Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Types of wood used for Victorinox scales..

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Types of wood used for Victorinox scales..
on: October 19, 2011, 11:40:56 PM
Amici,
What type of hardwood is used to scale the new versions of the Swisschamp? I know that Rosewood is is used on the so-called "higher end" versions, but what about the scales with the Victorinox emblem seared onto the scale escapes me. I'm thinking possibly Teak but I'm not sure.

Reason I'm asking is what I would like to do is darken it up a little, but I need to know the wood type so I know what would be the proper soluton to use to so so.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Types of wood used for Victorinox scales..
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 01:17:08 AM
There are a couple of ways that the scales could be darkened, not necessarily with a "solution". The first step would be to sand any clearcoat that is on the scales (never handled a wood-scaled SAK, not sure what they're finished with). After making sure the scales are clean and dust-free, step two would be to apply a light coat of a heavy bodied pigmented stain or gel stain. Zar and Old Masters are the companies that come to mind right away. A heavy bodied glazing stain such as that made by Mohawk would work too. Apply the stain, then wipe it off with a rag. Repeat to taste. Step Three would be to seal the scales using either a polyurethane or a lacquer. You're in Jersey, right? PM me and I'll see what I can do, might be able to get you very small quantities of any of the products I mentioned.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 04:50:02 PM
Heard that this lighter wood is bobinga.
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 05:50:27 PM
Many hardwoods resist staining so most of the conventional stains on the market won't change their color much.  Glazes can help, but if you are going to carry this particular SAK chipping will be an issue.  When glazes chip it is very noticeable because the lighter wood underneath is exposed.

You could use an aniline dye stain.  They will effectively darken most hardwoods and are available in a wide variety of colors.  Another advantage of dye stains is their clarity.  Regular pigmented stains cloud the look of the wood, aniline dyes do not.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip32.html
Tick Magnet

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21