Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A quick comparison - Buck 301 vs 371

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
A quick comparison - Buck 301 vs 371
on: June 10, 2012, 11:01:50 PM
As you've probably figured out by now, I like traditional slipjoints as EDC knives.  I regularly carry knives by Case, Boker, Buck, Rough Rider, etc.  For the longest time, my only Buck slippie was the Model 371, which is the Chinese-manufactured version of the classic 301 Stockman.  I recently got a 301, and decided to compare the two.

Here they are, the 371 at left, the 301 at right.  The most obvious difference is that the 371 has brown hardwood handles, while the 301 has black Derlin.  Both knives are the same size and weight.

The second main difference is that the 371 has brass liners, while the 301 has stainless steel ones.  Both of these knives have 420HC stainless blades, though newer 371s have different steel.

Blade shapes of the clip and sheepsfoot are identical between the two.  The nail nicks on the 371 are larger and deeper than the 301, on all three blades.

The spey blades, however, are quite different.  The 301 has a traditional shape to it, while the 371 has more of a pen blade style.

In terms of fit and finish, both of these are excellent.  The 301 has one tiny gap on the back, while the 371 is just about perfect!  The walk and talk of both are great, with the 301 having a slightly smoother feel to it.  Both make great EDC knives, and I basically carry them interchangeably.  The 371, though, has one thing going for it - you can pick one up at Walmart for $20!  For a blade of this high quality, that's insanely cheap.  The 301 will set you back around $35.  Either way though, it's hard to go wrong with these fine knives!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

de Offline Jmora

Re: A quick comparison - Buck 301 vs 371
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 03:43:17 PM
cool knives.
I'm confused about where the buck knives are made nowadays, how much of production is outsourced to China?

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:15:47 PM
IIRC, most of their knives have returned to the US; the percentage of their Chinese-made options are becoming less and less which each year.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:41:42 PM
Buck has nice knives, and coming back to US with production is great news!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:16:45 AM
There are a couple of Buck patterns that I have that are made in China that I would love to see made in the US, especially the 372 Muskrat.  This is a China-only model, and one of my favorite EDC slipjoints.

I'm pretty sure the Canoe and Mini Trapper are only made in China at the moment as well.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Offline jwh

Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 12:37:43 AM
Buck is known for it's quality heat treat of the steel. Are the chinese made knives using USA blades or something from overseas? If the latter I wonder how the heat treat compares to the local knives?

jwh

us Offline Pacu

Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 12:43:31 AM
great bang for the Buck.

:facepalm:

:D
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 12:47:22 AM
Buck is known for it's quality heat treat of the steel. Are the chinese made knives using USA blades or something from overseas? If the latter I wonder how the heat treat compares to the local knives?

jwh

As far as I know, the blades are made in China.  IMO, the heat treatment is good.  All of my Chinese Bucks take and keep a great edge.  I've heard but can't be entirely sure that the factory that makes these Bucks is the same factory that makes Rough Rider knives.  I've got some RRs and for the money they're great!

great bang for the Buck.

:facepalm: is right.  :D

us Offline Pacu

Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 12:56:17 AM
love the David Putty avatar btw..makes me want some Arbys
:like:    :MTO:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30