Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me choose a SAK 'system'

sk Offline OndrejP_SK

Help me choose a SAK 'system'
on: October 25, 2011, 12:48:33 PM
Hi guys,

I'm kind of new here. I've bought several SAKs recently, but I realize that just buying more and more doesn't solve it. I don't want to be a collector. I'd rather put together a nice set of SAKs for special purposes (so far 2 I can think of): for urban EDC and for outdoor and hiking. Please let me know what you think about this.

Urban EDC.
I'm thinking about this as something that I have on me when I go to work, in the town... I'd like this SAK to have all types of screwdrivers (+-_), scissors and possibly the pliers. I've been thinking about a Deluxe Climber + LED/Philips layer, but I'm worried it might be too thick and heavy for EDC.
Now what do I give up  ???
If I give up the inline philips, I could just get a Deluxe Tinker and somehow get over the backside Philips, but I also lose the micro screwdriver in the corkscrew... :(
If I give up the pliers, I could just buy an Explorer or add scissors to the Spartan Lite (I'd really prefer to have the LED).
Maybe I could remove scissors and carry a Classic on the keys...

Outdoor and hiking.
In this case the dilemma is whether to get one SAK that can do it all (Workchamp) or 2 SAKs that would complement each other like one larger knife with wood saw (Trekker/Rucksack/Wenger) and a smaller 91mm SAK with scissors, pliers and metal saw and possibly a magnifier. For outdoor use I don't need a LED (I'll carry a separate flashlight).
It looks like the small one could be a Mountaineer + pliers (or maybe even with magnifier/philips layer).

Soooo many options :think:

00 Offline Carlos

Re: Help me choose a SAK 'system'
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:18:17 PM
Hi! Just my quick 2 cents based on your input:
- urban edc: victorinox CT34 or the cybertool lite ("all types of screwdrivers (+-_), scissors and possibly the pliers")
- outdoor/hiking: what about a multitool instead, say a wave/charge or a victorinox spirit

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 01:31:52 PM
Welcome to the forum  :)

I rarely approach any situation looking for one SAK or multitool to address eveything I might need. Instead I look at what would be the best foundation, and what would I need to compliment it. Here's a little example of what I mean (just a little something I'm working on). I wouldn't get all this capability in one single tool in such a small space

LINK <----- click

I tend to have different tools in different areas of my life (because I can :D ) but still don't try to get one tool to do everything. Here's are some combo's I use in different areas:

1) SOG Powerlock, Gerber Fit, Wenger Motorist
2) Victorinox Pioneer, Leatherman Micra, Leatherman Mini
3) SOG Toolclip, Victorinox Champion
4) Wenger Swissgrip, Leatherman Core, Gerber DET (Modified)
5) Victorinox Swisstool CS Plus, Fenix PD20 torch, Byrd Wings Slipit

There are more  :D :D I also have small SAKs on my keys too. My favourite "tackle anything" multitool is a Victorinox Spirit, but even this I don't carry alone

I appreciate this is way more than you're looking at carrying, but maybe finding the best match SAK as a basis then maybe complimenting with smaller tools such as a photon torch, or a True Utility Eyeglass magnifyer, or something like a Leatherman Squirt, or even a 91 or 85/84mm SAK in your pocket and a 58 or 65mm SAK on your keys might help you get what you're looking for in a compact package. The bonus is you generally get a spare blade out of the deal in case one gets dull  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

sk Offline OndrejP_SK

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 02:31:10 PM
Carlos> thanks for the hints. CT looks nice, but I think the standard screwdrivers (+-_) are enough and that I don't need the bits. The multitools on the other hand are too big. However the LM Juice looks nice and I might consider it as my urban EDC.

50ft-trad>Got the point, but would prefer to keep the urban EDC tool to minimum number of tools. One would be best, but I could probably live with 2. More tools and there's a big chance that I lose one somewhere.
For outdoor use it's similar, but I think I could live with 3 tools: I big knife with wood saw (111/120mm), a small multitool (probably Juice again) and a keychain sized (58mm) Vic.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 02:47:13 PM
I've been thinking about a Deluxe Climber + LED/Philips layer, but I'm worried it might be too thick and heavy for EDC.

It looks like the small one could be a Mountaineer + pliers (or maybe even with magnifier/philips layer).

Just read your first posts again ... are you thinking of modding? If so a Swisschamp with fish scaler and opener layer removed, and a combo tool from a Waiter instead of small blade might do the trick  :think: Add a photon light on the keyring and you've got the full gamut in one package for urban and country. You just lose the small flathead on the end of can opener, but everything else is there - plus a few nice little extras that could come in useful wherever you are

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 03:00:02 PM
I think you need to go read the looooong thread on modding SAKs, then rip a couple apart and make exactly what you want :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

cz Offline Rahmed

Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 03:47:02 PM
I think you need to go read the looooong thread on modding SAKs, then rip a couple apart and make exactly what you want :D
+1 :D

sk Offline OndrejP_SK

Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 04:24:38 PM
That's exactly what I'm gonna do  :salute:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 03:50:37 AM
And he has either run screaming after the mods, or he's still sitting there staring, slightly slack jawed. *laughs* I was in the latter category.

There is the other option- carry a SAK with some tools, a pliers based multi with the others, and a seperate light.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

sk Offline OndrejP_SK

Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 09:26:49 AM
ironraven> I was planning to do some mods anyway. The Vic offer is wide, but there are some gaps (combinations of layers not offered).

The reason to have as few items as possible is the same as when Swiss army ordered the combination knife-opener-screwdriver for their soldiers - one item that I look after and that I won't lose. Make it 3 or 4 items and it's easy to lose one... So that's why I'd prefer to have only 1 item, or keep it to minimum.

england Offline macabee

Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 05:10:03 PM
For what it's worth

Urban EDC.
If the Swisstool is too heavy, although I consider it to be acceptable, the swisschamp would cover most needs

Outdoor and hiking.
The Vic compact and the Vic soldier 2008 would make a good combo
 :cheers:
SwissChamp-Tools.jpg
* SwissChamp-Tools.jpg (Filesize: 37.29 KB)
swisstool.jpg
* swisstool.jpg (Filesize: 8.05 KB)
compact.jpg
* compact.jpg (Filesize: 24.95 KB)
Soldier-2008_3.jpg
* Soldier-2008_3.jpg (Filesize: 13.61 KB)
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 07:31:31 PM
Ondre,

For me, for urban EDC, I keep a Swiss Champ in a holster on the strap of my cycling/EDC bag.  It does more than I need it to though...  If you don't want something that big or expensive, look at the Deluxe Tinker or the Mechanic; they have the pliers.  While most people bag on the SAK pliers, I love them.  They're great for all kinds of small bending tasks, like pulling staples, etc., and I bike a lot, and there's nothing better for pulling things like metal and glass slivers and other things out of bike tires than the SAK pliers.

For outdoors/hiking I just ordered a Work Champ.  It's going to live in my 'adventure pack', a Mountainsmith backpack that I keep loaded up with all the stuff I need for outdoor stuff, from a day hike, to a week's worth of car camping with the wife and kids.

If you feel you really need a larger set of pliers while outdoors, look at a Gerber Octane or the new Crucial FAST.  Again, many members here bag on both these tools, but I like them for biking and hiking because they're compact and lightweight compared to other tools like a Charge AL or a SwissTool.  Honestly, even though I just got a new Crunch a few weeks ago, my Octane is still my favorite EDC plier based tool.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

sk Offline OndrejP_SK

Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 09:52:02 PM
Looks like I'll need to try a few combinations and see what fits me the most. At the moment I'm leaning towards a modded Deluxe Climber + LED/Philips as EDC (3 layers thinner than Swisschamp: no fish, saw, file).

For the outdoor use, I'm still undecided between Workchamp (which BTW arrived in the mail today :mail:) and the combination of a thinner 111/120mm knife (Rucksack/Trekker/WRG78) + my older Handyman (which BTW has it all except a larger blade and longer saw), but I'll decide that after some outings with each combination.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:53:47 PM by OndrejP_SK »

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 11:57:56 PM
I like to carry my Explorer for urban carry backed up with a squirt P4. Whilst in the woods I like to carry a Forrester (tried the Trekka but the but didn't find it comfortable when using the saw as the blade opening hole gets in the way).

Regards, Jon.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 03:13:40 AM
I agree with the CT34 for EDC/Urban, and maybe an outrider or Workchamp for Outdoors.  There are ton of variations and you can pretty much get exactly what you want give or take without modding.  Then again, there ARE mods out there...

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 05:10:41 AM
I agree with the CT34 for EDC/Urban, and maybe an outrider or Workchamp for Outdoors.  There are ton of variations and you can pretty much get exactly what you want give or take without modding.  Then again, there ARE mods out there...

I've got an Outrider and it's a great tool.  I stopped carrying it though because I really need those little pliers.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 06:35:33 PM
If I wanted to carry SAK-sized MT, and needed  more than 4 layers of tools, I'd just carry a Leatherman Juice Cs4 (which has better pliers than a SAK, btw).  But the Juice would weigh more than a SAK, but less than a full-sized MT.

For urban EDC, pretty much any 3 layer SAK would due just fine for urban EDC. But If I needed  pliers and/or 4+ layers of tools, then it's time to carry a pliers-based MT of some sort.

For your Outdoor and hiking needs: Swisstool Spirit.

The Spirit would also work for urban EDC.

So your SAK "system" could be just one tool: The Spirit.  ;)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:44:04 PM by shamus »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 06:44:53 PM
For urban EDC, pretty much any 3 layer SAK would due just fine for urban EDC.
+1. I'm liking the Explorer more and more everyday on its own. When I need pliers, such as at work, I go with an MT and a smaller SAK, usually my Farmer.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 09:24:31 PM
If I wanted to carry SAK-sized MT, and needed  more than 4 layers of tools, I'd just carry a Leatherman Juice Cs4 (which has better pliers than a SAK, btw).

Everyone bags on the SAK pliers...

Stop the hatin'!!!

SAK pliers are good tools... they have their uses.

I'd like to see someone dig out a broken piece of a staple buried between the treads of a 32c bicycle tire, or a sliver of glass especially, with the pliers on a Surge or Charge, or even a Juice for that matter...

Maybe I should start a swiss army knife pliers anti-defamation league... :D

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 12:58:54 AM
Heinz, they do have their uses. If Vic called them "ubertweezers" or "hemostat, non-locking", then I think they'd get picked on less. But since some of carry a pair of actual hemostats in our edc tools...
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 03:45:24 AM
Heinz, they do have their uses. If Vic called them "ubertweezers" or "hemostat, non-locking", then I think they'd get picked on less. But since some of carry a pair of actual hemostats in our edc tools...

Well, some of us are just lowly bikers... not medical professionals...  Never actually carried a pair of hemo's on me... I've always been a pipe smoker... :D LOL!!!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 04:44:23 AM
not medical professionals... 

Nor am I, but I got into the habit using them as heat sinks and clamps while soldering, and then realized they can be awfully useful at the oddest times.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%