Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge replacement blades

toytoy · 37 · 11772

Offline toytoy

Surge replacement blades
on: December 31, 2007, 12:53:03 AM
The replacement blade is a nice idea.  Hoever, it may be not practical.

The T-shank adapter takes about 2 cm (0.8 in) of usable blade length.  It makes the saw's effective cutting stroke even shorter than that of a Swiss Army knife.  These replacement blades are designed for power tools.  A reciprocal power tool has no problem accept such a shortend blade.  A human may find it difficult to use.

I haven't seen any T-shanked files.  Needless to say, power tool users do not need T-shanked files and there is no way to buy replacement files except from Leatherman.

As to saws, the majority of T-shanked saws are too lengthy to fit into a multi-tool.  Therefore, it may be difficult to get a replacement blade for a specific job.  The shortest curve wood saws are short enough to fit Surge.  Some fine thin metal saws are also short enough.  You don't want to use a hand tool to cut thick metal anyway.

If you carry spare saws separately, you may use Surge as a good-enough saw handle.

As shown by my comparison, Surge's saw is only marginally longer than that of a cheap Sheffield's.

I prefer to have a fixed long wood saw (2 cm longer) and a T-shank adapter that replaces the bit adapter.  The bits may also be T-shanked (no more two-in-one bits).  This T-snak adapter may allow a much longer file stored in the sheath with the bits.  The T-shank adapter and the bit adapter are about the same size only the T-shank adapter is a little thinner.

* Saw I, II, III, IV.jpg (Filesize: 80.43 KB)

* Leatherman_Surge_Hacked.jpg (Filesize: 93.57 KB)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 02:14:29 AM by toytoy »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Surge replacement blades
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 01:14:48 AM
Welcome sir! Very good points you make there, and a clear comparison picture too. The interchangable blade concept certainly comes at a price :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 01:29:04 AM
Welcome toytoy,

I got a Surge recently, and have had many of the same conclusions about the adapter... For me though, the big difference is that the Surge is a "with sheath" tool for me, so I can carry blades that are a bit longer even though they wouldn't fit in the closed tool. Also, about the power-tool vs. hand-tool thing- I think you're probably right when it comes to the blades with big or very agressive teeth (I saw some like this that were labeled for "speed"), but I suspect that the ones with smaller teeth might work just fine. I have yet to test them out though...

One thing I do really like is the option of having metal-cutting blades. :) Doing electrical work for a few years, I've used sawz-all blades for cutting nails (to get boxes out of the wall) pretty often. I was too cheap to get the real tool... Anyhow, they worked good for me then, and the Surge should offer a much better handle than the wire & electric tape "handles" I made for the sawz-all blades... ::)

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 01:58:44 AM
I actually love the concept of the replacement blade system on the Surge. The only blade however that I have purchased is the Lenox ceramic blade. I used it the other day to cut tile in the bathroom. I will confess however tat the blade has been in the sheath now for well over a year and this was the first time that I had used it. It also really is thinner than the surge saw and file, but it did work.
S

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 06:33:12 AM
Yeah, but the saw on the Surge cuts much better than the Sheffield...
B

Offline toytoy

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 07:02:23 AM
True.  But Sheffield's pliers are spring-loaded and it makes the pliers easier to use in certain circumstances.  Its below-average workmanship (especially the main blade) also makes it a perfect choice for some non-life-critical uses that I may lose it.  I have much less love on this tool.  A tool is a tool is a tool, after all.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 06:47:21 PM
Sheffield also makes the Lowes house brand in which I have highly touted here on the forum and it has become my loaner tool and has preformed very well on that part.
S

Offline toytoy

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 12:59:26 PM
Knife length (Surge /Wave): 1.17
Saw length (Surge /Wave): 0.90
File length (Surge /Wave): Approximately 0.90

* Surge-Wave-blades.jpg (Filesize: 22.63 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 01:09:51 AM
Knife length (Surge /Wave): 1.17
Saw length (Surge /Wave): 0.90
File length (Surge /Wave): Approximately 0.90

Ahhh, ratios.  :) I didn't get it at first.

