Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scissors Based Mini-tool Suggestions

us Offline darth_guy101

Scissors Based Mini-tool Suggestions
on: October 17, 2011, 01:44:00 AM
I am in the market to buy a new scissors based minitool (SBMT for short) to compliment my Leatherman Supertool 300. I will be putting together an EDC capable toolkit in an organizer pouch from Maxpedition and stowing it in my backpack. At first I was gonna go with a Micra, but I want to see what else is out there. I may even buy a pair of folding scissors from a local sewing store.

Here is what I have found:
-Leatherman Micra
-Leatherman Style CS
-Gerber Splice
-SOG Crosscut

Does anyone have any experience with the bottom three? (enough has been said about the Micra) Does anyone have any other suggestions? Remember that I will mainly be using the scissors to complement my ST300. Thanks!
Took the red pill...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Scissors Based Mini-tool Suggestions
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:02:17 AM
I have experience with all of them, and I would say that you can't go wrong with any of them.  That having been said however, I would suggest the Micra or Style CS out of the bunch.  They are by far the best scissors, and since that's what you are primarily getting them for, that seems like a no-brainer.

If you'd said the Shortcut or new Mini Suspension with the scissors I would rank Gerber higher, but I really don't think too highly of the Splice.  It's too fancy with the handle cutouts and the sharp corners are somewhat uncomfortable.

The CrossCut is a neat tool in that it uses SOG's Compound Leverage to provide more power to the blades.  This is handy when cutting something that doesn't want to be cut, but if you find yourself cutting cloth or paper or anything else longer than the blades, then the gears and bulky handles tend to get in the way.  I don't feel the tradeoff is worth it for the odd time you may want to cut something thicker, especially when you have a full sized wire cutter handy on the ST300.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline darth_guy101

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:31:36 AM
I didn't even know the Shortcut existed, But I will lump it in with the group as well. Please submit any SBMT that isn't on the list for my researching pleasure...
Took the red pill...

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 02:38:19 AM
well there's the Leatherman Squirt S4 too but I agree with Def. Micra has the best scissors,

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 02:50:56 AM
Owned a Micra for a while and you cant go wrong with those scissors! Just picked up a Style CS today, and I am loving that too. I would have to make the Style CS my suggestion if I had to pick one of those two.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 03:06:25 AM
I didn't even know the Shortcut existed, But I will lump it in with the group as well. Please submit any SBMT that isn't on the list for my researching pleasure...

There are many others, but I think you already have the top ones on your list.  Quite honestly, I would suggest that you stick with the micra or the Style CS.  The Squirt series is nice, but just not on par with the Micra, and the Style CS is about the only decent contender.  Given the choice of the two I'd take the Micra, but the Style CS is a close second.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 07:29:07 AM
Gerber Solstice - some like it, some don't. Discontinued but can still be found

I also wouldn't rule out a SAK for that role. A Victorinox Compact gives a lot of options in a small package and Vic Scisors are fantastic

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 03:53:29 PM
For pure scissor (plus a couple extras), I would have to recommend either the Micra or Squirt S4; the Compact would definitely be handy, but it's a personal decision at that point. :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 07:07:07 PM
My thoughts on the Style CS are well documented here:
http://www.multitool.org/Leatherman-Tool-Group/Keychain-Tools/2011/02/06/style-cs.html

In short though, while I do still like the CS, I'd recommend a Micra first. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 08:42:37 PM
I agree with the micra, good solid little tool :tu:...and i'm saying that after I just bought a cross cut, I like it but just not as good as the micra.
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 11:10:12 PM
I know it's plierbased, but the scissors on the Style PS is better than the Micra imo.  :)

us Offline darth_guy101

Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 04:55:21 AM
I have done some research based on some suggestions for a SAK. These suggestions came from this forum as well as two others (Zombie Squad forum and EDC forum). The SAK I have have been looking at is the Victorinox compact, the size is right, it has a decent array of tools, the pen is a big plus as well as the micro screwdriver. It seems to fill in all the areas the ST300 falls short. I may just go with the Vic Compact.
Took the red pill...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 09:24:08 AM
the compact is a top-notch SAK, I don't think you'd be unhappy with one. :tu:

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 12:46:41 PM
the compact is a top-notch SAK, I don't think you'd be unhappy with one. :tu:

+1 on this
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 06:39:17 PM
I know it's plierbased, but the scissors on the Style PS is better than the Micra imo.  :)

I'm very curious, what do you like better about them?

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 09:27:19 PM

I'm very curious, what do you like better about them?
I mainly carry scissors for trimming nails and small cutting tasks and I think the PS scissors are more handy/maneuverable than the Micra.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 11:10:46 PM
I mainly carry scissors for trimming nails and small cutting tasks and I think the PS scissors are more handy/maneuverable than the Micra.

Interesting, I've been examining my scissors use over the last couple of weeks and have come to a similar conclusion and recently swapped the Micra on my keychain for my well worn PS4 and have also decided to try a PS as well.

us Offline darth_guy101

Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 05:24:00 PM
After some thought, I have officially decided to get myself a Victorinox Compact. It has everything the ST 300 doesn't, specifically: scissors, tweezers, toothpick, pen, nail file & corkscrew.
Took the red pill...

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 10:31:36 PM
 :whistle:

What's the latest?
Micra? Splice? Style CS

I like the Style CS except it's too obtrusive to call itself minimalist. At that size, it needs a decent screwdriver or something extra.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 10:19:19 AM
Necro-thread!  :ahhh

:D

I agree on the Style CS; just a little too big for a pair of scissors and not much else. 

By far and away the one I carry the most is a 58mm SAK.  Normally a Rambler. 

us Offline Sos24

Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 03:10:08 PM
:whistle:

What's the latest?
Micra? Splice? Style CS

I like the Style CS except it's too obtrusive to call itself minimalist. At that size, it needs a decent screwdriver or something extra.

For a small scissor compliment to a larger multitool, my choice would be the Style PS, followed by a 58mm SAK.  What I like about the Style PS that puts it above the others is that it is bladeless.  If you already have a blade on another tool and primarily want the scissors, then the Style PS provides a good pair of scissors in a small package as well a carry option in prohibited environment if that might be something useful.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 04:12:17 PM
I have a Leatherman Style PS that I occasionally carry but the spring in the scissors awlready broke twice!

:twak: :twak:

I'm not the only one with this issue. I can still use the scissors, not as conviniently as when the spring worked, though. Since I awlso have the Midnite Manager or Executive as my base EDC, the Style is more used for its pliers.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline irongnome

Reply #22 on: August 04, 2020, 12:14:32 AM
There is also the Nextorch mini.
Just came out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0826H511B

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: August 04, 2020, 12:23:54 AM
I have a Leatherman Style PS that I occasionally carry but the spring in the scissors awlready broke twice!

:twak: :twak:

I'm not the only one with this issue. I can still use the scissors, not as conviniently as when the spring worked, though. Since I awlso have the Midnite Manager or Executive as my base EDC, the Style is more used for its pliers.

Sadly I had the same issue with the scissors on my PS.  It now has a blade instead.  :-\

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 04, 2020, 01:06:17 AM
There is also the Nextorch mini.
Just came out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0826H511B

that's a pretty big fella, isn't it?  Cook concept if you want bigger scissors along with the rest . 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 04, 2020, 01:25:17 AM
Good to know about the questionable durability on the Style,

I'm put the Micra back on the keychain - it's just a little easier to use at work than the Pioneer X.  Then, of course, the bug bit me and I thought about getting something new. 

I'm pretty satisfied with the Micra - except for the one thing which is both a personal preference I had and a drawback - having to open the tool to get at the knife.  On the one hand, it makes the whole tool look sleeker to me... and on the other hand, it's an extra step.  So then I get to thinking... what's new in the mini-tool world.   :woohoo:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #26 on: August 04, 2020, 06:59:02 AM
Good to know about the questionable durability on the Style,

I'm put the Micra back on the keychain - it's just a little easier to use at work than the Pioneer X.  Then, of course, the bug bit me and I thought about getting something new. 

I'm pretty satisfied with the Micra - except for the one thing which is both a personal preference I had and a drawback - having to open the tool to get at the knife.  On the one hand, it makes the whole tool look sleeker to me... and on the other hand, it's an extra step.  So then I get to thinking... what's new in the mini-tool world.   :woohoo:
I haven’t tried them but you do also have the Spyderco Clipit Scissors. 

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #27 on: August 04, 2020, 11:13:33 PM
I like the LM Style CS, or the LM Micra.  Nice large scissors blades if you really want a bit of beef in there, but folds down small and is really keychain size.  But you lose the pliers option.  A close 2nd would be a SAK, like a Pioneer X, a bigger unit to carry but  those scissors are really good and not as tiddly as the Squirt.  Gave my wife a Micra, and she uses it all the time.  I used to carry a Style CS in the office or a modded SAK Explorer (no large blade), but now use a Pioneer X at home during lockdown (no one to complain about the blade at home...).  Strictly, I think the LM Micra is an illegal carry in the UK, since the knife blade does not fold back in place in one movement when the knife is employed and the two side of the main body are brought back together to close the body of the unit... ???  LM Style is easy to mod since it has screws, and you can take out the knife blade and replace it with a flat or phillips driver from the LM Juice.  And LM Juice has good scissors too.   Choices, choices, choices .... only solutionis to try them all.   :cheers:

PS: I don't like the SOG cross cut as much as the Style CS or SAK or Juice.  I found the tip of blades on the crosscut scissors do not meet.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #29 on: August 05, 2020, 06:47:30 PM
For me, its Victorinox or nothing.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:17:23 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

Donations