Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is this a concealed weapon???????

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Is this a concealed weapon???????
on: May 30, 2021, 04:08:55 AM
Found one of these at the local flea market today. I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more knives but I failed the 12 step program. I had one of these awhile ago that was a slightly different model and the handle destroyed itself very quickly. I assume that it was designed as an emergency knife only.
It is manufactured by a company named Iain Sinclair and is known as the Card Sharp 2. To open you turn the small disc with the green edge on it until the green no long shows.This indicates that the blade can now be swung open.Push slightly on the back of the tip to swing the blade free and open it all the way.Now fold the smaller section of the handle so the pins on it are facing outward.Fold the other side and engage the holes in it with the pins to lock the handle. To close reverse the procedure and rotate the disc until the green once again shows.This prevents the blade from opening.
It is designed to be carried in one's wallet or the clear carrying case provided.Strictly for light duty work but still a knife.
So now the question becomes:can this be considered a concealed weapon? Although pretty fragile it could still inflict serious damage if one was of that demeanor. Here are some pictures in various positions.
CardSharpIainSinclairLocked.JPG
* CardSharpIainSinclairLocked.JPG (Filesize: 43.99 KB)
CardSharpIainSinclairUnlocked.JPG
* CardSharpIainSinclairUnlocked.JPG (Filesize: 53.58 KB)
CardSharpIainSinclairOpenForBusiness.JPG
* CardSharpIainSinclairOpenForBusiness.JPG (Filesize: 42.87 KB)
CardSharpIainSinclairBackSide.JPG
* CardSharpIainSinclairBackSide.JPG (Filesize: 45.91 KB)

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: Is this a concealed weapon???????
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 05:33:10 AM
Well, I got yelled at by a grumpy old deputy at the courthouse when one of those, long forgotten, showed up in the X-ray of my wallet when going into the courthouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 05:51:31 AM
In Australia the answer is a definite " YES".  I believe all card knives have been considered to be a concealed weapon, and I guess the decision is effectively in the eyes of the beholder, not the person carrying the object of contention.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 07:27:28 AM
I am not a lawyer, but I believe that in most jurisdictions in the US, it would not be considered a concealed weapon, or at least not more so than any pocket knife.

Some laws prohibit carrying blades that are disguised to look like other objects.  This would include things like sword canes, and knives concealed to look like hairbrushes, lipstick tubes, pens, etc.  While this knife has the credit card form factor, even casual observation reveals it to be a knife and not a credit card.

Some laws actually attempt to apply a standard of intent, i.e. an item becomes a concealed weapon if the person carrying it admits to (or can otherwise be shown to have been) carrying it for that purpose.

It is always wise to check your local laws.  When doing this, it is also important to keep in mind that, in states without knife law preemption, counties, cities, and municipalities may be free to enact their own (stricter) rules.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 03:19:45 PM
I am not a lawyer, but I believe that in most jurisdictions in the US, it would not be considered a concealed weapon, or at least not more so than any pocket knife.

Some laws prohibit carrying blades that are disguised to look like other objects.  This would include things like sword canes, and knives concealed to look like hairbrushes, lipstick tubes, pens, etc.  While this knife has the credit card form factor, even casual observation reveals it to be a knife and not a credit card.

Some laws actually attempt to apply a standard of intent, i.e. an item becomes a concealed weapon if the person carrying it admits to (or can otherwise be shown to have been) carrying it for that purpose.

It is always wise to check your local laws.  When doing this, it is also important to keep in mind that, in states without knife law preemption, counties, cities, and municipalities may be free to enact their own (stricter) rules.

I agree that it's going to be quite specific to the jurisdiction within the US.

I always have to pay attention to the rules of municipalities as I go through several different ones regularly, and they have different rules.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 08:24:47 PM
That reminds me of the Blackie Collins designed Touche' belt buckle knife made by Gerber.

I've bought many over the years and have given several as gifts.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 08:44:55 PM
The question about legality is a state and local jurisdiction issue.

I've carried these on many outings over the last 30 years.

gerber-touche-1.JPG
* gerber-touche-1.JPG (Filesize: 166.84 KB)
gerber-touche2-1.JPG
* gerber-touche2-1.JPG (Filesize: 156.96 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%