Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anti-virus ware recommendations

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Anti-virus ware recommendations
on: December 30, 2007, 07:43:14 PM
My Norton subscription runs out in a couple weeks,and I'm generally satisfied with it,but I'm wondering if there's anything out there that does the job better. I'm looking for your experiences and recommendations as to what you prefer,or what to avoid.
I

us Offline Splat

Re: Anti-virus ware recommendations
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:28:07 PM
I've recommended AVG free anti-virus s/w along with Adaware, also free for non-commercial use, to my friends and family. It works well but I always recommend using a second a/v program to catch what the first one didn't.  ;)
Splat

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:34:21 PM
I HIGHLY recommend AVG Free Edition also.  I work on many PCs and workstations on my personal time, and it cleans viruses better than any other product I've used.  Norton STINKS in comparison.

... and it's free!

AVG used alongside Ad-Aware and Spybot will keep your system spotless.
- Terry

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:44:15 PM
I'm glad this topic came up...there's a serious problem with a terminal at work.  Constant pop ups...when were not even surfing the net.  You'll be in another program altogether, or not even at the computer, and dozens of ads pop up.

Would this be fixable with this AVG free edition?  The terminal moves at a snails pace, so if someone could post a link to a DL of that program I'd appreciate it!  (It would save me 15 minutes of Googling it :twak:)
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:48:02 PM
I use Prevx and have done for a year now.  I think it is pretty good.  Anyone else have any experience with it?
I'm back!!

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 12:04:51 AM
I'll third AVG... I use it quite a bit and haven't had any problems with it.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 04:46:36 AM
I'm glad this topic came up...there's a serious problem with a terminal at work.  Constant pop ups...when were not even surfing the net.  You'll be in another program altogether, or not even at the computer, and dozens of ads pop up.

Would this be fixable with this AVG free edition?  The terminal moves at a snails pace, so if someone could post a link to a DL of that program I'd appreciate it!  (It would save me 15 minutes of Googling it :twak:)

Your pop-ups are probably caused by spyware, not a virus.  Try running Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware first, then do a virus scan.

Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Lavasoft Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

AVG Antivirus: http://free.grisoft.com/
- Terry

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 04:51:11 AM

Your pop-ups are probably caused by spyware, not a virus.  Try running Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware first, then do a virus scan.

Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Lavasoft Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

AVG Antivirus: http://free.grisoft.com/

Thanks for the links...I'll jump in this thread tomorrow and try and get that computer sorted out :twak:
[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 05:00:16 AM
:twak:

HEY!  Watch who you're smackin' with that thing.

:D
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 05:02:01 AM
I forgot to add...  Avast is generally considered AVG's equal, and is also free.  I have used both, but prefer AVG.

Avast Antivirus: http://www.avast.com/
- Terry

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 05:19:26 AM
I would normally vote for AVG as well, but been running windows LiveCare One since oct and it's saved my butt more times than I can count. I think it's like $50 a year or something, I got a free year to try mine (did some beta testing for MS).

David

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 05:33:19 AM
With that many recommendations for AVG...I believe I'll go that route.....Thanks and a tip of the hat!!! I've been using the Ad-aware for a couple years,and like it.
I

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 08:32:08 AM
I have no experience with, knowledge of, or other reason to endorse this product at all, but I'm throwing the name out there -

Sophos.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 10:40:03 AM
My Norton subscription runs out in a couple weeks,and I'm generally satisfied with it,but I'm wondering if there's anything out there that does the job better. I'm looking for your experiences and recommendations as to what you prefer,or what to avoid.

Perfect chance to GET A MAC!!

Calvin
[

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 10:47:00 AM

Look kids, it's the Reality Distortion Field!

(I use Macs for work, and am looking to buy one for Home as soon as this old Electro Dynamo studders to a feeble end, I was also firm friends with Apple back in my tender youth, despite all this, I still find a strange rising of bile in the face of anyone with an iPhone or who cares to stop me in the street and point excitedly about their "Ask me about Macs!" shirt-buttons, with their big, iLife using smurfeating grins. >:()

On the other hand - Welcome to Darwin!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 11:07:15 AM

Look kids, it's the Reality Distortion Field!

(I use Macs for work, and am looking to buy one for Home as soon as this old Electro Dynamo studders to a feeble end, I was also firm friends with Apple back in my tender youth, despite all this, I still find a strange rising of bile in the face of anyone with an iPhone or who cares to stop me in the street and point excitedly about their "Ask me about Macs!" shirt-buttons, with their big, iLife using Colorful Enunciationeating grins. >:()

On the other hand - Welcome to Darwin!

I agree, I don't shout out to everyone "Get A Mac", only the cool kids, like on this site. We want to keep Mac small, that's one reason very few people will write a virus for Macs. Why screw with a few when you can write your evil virus for the masses?

If Macs ever became real popular they would probably, like most things that get big, turn into crap.

I also use both Mac and PC (work) everyday. I am 49 and have only been a Mac convert for about a year and don't know a tenth of what these fantastic machines will do (I spend a lot of time on this addictive site called Multitool.org).

Stop and think about this unusual concept, with a Mac, the same company that builds the computer also writes the operating system for it. Now ask me why Macs 'just work".

Calvin
[

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 11:28:09 AM
If Macs ever became real popular they would probably, like most things that get big, turn into crap.

While in no way as pervasive as "windoze", which dominate the market in much the same way as trousers dominate the leg-wear market, I would say Macs by now certainly qualify as "Popular" - perhaps in the way Neck Ties are popular- Not everyone has one, and some would call them useless but for fashion, however you will still see at least one aficionado per day.

For me, the biggest problem with Macs is not the devices themselves, but the users, who (certainly not all, but enough to give them a bad Name, much like a few irritating Christians ruin the Almighty for the rest of us), tend to harbour a strange a belief that as they are the "Superior" breed, others, despite being the majority, should learn to be compatible with them, and their systems, rather than arranging themselves(the Mac users) to integrate with the rest of civilisation.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:36:03 AM by Nomad »

Offline kreskin13

Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 11:59:33 AM

While in no way as pervasive as "windoze", which dominate the market in much the same way as trousers dominate the leg-wear market, I would say Macs by now certainly qualify as "Popular" - perhaps in the way Neck Ties are popular- Not everyone has one, and some would call them useless but for fashion, however you will still see at least one aficionado per day.

For me, the biggest problem with Macs is not the devices themselves, but the users, who (certainly not all, but enough to give them a bad Name, much like a few irritating Christians ruin the Almighty for the rest of us), tend to harbour a strange a belief that as they are the "Superior" breed, others, despite being the majority, should learn to be compatible with them, and their systems, rather than arranging themselves(the Mac users) to integrate with the rest of civilisation.

Your analogy of certain Mac users and irritating Christians is pretty good. However, you will have that with just about anything or subject. Any logical person can rise above that and see things the way they really are.

Although I certainly do not consider myself superior to anyone (look at my feeble attempt to carry on an intelligent discussion), I know when I'm on a Mac, I AM on a "superior machine".

Nomad, you're a thinking man and as micky d said it best, I'm pretty much "just a caveman" :D

Thanks,

Calvin
[

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 12:26:46 PM
Quote from: Kreskin
Although I certainly do not consider myself superior to anyone (look at my feeble attempt to carry on an intelligent discussion), I know when I'm on a Mac, I AM on a "superior machine".

Nomad, you're a thinking man and as micky d said it best, I'm pretty much "just a caveman"
  (emphasis mine)

So the Mac is like a bigger rock? :D

Offline kreskin13

Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 12:32:13 PM
Quote from: Kreskin

Nomad, you're a thinking man and as micky d said it best, I'm pretty much "just a caveman"
  (emphasis mine)

So the Mac is like a bigger rock? :D

You got it Nomad, you're the best,

Happy New Year

Calvin
[

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 01:00:40 PM
Happy New Year
Cheers  :cheers:

My Norton Subscription ran out in...2002?

I've got a whole list of outdated and probably no longer functional free-trial anti virus, spyware-B-Gon, and Firewall programs, I have no idea which, if any of them is doing the magic, but I have not had a problem for at least two years.
Sygate, AVG, Spamfighter, Windows Security Centre, Ad-Aware are the ones that might still be working.

Mostly I just don't make a habit of downloading questionable material.

Offline Biru

Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 05:31:33 PM
After my Kaspersky license ran out (without any warning, I might add), I downloaded AVG at the recommendation of a friend and had excellent luck with it. One caveat: I and some other users have noted trouble with AVG when updating. It seems that, after a while, some AVG AV programs become unstable after updating. I had this trouble after 2 years of reliable use. I had to remove the program and was unable to re-install. I then went to Avast (another Czech company, I believe) and, while I don't like its interface as well as AVG, it has done very well by me. If you do try AVG, be sure to try their anti spyware program-it incorporates the very good anti spyware program formerly known as Ewido, I believe. It detects trojans, bots and other nasties. Since I began using Firefox the program hasn't had much to do, but it's a good program. As to AVG, Avast and Ad-Aware, they are well-recommended as trustworthy by several tech sites. Good Luck, Bill.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 05:33:52 PM by Biru »

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 12:26:32 AM
come on people, stop wasting money and letting others tell you what you can or cannot do with your software, get linux!

Esteban

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD