Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Binoculars

665ae · 15 · 2881

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Binoculars
on: December 30, 2007, 06:13:02 AM
Anybody here into Optics?

I'm looking for a decent set of binoculars for under $100 (the farther under $100 the better :D)  I'm going on a cruise in June (Alaska) and would like to look at the shore as we sail by.  The problem is, I have no clue when it comes to binoculars, except what the numbers mean. (like 10x42)

Are there any brands to look for?  Any brands to avoid?  Anyone have any recommendations as to what "size" I should get?  (12x50, 10x42, etc...) 

I need help!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Binoculars
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 06:28:45 AM
B

Offline kreskin13

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:18:04 AM
These are the only ones to buy! :D  Let me know when you get a pair, I'd like to try them out and I bet Def would look really cool with them in his kayak!

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/

Calvin
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 03:51:27 PM
Hey!  I haven't managed to turn my kayak into a U Boat...  yet....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 04:06:00 PM
I don't know a lot about binocs but I just picked up one of these monoculars. Great for EDC, works well and is cheap!

https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=170&mmsid=5e73c36f7d049056bd23aaa93275fe3c

Calvin
[

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 04:38:03 PM
Bins are a subject close to my heart, though I warn you now I am an optics snob ;) I don't know of any brands for that sort of money to recommend, but if they're in your budget look at the Bushnell porro prism range, such as the Natureview - they're about £120 here.

Depends what you're going to do with them, but for general use/looking at birdies don't go too high in magnification. 7- or 8x is plenty. Any higher and it just gets more like hard work. 10x is really the max you should go for. For a given objective lens size, lower magnifications are brighter and more usable in low light. The 'exit pupil' is an indication of this - divide the big number by the small one, and the higher the result the brighter the image. E.g. 8x40 = 5, 10x40 = 4, the 8x40s are brighter. This obviously doesn't take into account the lens quality or coatings, etc.

Best all-round sizes are 8x32, 8x40 or 8x42, 7x40. For the objective size don't bother going smaller than 30 or bigger than 50.

Couple of other things; if you wear glasses you may find that twist-up eyepieces are more comfortable than fold-down rubber ones, If you want to look at insects or anything close up pay attention to the close-focus distance - the number quoted in the bumf is a lie ;). Always, always try before you buy 'cos some just will not work for you at all. And finally, don't be tempted to try a set of Leicas/Swarovskis/Zeiss "just to see" - that way lies only madness, poverty and death. Ask me how I know this :D

Hope this helps :)
C

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 12:09:23 AM
I don't know a lot about binocs but I just picked up one of these monoculars. Great for EDC, works well and is cheap!

https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=170&mmsid=5e73c36f7d049056bd23aaa93275fe3c

Calvin

Haha... I already have one of those Brunton Monoculars and I EDC it :)  They are very cool.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 02:55:29 AM
Dang yellowhammer, I'm not in the market for binocs but all that great info you gave out makes me want to get a pair!

What do you think about the ones these guys sell?

Calvin
[

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 08:55:42 AM
I got some No-brand (I'm sure they have a brand, but I no longer have the packaging, and it is not written on the Binocs themselves) Black Rubbercovered (but Non-Waterproof) 7x50s.

Everything about them is sort of wobbly and of unbrilliant "fit and finish", but they seem to work fine enough (For now)

They were asking $99.99, but I haggled for $75

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 09:12:05 AM
I got some No-brand (I'm sure they have a brand, but I no longer have the packaging, and it is not written on the Binocs themselves) Black Rubbercovered (but Non-Waterproof) 7x50s.

Everything about them is sort of wobbly and of unbrilliant "fit and finish", but they seem to work fine enough (For now)

They were asking $99.99, but I haggled for $75
Good man, haggling's a bit of a lost art these days ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 09:56:42 AM
Dang yellowhammer, I'm not in the market for binocs but all that great info you gave out makes me want to get a pair!

What do you think about the ones these guys sell?

Calvin

Minox are superb for the money - IIRC they use the same glass as Leica but are a third of the price ;) Gotta love those U-boat 8x60s though :) Get a pipe, a duffel coat and a woollen cap and pretend you're John Mills on the bridge of your destroyer; "For the love of Mike, I know you're out there Jerry...) :D
C

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 09:57:07 AM
Good man, haggling's a bit of a lost art these days

A victim of chain stores and employing underage Casuals who have not the wit nor experience to be given authority to price change - The few independent stores where the man who sells you something is the same man who owns the place (or his son, trusted friend, etc) are a haven for

A. Actually enjoying shopping and
B. Thrift*.

*Though whatever you save against their marked price is often offset by their marked price being higher as they have not the buying power of an international chain who often save via bulk, or by directly importing goods themselves.
(They also tend to have better product knowledge, and a higher standard of customer service. I'm all for raising employment, but Retail seems to be the unfortunate end for the gormless masses unable to work a Trade, and they treat their work with the same respect their faceless corporate employers treat them)
When was the last time someone at "Wally World" remembered your name or asked how you were enjoying the last set of china cups or DVD player you bought?

Offline kreskin13

Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 10:37:06 AM

Calvin

Haha... I already have one of those Brunton Monoculars and I EDC it :)  They are very cool.

Oh yeah. how about these

http://www.countycomm.com/optics.htm

I just picked up one of these and although not as good as the Bruntons, for 10 bucks they're not bad.

For anyone into EDC stuff (most/all of us) you gotta check out countycomm.com

Calvin
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 12:44:07 PM
My Grandad have me some binoculars a few years ago but I don't think I ever used them.  I think they are Miranda's and if I remember correctly are 10X50.  They came in a hard case which knowing my Grandad probably cost more than the binoculars themselves. :D
I'm back!!

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 04:48:09 PM
My wife bought me a set of bushnell 12x binoculars a few years ago when I used to compete in 3-D archery tournaments.  I quit shooting and have not used them since.  I think that my mom has them now.  She uses them to watch the deer when they are in the yard.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%