Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Re: THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #570 on: December 24, 2015, 05:41:21 PM
On my last trip to Vegas I hit up the Antique shops and scored some pretty cool stuff, the brushes will get new knots and have plenty of life left in them.

The Lady Gillette, is in very good condition and complete with a nice advert.

The other one is a Super Speed from
1949, it is in mint condition and the blade packet still has the cellophane on it, I managed to get it for $10 which I a pretty good deal.

(Image removed from quote.)

Do you think the Gillette  SuperSpeed Red tip is as aggressive as a Gillette "New" open comb? At the moment I have a merker 23c but am wanting a more aggressive heavier razor. Have you owned either, I've also read the Fat boy or Slim are also pretty aggressive. What do you think man?

I havent used a New open comb but have used the red tip and it is pretty aggressive.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #571 on: December 26, 2015, 08:12:58 AM
Here's my new pucks of soap to put in that soup mug I got earlier, also a new razor to give a try, heavy little razor too!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #572 on: December 26, 2015, 08:48:56 AM
 :tu:

What flavours are they?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #573 on: December 26, 2015, 06:29:03 PM
:tu:

What flavours are they?
:think: um, bay rum, almond, Amber, and lime, not in that order. You would think rum would smell the best, but I think Amber and lime do, I just don't remember which gives the best shave, so I got the four pack, that should be good for another 2yrs, lol. Then maybe I'll try a diff brand.
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #574 on: December 26, 2015, 06:54:36 PM
Is the razor a Gibson? Ive not heard of that brand, it looks great! I recently found out that  Col. Conk is manufactured here in NM only about 20 min from me. Too bad they don't have a store front, but maybe they will have a warehouse sale... I will keep my ears on

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #575 on: December 26, 2015, 07:26:25 PM
Is the razor a Gibson? Ive not heard of that brand, it looks great! I recently found out that  Col. Conk is manufactured here in NM only about 20 min from me. Too bad they don't have a store front, but maybe they will have a warehouse sale... I will keep my ears on
Yes a Gibson, nope never heard of it myself, but they had something to do with Amazon and they were only $13, on sale from $50, so I fig I'd try it. I did find their website, but something seems fishy, but hey $13? I must say it's got some weight to it!
JR

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #576 on: January 01, 2016, 04:25:01 AM
How do you like your new razor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #577 on: January 01, 2016, 08:56:56 AM
How do you like your new razor?

Idk, I haven't tried it yet, it kinda quickly got cold, and I'm really not one to shave in cold weather..
JR

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #578 on: January 01, 2016, 01:28:32 PM
I tried trim something different yesterday, and used a bowl to whip a lather rather than just working it on my face.

I did the usual hot water prep on the beard, but used an enamel bowl for whipping the lather which I left floating in the hot water to keep the temperature up. The lather felt really nice, but the shave was probably not as good as when building the lather directly on the stubble. The lather just didn't seem to work into the stubble as well as usual.

I'll be going back to. The old way of applying it directly but slightly wet, and working till the lather reaches the right consistency. This seems to do a better job of lubricating the beard, on my face at least. Maybe it brush and soap has an influence on what works best, and I might get different results with other products, but this is what seems to works best for the gear i have right now.

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #579 on: January 01, 2016, 02:15:13 PM
My set up from my last shave of 2015, the Razor is my Birth year and quartet and I love using it.

The Arko is very simple to use and gives plenty of thick Lemony Lather.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #580 on: January 01, 2016, 06:32:42 PM
One new(but old)thing that got tried was my electric razor, it's in near brand new condition and my son gave it a try, he said he liked it,, so idk if he's going to switch to the electric or stay with his 5blade? Guess we'll see..
JR

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #581 on: January 01, 2016, 10:04:25 PM

I tried trim something different yesterday, and used a bowl to whip a lather rather than just working it on my face.

I did the usual hot water prep on the beard, but used an enamel bowl for whipping the lather which I left floating in the hot water to keep the temperature up. The lather felt really nice, but the shave was probably not as good as when building the lather directly on the stubble. The lather just didn't seem to work into the stubble as well as usual.

I'll be going back to. The old way of applying it directly but slightly wet, and working till the lather reaches the right consistency. This seems to do a better job of lubricating the beard, on my face at least. Maybe it brush and soap has an influence on what works best, and I might get different results with other products, but this is what seems to works best for the gear i have right now.

I face lather as well, but just because i haven't gotten a bowl yet, but i think id continue with face lathering and just use the bowl for soaking a brush anyway.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #582 on: January 01, 2016, 10:06:01 PM
I found a shaving set at a trader joes for $10. The brush sheds like crazy, but the soap and aftershave seems pretty good.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #583 on: January 01, 2016, 10:34:04 PM

I face lather as well, but just because i haven't gotten a bowl yet, but i think id continue with face lathering and just use the bowl for soaking a brush anyway.

For properly wetting a brush, here's what I've found works well....

Fill the sink or scuttle with hot water, dip and swill and return to the stand. Move onto hot flannel on the face while the brush is soaking up the residual water, but not sitting I water and getting too soft. After the hot flannel, dip the brush back in the hot water, and work it around the face as if you were working in a lather. Keep dipping the brush and working it into the face for a minute or so. This helps to prepare both the face and the brush.

Collect some soap on the brush, and start face lathering. If it's wet enough, the lather should be trying to run down the neck a bit (too wet for a bowl lather, but perfect for a face lather). Keep working and working it till the excess moisture disappears and a rich lather starts to form.

I find the working in of the water into the brush and face, and then starting with a lather that is too wet, really does help the prep and makes for a smoother shave. I know it goes against the recognised convention, but it works well for me, although it can extend prep time slightly

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #584 on: January 01, 2016, 11:44:58 PM
Yeah, just a heads up but I posted some straights (4 of them for $120) on a Facebook Wet Shaver Enabler's buy/sell/trade group if interested.  I also have a lather bowl with ridges inside from Shavework's ($20) but haven't posted it yet.

Thx.

@Boaz -  Arko rocks!  Great lathering soap!  I use it all the time in a twist up container!  :)

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #585 on: January 02, 2016, 09:39:23 AM
@sir_mike well sad Sir!  Arko does indeed rock, probably like yourself I've got a fair selection of creams/soaps and Razors. Not got any Straights, DE is working pretty well for me. Good luck  with your sale n

us Offline BASguy

THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #586 on: January 02, 2016, 04:59:59 PM
Thought I'd get in on this, it's an interesting thread.  I (for the most part) quit experimenting many years ago when I found a setup that works for me.
I use a scuttle for soaking the brush while I shower.  Face lather with either Proraso, Arko (stick or bowl), or Palmolive Stick.  Feather blades on DE.  Post shave is Alum block and then Clubman.
Brush is a boar hair Semouge 1800.  I don't like Badger as it's just to soft.
The razor is a Gillette Tech head mounted on an automatic center punch body.  Wanted a heavy handle so I just tapped that and made my own for about $3 instead of buying one for 10x that amount.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:06:50 PM by BASguy »

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #587 on: January 02, 2016, 06:17:24 PM
No nonsense set up there! I can't wait till I get through the experiment stage and find what works. The bathroom counter is starting to get a little cramped :D

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #588 on: January 02, 2016, 07:25:33 PM

No nonsense set up there! I can't wait till I get through the experiment stage and find what works. The bathroom counter is starting to get a little cramped :D

It's great fun searching for something you like and gives good results. I've been using one pretty much all of last year as I found it worked really well. I was surprised it was a modern DE and not one if my vintage pieces. Good luck with the hunt.

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #589 on: January 02, 2016, 07:26:43 PM

Thought I'd get in on this, it's an interesting thread.  I (for the most part) quit experimenting many years ago when I found a setup that works for me.
I use a scuttle for soaking the brush while I shower.  Face lather with either Proraso, Arko (stick or bowl), or Palmolive Stick.  Feather blades on DE.  Post shave is Alum block and then Clubman.
The razor is a Gillette Tech head mounted on an automatic center punch body.  Wanted a heavy handle so I just tapped that and made my own for about $3 instead of buying one for 10x that amount.(Image removed from quote.)

Very nice set up, I've tried and enjoyed everything bar the Semouge, something I need to put on a list to try.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #590 on: January 02, 2016, 08:31:28 PM

Very nice set up, I've tried and enjoyed everything bar the Semouge, something I need to put on a list to try.

Mine is close to 10 years old now and looks almost new.  I had some periodic shedding for several years, now just the occasional hair.  Great purchase.  I don't think they're much more than $20 now :shrug:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #591 on: April 17, 2016, 07:25:40 PM
Well, no posts since January, I guess I'll change that! With this nice weather here I decided to clean up, shaved the dome and then the face,(just not the goatee, that stays) cause all winter I only use the buzzers to keep a little insulation.. But what can I say, I'm smoooooooth :D
JR

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #592 on: April 17, 2016, 08:25:20 PM
Does anybody have any advice for shaving with a straitgh razor? I'm right handed and I find that my hand gets in the way when doing the right side. I've tried using the left hand but I'm not particularly good at it.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #593 on: April 18, 2016, 07:49:08 AM
Does anybody have any advice for shaving with a straitgh razor? I'm right handed and I find that my hand gets in the way when doing the right side. I've tried using the left hand but I'm not particularly good at it.

Don't cut your throat.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #594 on: April 18, 2016, 09:59:36 AM

Don't cut your throat.

Sound advise for most occasions!  :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #595 on: April 18, 2016, 01:20:29 PM

Are you sure you're doing it right?! It's usually the other way around...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #596 on: April 19, 2016, 10:59:45 AM
Oh dear, oh dear!!! Opposite hand?? I can barely use the non-opposite one?! And here I was thinking it can be more simple then this. I think I'll go back and just use lawn mowers. Thanks for the tips!!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #597 on: April 25, 2016, 02:19:41 AM
Haaa, got me a nice shave, nice and soft, smooth, and cool.. But, didn't get to slick the top, all of a sudden now that feels totally hot!
JR

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #598 on: April 27, 2016, 05:03:21 PM
Oh dear, oh dear!!! Opposite hand?? I can barely use the non-opposite one?! And here I was thinking it can be more simple then this. I think I'll go back and just use lawn mowers. Thanks for the tips!!!

Try this: get some lather on your face, like you're going to shave. Use the opposite side of the razor (the blunt one) and practice running it over your face. Don't look in the mirror while you do this. It will confuse you (it's an inverted image, after all). Get the feel of the blade.

NEVER move the blade sideways. Make as little pressure as you can. Don't push the blade! If it stops cutting, lift it and reposition it on your face again.

Start by doing just the cheeks and neck (large flat areas). When you feel confident with these, slowly go for the more "complicated" areas: chin, upper lip.

Don't give up, don't try to do it to fast.

You'll get there!

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #599 on: April 27, 2016, 11:36:52 PM
Shaved in the hospital, well more like a trim, freaking hair was bothering me, kept curling into the lips, so I had to break out the sak and do a little trim work..
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%