Interesting that the saw length and file length are so much shorter on the larger Surge.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline kreskin13

Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 10:30:02 AM
I can't remember where I read it but someone pointed out that with the removeable/replaceable file you are able to sharpen the blade on your multitool.  If you are out and about and you bugger up your blade with no sharpener around the diamond file could come in real handy as you're able to take it out of the tool. You couldn't do that with any other multitool (can you?) :think:

Anyway I bought a surge and then decided to buy the replacement saw and file direct from Leatherman. I looked them up on their site and they are only 5 USD for the pair in a nice little nylon slipcase. I thinking on getting more and putting a file in any multitool pouch that will hold it. The Leatherman sheaths with the elastic pockets seem ideal for this. You can cut the slipcase in half as it is 2 separate compartments to make it easier to fit.

Is this a good idea or not? Please give me some feedback before I go off and order a dozen of these. :ahhh

Calvin
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 10:39:14 AM
I thinking on getting more and putting a file in any multitool pouch that will hold it. The Leatherman sheaths with the elastic pockets seem ideal for this. You can cut the slipcase in half as it is 2 separate compartments to make it easier to fit.

Seems like a good idea. Just be careful cutting the nylon case as the seam line is fairly thin.

You could even go so far as to epoxy the half-sleeve to the interior of the selected sheath so it doesn't bounce around and make extraction/insertion of the tool more difficult.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 09:16:34 PM
I thinking on getting more and putting a file in any multitool pouch that will hold it. The Leatherman sheaths with the elastic pockets seem ideal for this. You can cut the slipcase in half as it is 2 separate compartments to make it easier to fit.

Seems like a good idea. Just be careful cutting the nylon case as the seam line is fairly thin.

You could even go so far as to epoxy the half-sleeve to the interior of the selected sheath so it doesn't bounce around and make extraction/insertion of the tool more difficult.

You're right Spoon, that seam line is very thin and being someone who makes his living hand cutting similar materials with both a razor knife and scissors to tight tolerances, I don't recommend trying it at all. I think a better move would be to sacrifice one sleeve by giving the entire seam line to the other sleeve. You could try some sort of tape or something to try and save the other sleeve but I don't hold much hope for that.

The other option would be to use a single nylon slipcase that some jigsaw blades come in. i don't know if any of the makers of the "T" shape shank needed use that type of package.

Calvin
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 04:37:24 AM
I can't remember where I read it but someone pointed out that with the removeable/replaceable file you are able to sharpen the blade on your multitool.  If you are out and about and you bugger up your blade with no sharpener around the diamond file could come in real handy as you're able to take it out of the tool. You couldn't do that with any other multitool (can you?) :think:

That is an excellent point Calvin! :)

I cannot think of any others.

Offline toytoy

Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 04:51:38 AM
Years ago I saw it on a Japanese TV show:

Bring a piece of aluminium foil with you. You may fold it over and over until it is several layers thick. Then you use it to wrap the blade. Hold the foil with your left fingers and force the blade to cut through the foil. Do it a few times and you will have a sharpened blade.

I did not try it. It may be useful.

http://lifehacker.com/software/macgyver-tip/use-aluminum-foil-to-sharpen-scissors-300223.php

Offline kreskin13

Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 01:30:42 PM

That is an excellent point Calvin! :)

I cannot think of any others.

Thanks, but I can't take credit for it. I'm pretty sure I first heard about doing that from someone on this site. Lots of smart people here!

Calvin
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 01:51:36 PM
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 01:53:33 PM
Was it from this?
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2137.0.html

I was going to look for that thread! Thanks for saving me the effort :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 02:32:08 PM
Was it from this?

