Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Neck knife

us Offline Frankctz

Neck knife
on: June 07, 2012, 04:57:02 PM
Hello,

I want to buy a neck knife, for know I have those 2 options,
But before decide which one I would like to hear your opinion for those neck knives and if there is more options that I should consider, it should be small size, around 4" or less, basically similar to those two..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Neck-Knife-160SSS-160-Hartsook-Smidgen-Ultralite-NEW-/310406084992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4845a4f980

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRKT-Ritter-RSK-Mk5-Survival-Lightweight-Neck-Knife-Brand-NEW-2380-/170840496677?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item27c6e31a25

Thanks

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Re: Neck knife
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:06:18 PM
Personally, I lean toward the CRKT knife.  Even though the Buck says its made in the USA, I think Bucks overall quality of product has gone done a bit since they started manufacturing some of their lines in China.  Just my opinion on Buck...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :think:
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 05:06:37 PM
I have a Buck Hartsook (somewhere  :-[ ), and really like it as a minimalist light duty knife. Easilly pinned inside a jacket or shirt on a split ring if you don't want it round your neck. Not tried the Ritter one, but I'm happy enough with the Hartsook to not get one  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline jwh

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 05:12:31 PM
I have a Buck Hartsook and it's a nice little blade. I no longer use it as a neck knife but I added it to my "city" EDC kit. You may want to look at the Morris knives for something in the same size range. The Becker Remora and BK 14  are nice. I have a Tops Covert Solution and a ALRT that I wear often.

jwh

bg Offline fenofedd

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 07:28:32 PM
A friend of mine makes some very pretty neck knives, unfortunately they don't seem to be for sale.
http://www.nikolakovachev.com/p/knives.html
DM HG

Offline jwh

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 08:52:48 PM
An FYI. Your link is not to a Hartsook, it's the Smidgen which is 420 HC. For a couple dollars more you can get the Hartsook in S30V. I'm sure you were aware of this but just pointing it out as the e-bay ad is a touch misleading.

jwh

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:25:54 PM
The buck is tiny, almost feels like holding a toothpick in your hand. I have the pocket bowie from Boker and it feels at least like a real knife, and there's the grasshopper and microcom if you want a smaller knife.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:28:00 PM by jzmtl »

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:14 PM
Many posts and yet no one has asked what do you want the knife for, what duties will it be required to perform?

If you are after a nice little cutter look around and see if you can find a Kiridashi style knife with a neck lanyard holder.

I don't know if you have heard of Michael Morris? He's a US knife maker, he has a few knives that can be used as neck knives. He's a link to his current models. I have one on order.

http://www.michaelmorrisknives.com/current.php

Tell him Essexman sent you!

us Offline Frankctz

Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 12:00:31 AM
Many posts and yet no one has asked what do you want the knife for, what duties will it be required to perform?

If you are after a nice little cutter look around and see if you can find a Kiridashi style knife with a neck lanyard holder.

I don't know if you have heard of Michael Morris? He's a US knife maker, he has a few knives that can be used as neck knives. He's a link to his current models. I have one on order.

Thanks, but basically is for ligth works, I look Michael Morris knives and looks very good but its kind of expensive for what I planned to expense in the neck knife, Kiridashi knives also could be a good idea but I need to find one at good price, I saw some but price strat around 60 usd or more...

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 03:10:17 AM

Thanks, but basically is for ligth works, I look Michael Morris knives and looks very good but its kind of expensive for what I planned to expense in the neck knife, Kiridashi knives also could be a good idea but I need to find one at good price, I saw some but price strat around 60 usd or more...

If you like the Smidgen, look for the Hartsook - it's black oxide coated and doesn't cost much more, but the steel is much better (S30V vs. 420HC).

I quite like the Hartsook design, personally - I have a custom and use it on a regular basis.

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 04:58:04 AM
No fans of AG Russell woodswalker?  Small blade, good handle, kydex sheath if you want.  Maybe thats thicker than what you want. 

Sent from my MB860
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 08:55:53 AM

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 11:22:33 PM
Amici,
For a Buck necker, I'd go with PakLite Model 140 or 143. These are skeletonized in construction but made from Bucks famous 420HC Stainless Steel. They keep an edge, and are quick to resharpen also with a few swipes from a ceramic rod. The sheath is garbage, so I spent a few lira and had a nice kydex one made up in a necker configuration along with a 3.2 mm back coated SS ball chain.

If Buck's not your fancy, then check out a CRKT Folts Minimalist, in either a Warncliff, bowie, or tanto blade style. These are Chicom made but high quality.

Cheers,
Serge 
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 11:58:36 PM
Amici,
For a Buck necker, I'd go with PakLite Model 140 or 143. These are skeletonized in construction but made from Bucks famous 420HC Stainless Steel. They keep an edge, and are quick to resharpen also with a few swipes from a ceramic rod. The sheath is garbage, so I spent a few lira and had a nice kydex one made up in a necker configuration along with a 3.2 mm back coated SS ball chain.

If Buck's not your fancy, then check out a CRKT Folts Minimalist, in either a Warncliff, bowie, or tanto blade style. These are Chicom made but high quality.

Cheers,
Serge 

Good call serge, I have the Wharncliffe and it's another great little knife

Found my Hartsook today too with a load of other AWOL stuff :D :D Very happy :nanadance:

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 05:19:05 PM
I wear my Buck Hartsook every day.  For me its the perfect neck knife. Small flat, and light.  Disappears under almost any shirt.  Well worth the $. 

us Offline Frankctz

Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 12:05:42 AM
I wear my Buck Hartsook every day.  For me its the perfect neck knife. Small flat, and light.  Disappears under almost any shirt.  Well worth the $. 

Thanks for all your comments,
I just buy the Buck neck knife, reason is basically because is small, light as "Inzelique" metion,
Probably I will try other from all the suggestion I receive in this post, but at first I will try the Buck.
Thanks again..

Offline jwh

Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 12:29:59 AM
Nice choice. I really like my Hartsook.

jwh

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 09:04:39 AM
Let us know how you find it, it's always good to hear about other small knives.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 09:39:57 AM

Thanks for all your comments,
I just buy the Buck neck knife, reason is basically because is small, light as "Inzelique" metion,
Probably I will try other from all the suggestion I receive in this post, but at first I will try the Buck.
Thanks again..

So picking up on the earlier confusion are you going for the Smidgeon (shiny 420HC steel) or Hartsook (Black Oxide S30V steel)?

us Offline Frankctz

Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 03:01:51 PM
Base on the advice I receive...I buy the Hartsook (balck oxide S30V steel).....

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 03:09:43 PM
 :salute: I think you're going to like it  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD