Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My latest knives

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
My latest knives
on: December 28, 2007, 12:48:33 AM
Not counting the new SAKs and stuff, here's the latest additions to the collection.

The Benchmade Pika is just on loan at the moment, but I kind of like it and may decide to keep it.  The Opinel No 5 is from our own Micky D- he knew I wanted to get another one "someday" and thanks to him, the future is now!

Def

* BM01.JPG (Filesize: 26.55 KB)

* BM02.JPG (Filesize: 28.07 KB)

* Opinel01.JPG (Filesize: 8.42 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline yellowhammer

Re: My latest knives
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 12:53:10 AM
The Pika has a lovely blade shape :) I've not really paid any attention to Benchmade, although they seem very well regarded. Might have to try one. More expense! ::)

I'll get a photo of my mildly breathed-on Opinel tomorrow. Cracking knives! :D
C

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 01:19:40 AM
I've recently bought a couple of Red Class Benchmades after collecting and using only Blue Class. 

They're not bad.  I've got the Vex and the Mini-Ambush. 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 02:45:37 AM
Until last week I hadn't bought a Benchmade since long before the various color classes were thought up.  In fact, I don't think BM was even making fixed blades yet at that point!  I remember they were working on what would eventually become the Nimravus and had a "Name the new knife contest."

This one seems like the latest variation of the Ascent/Eclipse models I was fond of a bazillion years ago.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 04:00:16 AM
I liked the full-size Pika. I did a review of one a few years ago before giving it away.

BM10400
(Image removed from quote.)
From benchmade's red class I am very suprised by how good this knife is. I ordered it as a throw-away sort of knife to lend out at work and abuse as I saw fit and it has suprised my by holding up very well.

First Impressions:
-Same as the mini-grip, the oval hole needed zip ties to work for me.
-Opening this knife creates the most euphonious sound, a very loud and solid *CLICK*
-Even though the knife has no liners the zytel(IIRC) handles feel very solid and have little flex to them.
-The factory grind was uneven on the left side but the knife came sharp enough to shave and the 440C took a very good 20 degree edge on the lansky after about an hour of re-profiling.
-Love the low profile/deep carry pocket clip. I carry this knife on campus clipped to my pocket because so little is exposed that I don't draw any attention.
(Image removed from quote.)
-Ergos on the knife are good but it's a little to thin to be perfect for me, the pebble texture doesn't really seem to help or hinder my grip. in the future I may just sand it down and stick some skateboard tape on there instead.
-The lock feels very solid and seems to take enough force to disengage that i can't see it accidentally disengaging at all.

Actual Use:
-Hard to use with wet hands. I had to grip it so hard that my hand would cramp up after a few cuts.
-Cuts very well and held an edge for a lot longer than a 20$ knife should. after reprofiling to 20 degrees the edge still shaves after almost 2 weeks of constant use. Resharpening is easy, the burr jumps out after a few strokes and is easy to knock off.
-One handed closing is too risky without a Boye Dent. I wasn't paying attention and pushed to hard with my index finger while closing one handed and gave myself a pretty nasty slice on my middle finger. tightening the pivot could help this but I don't really need it.
-This knife is strong. My workers used it for things no knife should ever see; screwdriver, chisel, prybar, hammer, etc. and it's still working great. They did manage to knock a big chunk out of the top of the handle when it fell onto a concrete floor from two stories up and broke a little piece of the tip off but it's still sharp and works great.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:45:32 AM
very nice blades! I have always liked BM and will be getting (hopefully) a Rukus some time in the next year
but for now I have the 710 in D2 and the Griptilian;

* best2 smb.jpg (Filesize: 34.19 KB)

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 01:23:19 PM
Here's my gently modded Opinel No.8. The point has been dropped, the (olivewood) handle reshaped and a bit of filework applied to the spine. I did none of the work, as I'm a cack-handed oaf;

I think it really transforms the knife without going too lairy. Just wish it was carbon rather than stainless. I'm never happy :P

C

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 05:00:33 PM
I've recently bought a couple of Red Class Benchmades after collecting and using only Blue Class. 

They're not bad.  I've got the Vex and the Mini-Ambush. 

Before I saw "The Light" and became an "SAKaholic" and started down the path of cutlery enlightment I carried the full size Ambush for quite awhile.I have used it hard and never had a problem with it.I got it on sale at Gander Mountain.It was well worth the 40 dollars I paid for it.It was a great all around knife,to me at least.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44