette, is in very good condition and complete with a nice advert.

The other one is a Super Speed from
1949, it is in mint condition and the blade packet still has the cellophane on it, I managed to get it for $10 which I a pretty good deal.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #563 on: December 23, 2015, 07:41:47 PM
Nice, I think I need a new brush, I just can't see getting a used one. I have a crappy one from a kit that I've never used maybe it's time to put that to use..
JR

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #564 on: December 23, 2015, 08:34:36 PM
I NEED a real brush and stand bro, im new to the wet shaving world, but the 5$ i spent on a MARVY 923 was a bad choice haha

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #565 on: December 23, 2015, 09:41:39 PM
Here's a stand I got a few years ago, the only thing is the platform is to only hold some plastic soap puck holder, so I took the razor that came with it, cut the end of it off, then glued it to the bottom of the little tray, this way it can take the weight of any mug. It's not a perfect fit but I think it's not bad,, of course I could always just cut the tray off.. Now the only thing is what do I do with the other brush, and on top of that I'm getting another razor for Xmas, so two and two. I might have to get that other stand that holds two of both.. We'll see..
JR

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #566 on: December 24, 2015, 12:15:48 AM
You need one of these lather bowls!  :)

I face lather but have one sitting around here for some reason!  LOL

il_570xN.744164556_b2xe.jpg
* il_570xN.744164556_b2xe.jpg (Filesize: 66.34 KB)
il_570xN.744291135_5jl0.jpg
* il_570xN.744291135_5jl0.jpg (Filesize: 33.56 KB)

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #567 on: December 24, 2015, 12:36:58 AM
On my last trip to Vegas I hit up the Antique shops and scored some pretty cool stuff, the brushes will get new knots and have plenty of life left in them.

1949, it is in mint condition and the blade packet still has the cellophane on it, I managed to get it for $10 which I a pretty good deal.

Do you think the Gillette  SuperSpeed Red tip is as aggressive as a Gillette "New" open comb? At the moment I have a merker 23c but am wanting a more aggressive heavier razor. Have you owned either, I've also read the Fat boy or Slim are also pretty aggressive. What do you think man?

us Offline farwarden

• New User
Reply #568 on: December 24, 2015, 06:18:05 AM
Merkur in mine

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #569 on: December 24, 2015, 08:44:09 AM

Do you think the Gillette  SuperSpeed Red tip is as aggressive as a Gillette "New" open comb? At the moment I have a merker 23c but am wanting a more aggressive heavier razor. Have you owned either, I've also read the Fat boy or Slim are also pretty aggressive. What do you think man?

I have a couple of Fat boys and a Slim, I've used the red tip   I find the red top not very aggressive. I would recommend a Fat Boy, it is a lovely Razir to use and you can set it just how you like. Make sure you update what you get!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%