I was going to look for that thread! Thanks for saving me the effort :)

No probs, here to help.  ;) :D
I'm back!!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 03:21:26 PM
Was it from this?

That covers it but I don't believe it's the one I'm thinking about. I remember the person saying if he had only his Wave with a dull blade he wouldn't be able to sharpen it even though the Wave has a diamond file. I haven't been able to find it but I''ll keep looking. :think:

The idea of having that diamond file meant for the Surge in any multitool or knife pouch where it will fit still sounds good. The fact that Leatherman sells the twin pack of the file and saw with the slipcase for only 5 USD makes it even sweeter!

Calvin
[

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 03:27:41 PM
I remember that thread aswell, haven't got a clue where it is though!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 08:52:23 PM
I really think the LM should produce a bunch of accessories for the SURGE adapter. Like a guthook, a nice chisel, and maybe even a set of extra long hex bits for it so you could get at recessed screws..
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 04:07:18 AM
I really think the LM should produce a bunch of accessories for the SURGE adapter. Like a guthook, a nice chisel, and maybe even a set of extra long hex bits for it so you could get at recessed screws..

I'm wondering though if the T-shank holder would stand up to the torque of a screwdriver? :-\

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 04:08:48 AM
I doubt it.  As tough as the Surge is, the T shank isn't designed for that kind of thing.  I bet you'd blow it out in no time.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline SoDak

Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 01:31:17 AM
I doubt it.  As tough as the Surge is, the T shank isn't designed for that kind of thing.  I bet you'd blow it out in no time.

Def
Same here. Heck some days I wonder if the blade holder is strong enough for its intended purpose. When I was carrying the surge I had to use the saw to cut some boards for a quick project. I found that if you combined any side to side force on the saw with the bottom of the blade holder sleeve thingy hitting the board, the blade holder would pop open in no time. The same thing happened when I tried to cut a thin strip of aluminum with a metal blade, although to the surge's defense, the metal blade was a bit too narrow and had excessive play in the holder to begin with. I'm not saying the blade exchanger is a bad design, but it sure could be more durable. Basically, the blade exchanger is primarily what keeps me from carrying the surge because I can't just like using the wood saw. It's a shame because I really liked having a real set of scissors that I could acces with one hand.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 01:32:34 AM
Yeah, the extra long hex bit was just I thought because I needed one more thing! It would never work!
B

Offline windcalmer

Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 12:34:54 AM
I have found that the BOSCH "Progressor" blades are great for use with the Surge. Near the "T" they are finer toothed for starting off a cut. Then as you go farther from the "T" it gets coarser toothed. They work GREAT IMHO.

Here are two pics so you can see the size of these blades. The are hard to fit in the case, but I keep on in the case, and then four more in my pack for spares. Just figured I would share my find. Hope it helps someone.

[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 01:18:54 AM
Yeah, those do look quite cool! How much did you pay for them? Do they fit snug in the blade exchanger? BTW, the SURGE is a great tool!
B

Offline windcalmer

Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 01:40:43 AM
Yeah, those do look quite cool! How much did you pay for them? Do they fit snug in the blade exchanger? BTW, the SURGE is a great tool!

They were I think $8(US) for a three pack. As for the fit, they rattle. So far every blade I have tried does not fit snug. I think leather man did this on purpose so only their blades would fit snug. I did find a quick fix though:

Take a small piece of first aide tape and double it oer the "T" part. One layer on either side of the blade will make it fit nice and snug. The Tape stays on with the blade out of the Surge and it is cheap and easy to do. I used the "Water Proof Johnson and Johnson" stuff. You would want to use the 1/2 inch tape.

Here is a pic to illustrate what I did:

Hope it helps!
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 01:42:20 AM
Yeah, that is quite the good idea! What do you cut with the saws?
B

Offline windcalmer

Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 01:46:00 AM
Mostly wood (small limbs, larger limbs) Camping stuff. LOL I also use a metal bit in it for small stuff around the shop. Just sorta random really. :)
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD