Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Changing scales

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Changing scales
on: October 17, 2011, 02:59:16 AM
Amici,
A quick question, although I know that one of the beauties of the SAK is that you can change the scales to whatever color and style/material you like, my question is about the initial scales that you first remove to replace with something else. Can these be reused more than once, or is it once they're removed from a SAK for some sort of upgrade, they're now headed to the rubbish bin unless you reapply them with some sort of adhesive? Just curious to know can SAK scales be used more than once.

Cheers,
Serge
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:45:35 AM by sergemaster »
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline bren10man

Re: Changing scales
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:25:51 AM
Once the scales are removed, they are done.  You cannot reuse them, unless you carefully pry them off (newer, modern scales that is; older ones are brittle) and then use an adhesive (not recommended) to hold them in place.

The 3 points where the brass rivets fit into the insertes in the scales fit just right.  Removed, they damage the scales due to the prying done to take them off.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:17:42 AM
I have occasionally been able to remove and reapply perfectly without adhesive. It is rare that I can do this but it can be done sometimes with great care.
T

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:37:07 AM
It seems that nylon scales can usually be reused once or twice without the need for an adhesive. With cellidor ones it's different :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:41:38 AM
Do keep in mind that you don't need to swamp the SAK with glue to reapply old scales.  Just a tiny amount in each bushing well is all that's required. So its not a messy process :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 06:04:32 PM
Amici,
I hope this pix illustrates the talking points that were posted earlier. The top set are a brand spanking new set of red 91 mm scales that I picked up from Rotokid about 1 year or so ago that I keep as spares and haven't used yet.

Below that, is a set I removed from my 1990 + Swisschamp which I replaced with another pair of scales courtesy again of Rotokid. If you look closely at these, you will see that the edges around where the bushings would rest are ragged, as if the bushing ripped out of the plastic scale at the time of removal and replacement. So I believe this backs up the case regarding the older scales.

As for the new ones, I also had a pair of blue scales that I briefly had on my Swisschamp, but after deciding to go with white, I removed and later installed them on a friends Swisschamp that was in desperate need of a makeover. So far those scales have not fallen off, and it has been some considerable amount of time since I did this.

Cheers,
Serge

VIC scales.jpg
* VIC scales.jpg (Filesize: 54.34 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 07:24:01 PM
Do keep in mind that you don't need to swamp the SAK with glue to reapply old scales.  Just a tiny amount in each bushing well is all that's required. So its not a messy process :)

Excellent point. Too much adhesive and you will either fill in the T&T slots and block them or, if you put the T&T in too soon, you will glue them in place.  :cry:
T

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 02:10:41 AM
The SAK Owner's Manual says you can remove scales without damaging the sockets by putting the knife in boiling water for two minutes and removing the scale immediately.  You may have to press the warm scale flat tho.
Which way you use a blade to pop off the scales makes a difference too:  lift the scale with the edge of the blade nearest the rivet.  Twisting the other way, lifting the edge farthest from the rivet, causes more damage to the locking-socket.   
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 03:32:47 AM
I am definitely no SAK expert, but I have taken off the scales and replaced them multiple times without any problems.  Is there something i'm missing here.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 03:00:22 PM
I am definitely no SAK expert, but I have taken off the scales and replaced them multiple times without any problems.  Is there something i'm missing here.  :think:

I know what you mean, I've done a few (hand-full) and had little problems but I think when you do hundreds and all types, from the solid scales to the hollow ones and the older ones where they are more brittle the problems arise  ;)

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 04:28:33 PM
Boiling hot water huh?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 06:19:44 PM
I think if you're very careful you can switch them 2-3 times.  The boiling water preparation soulds interesting.  I've used the hair dryer for the new DD scales and it worked very well.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%