Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Solstice

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Gerber Solstice
on: December 28, 2007, 02:07:30 AM
I will be reviewing a Gerber Solstice for a little while. I recently ordered 3 of them. I have had them a couple of days and thought I'd post my thoughts on it. I will be posting later as I use the tool more.

The fit and finish seem good. I haven't used it much but so far the scissors seem ok. Although 1 pair seemed to have a spot where they looked like they'd been used before. Strange since I opened all 3 out of the clampack. Maybe I did it and didn't know.

I have not used the screwdrivers yet nor the bottle opener but I did use the can opener tonight on a fairly good sized can. It cut good and was comfortable although a little slow.

I will say that this tool is NOT for the "fumble fingered" person like myself. Closing the scissors is a little tricky but then again, I am one of those "fumble fingered" people.

More later...
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Gerber Solstice
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:39:56 AM
I can't wait to see what you think of the Solstice.  It's a great minimalist tool in my eyes, but yeah, those scissors can be a bit of a challenge!

Here's my review of it:

Gerber Solstice

I bought a few of them too but they seemed to get "distributed" pretty quickly on their own!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 03:59:38 AM
1 thing I had problems with is putting it on a keychain. I think the main problem is the spring is just a little too strong. So far I must admit I'm a little underwhelmed by it. As you mentioned in your review it tends to want to jump out of your hand. I'm always afraid I am going to cut the tips of my fingers off with it. Maybe someone who has better dexterity in their fingers would like it but I am not liking it so far. The best scissors I have ever used on a mini-tool is the Schrade Tough Chip. Those scissors are great. Although I have an older pair when they were still a quality company, I haven't tried a pair since their buyout. I haven't heard good things about any of their products lately. 
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 05:28:50 AM
......I haven't heard good things about any of their products lately. 

Make sure you only buy Schrades that say "USA" on them!

As regards the Solstice, do you have any pictures to post of the tool in action?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 07:54:43 PM
do you have any pictures to post of the tool in action?
No. 

*DTH breaks out his best Homer Simpson voice*

I seem to have misplaced my camera.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 06:14:23 AM
do you have any pictures to post of the tool in action?
No. 

*DTH breaks out his best Homer Simpson voice*

I seem to have misplaced my camera.

Here it is, I found it..... :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 01:40:03 PM
I'll be interested to see what you think about the solstice.  I have one and Ithink the scissors are great, but I am not too convinced about the way it folds and attaches to a keyring though.  :-\
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 04:57:18 PM
I'll be interested to see what you think about the solstice.  I have one and Ithink the scissors are great, but I am not too convinced about the way it folds and attaches to a keyring though.  :-\
That's pretty much the way I feel about it. I haven't tried the screwdrivers yet but the can opener and bottle opener are ok. Not great but better than I've seen on a lot of multi-tools. The scissors work great but you're right, closing them and trying to get them on your keyring is an exercise in patience.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 11:16:34 PM
I'd be worried about losing it as well.  I know you can attach a lanyard to it but I think as a keychain tool this shouldn't be necessary.

Does anyone actually edc a solstice?
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 11:33:07 PM
I bought 3 of them. I'm going to give 2 of them to a couple boys at church. I help my wife teach a Sunday school class for youth(ages 12-18) and two of the boys have been extremely helpful the last year. They're 12 and 14 so they have young nimble fingers so I'm hoping they won't have the problems my worn out arthritic fingers have. I will inform them that I want to hear how they like the tools as I'm going to be reviewing it on an internet forum. So hopefully we'll get at least 2 more opinions of it. Unless they lose them, or get them taken away at school because they're ALMOST as deadly as an M2 50 cal. MG  ::)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 10:55:36 PM
Well I finally did it. I managed to cut myself with it. Luckily I was expecting it so I dropped them before I managed to get too deep into my skin. I gave it away to the 13 y/o girl who sometimes helps babysits my son. She said "That's kinda neat" and I said, "It's yours!!".

So my final review on this basically the same as I've said before. Unless your fingers are very nimble and coordinated stay away from this tool. Folding them up and putting them on a keyring is an invitation to cutting the tips of your finger. I am not an engineer but IMHO this tool's major problem could have been avoided by using a little bit of a lower strength spring. I do not know how that would affect the cutting performance though.

On a scale from 1-5, I'll give it a 2.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 12:38:50 AM

Seems a fair score IMO.
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 12:44:06 AM

Seems a fair score IMO.

It's a quality well built tool, and my rating is, of course, MY rating. I do have stiff fingers with a touch of arthritis. A person with better hands would probably score it higher.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 04:22:59 PM
Sounds like the biggest problem with this tool is the folding/unfolding of it then. :-\

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 06:52:14 PM
Sounds like the biggest problem with this tool is the folding/unfolding of it then. :-\

That and it's attachment to a keyring yes.  Which is a bit of a problem on a keyring tool.  :-\
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD