Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Diesel: Intial Imprestions

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Gerber Diesel: Intial Imprestions
on: December 27, 2007, 04:04:56 PM
Ok here's my intial imprestions of the Gerber Diesel :)

Well to start off with let say how impressed with the service I got from Dennis at... http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Diesel-Multi-Plier-1470.htm , fast service and VERY good prices, especially compared to the UK :)

First of all I was a little suprised at how big the Diesel is, it's not heavy or particularly bulky, but for some reason I'd assumed it would be a little smaller ???, but thats no problem to me as I don't much like piddly little tools, this things big, chunky and robust, just how I like em (tools that is :D) As for the quality if pretty damn good :), might not be in Victorinox's league (who is!) but it is also a lot cheaper, I can easily see this tool still being a hard working friend for years to come :)

So what about the tools I hear you ask, well lets start with the screwdrivers, there's the usual complement of flat and philips screwdrives, there all good usable tools, if lacking a bit of reach, but for those of you requiring more reach , or needing a greater number of drivers there is an aditional bit kit which will also increase the tools reach...  http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-plier-tool-kit-22-49445.htm  :)

The pliers take a bit of getting used too, it took me a couple of goes till I got the correct technique to flicking the pliers out, but with a bit of practice, it's VERY fast :), there are a couple of rattles (but not to an annoying degree) but thats the trade off for having the fastest deploying pliers in town :), once the pliers are out and in use, it feels reasuringly solid, and I'm certain it can hold it's own with any comparable multitool :)

All the tools lock and the lock engages smoothly, the buttons on the plier head release are a bit on the small side, but thats me knick picking ::) some of the smaller tools were, at least at first quite tight, but I expect that to improve with milage :)

As for the other tools, well the saw was effective on the 2inch tree limbs I tried them on, and didn't bind at all, I'll be testing it in a more bushcrafty enviroment during the main review later :)

The scissors are as you'd expect pretty bloody good!, I'd even go as far as to say as there the best multitool type scissors I've used to date (other models used, new lm wave, wenger type scissors, various sogs, swisstool x, spirit s and 91mm Vics) , very very sharp and a wonderfully clean cut too :)

The file is a nice compromise, not as aggresive as the spirit or charge, or as soft as some of the sogs I've tested  :)

Now the best to last, the blade, now as some of you may know I hate serrations and especialy half serrated blades, but the ones on the Diesel aren't too bad, there quite shallow, so they still cut rather than rip and shred :), but on the big plus side, it has a Warnie blade :D, surely this is the ultimate blade style on a multi where tip strength isn't the driving concern, and utter precision is :), it does have an oddly albeit very slight hawksbill to it, the purpose of which is lost on me, but it sure can cut, beautiful clean cut's evertime, Gerber lose the silly serrations and you've got a winner of a blade here!

So overall, if you've got a requirement for a hard working workman like tool with a lot innovative features, get yourself a Diesel
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 11:43:51 AM by micky d »
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Gerber Diesel: Intial Imprestions
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 04:22:00 PM
I can see I am going to have to get me one of these and soon too!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 04:23:08 PM
I can see I am going to have to get me one of these and soon too!

Def
It really is a good little tool mate :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 04:31:52 PM
It's very high up on my list of tools that we already have reviews of... but I need to concentrate on tools we don't have reviews of, so it may be a while.  Too bad too- I really like the looks of it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 05:36:54 AM
Nice write-up there sir!

As a big fan of the Wharnecliffe style blade, I'm in complete agreement with you. Curious though that yours says China on the box? Mine says "Made in USA of USA and imported components"  :think:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:00:48 AM
Nice write-up there sir! (Image removed from quote.)

As a big fan of the Wharnecliffe style blade, I'm in complete agreement with you. Curious though that yours says China on the box? Mine says "Made in USA of USA and imported components"  :think:

Maybe it's coz mine's newer perhaps ???

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 09:57:06 AM
I've been wanting a Diesel since handling one in a store. To me it's a "fun" MT the way it flick/pops out.
Very nice review M now I want it more! thx 4 the :drool:

question: you say it's "a lot cheaper" than Victorinox but in my searches it's about the same,
depending on sales/deals (which is how I buy). At least here in the states.

Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 11:43:00 AM

Just checked the box Bob and you were right :-[

I've ammended the review, feel free to heckle, boo, and throw fruit at me :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 06:42:56 AM

Just checked the box Bob and you were right :-[

I've ammended the review, feel free to heckle, boo, and throw fruit at me :D

We'll let it go this one time only... ;)

So whats your opinion of those pliers then? I like the way they mate together right out at the tips. Great for fine detail work. You can pick slivers out with those things. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 10:05:33 AM
I really like the plier's, the way they come together right to the tips is very useful, they'd be great for anyone who's vehicle has questionable electrics :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD