Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Washer and dryer help.

Chako · 41 · 2516

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Washer and dryer help.
on: October 29, 2011, 01:42:51 AM
I think I might be in the market for a new washer and dryer. My old set is getting tired. It takes 2 hours to dry a load of cotton T shirts, and the washer doesn't ring the water out of the cloths like it used to.

With that said, I sure wasn't expecting a major headache looking into this either. At first, I was drawn to a high efficient front loader simply because it is about as far away from the traditional top loader with agitator that I am used to. I figure I may as well get a little adventurous. However, after much reading, I have come to the realization that people who write about them online mostly hate them with a passion. Plenty of mold stories, broken seals, water leaks, etc...

Then I started to look at my laundry nook, which is in the main hallway just north of the computer desk I am typing this on. I love the location as doing laundry is very convenient. However, the nook has a 4 foot opening,  but opens to a little over 5 feet once you get past the small wall partitions. I can't figure out why the house is built like this, but I am not about to do some major renovations to fit in a pair of front loaders side by side. After thinking about it a lot more, I thought I might be able to stack them and gain some side floor space. But that comes with some issues of its own. I would have to remove a cupboard located above the current pair. Then I noticed something that nixed that idea. My vent is located low on the left hand side. Not sure if a dryer stacked on top of a washer could reach that. I keep thinking about all the negative online press about front loaders, and figure I should stay with top loaders for now.

Looking at top loaders is a bit complex as well. Some of those are now high efficient, with as many bells and whistles as the front loaders. However, there are a few things that sort of makes me hesitate. These tend to be rather expensive...or at least the ones I am currently looking at. I also hear they cause wrinkles in the clothing due to the high rate of drum spin. I guess to combat that issue, some of the top end dryers now have a steam feature. Just not sure if this is a big issue, or even if a steam feature is all that important to have in a dryer.

I am liking the LG WT510HV set, but at over 2k, seems a bit expensive for something to wash your laundry. There are a few others that seem nice. I guess my question for the forum members is this...do you have one of these HE top loaders, and if so, what do you think about them?

Right now, I figure I can't do a front loader anyways, so that leaves an HE top loader, or the old school agitator type that I currently have. Are these new HE type washers any good?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:44:40 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Washer and dryer help.
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 02:02:24 AM
I know this doesn't help for the washer, but have you tried vacuuming out the lint catch on the dryer, both at the screen portion and at the hot air vent on the back of the unit?  That sometimes helps, and obviously helps reduce the fire hazard.

Also, perhaps a simple tune-up for the motor of the washer would get it back to full working order; baring that, finding a replacement motor for it shouldn't be difficult.  Who knows?  It could save you a grand, if it works. :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 04:53:51 AM
Yes, done that to the dryer and more.

As for the washer, it is time to replace it. 20+ years of service for both appliances...they do not owe me anything.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 06:01:21 AM
You should get one of these

There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 06:50:02 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

does this model wash clothes too?
can it do any other tasks?
is it some new multitool?
I hear they are expensive to maintain..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 07:57:14 AM
How about stacking a front loading washing machine on a front loading drier?
or would the spin cycle make it problematic?
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 08:10:22 AM
Both our machines are front loader... but, we're in Europe, and that style is more common here... in fact, they have combo machines that both wash AND dry. Our washer is about 7 years old now, no problems yet, dryer is about 3, same deal.

The newer high end machines over here are pretty amazing and damn near silent even when spinning...unfortunately our washer has really long cycles compared to the top loaders I used in Canada...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 12:36:42 PM
No, the washer should be on the bottom. It has most of the weight anyhow.

I think I am getting closer and closer to buying an HE top loader set.

Medic82, I see you have a portable model there. Those are super expensive to maintain and run.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Washer and dryer help.
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 02:16:16 PM
Try to look for a washer/dryer combo that is made into one machine. Put your clothes in and then turn on and bing! Washed and dried in the same machine.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 02:46:52 PM
Are they any good?

I guess it would be a pain to do multiple washing loads with one of those. Can't wash and dry at the same time.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 02:58:15 PM
Never mind. I did a quick look up. Not my cup of tea.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 01:20:50 PM
I haven't gotten anything yet, waiting to see if any deals came up for Boxing Day. There are a few good deals, but very limited quantities, and I am not looking forward to surfing the insane crowds on the 27th, the soonest stores can open due to local by-laws.

I may need all the luck in the world for this kamikaze trip.  :D

us Offline papa_mcb

• wanna play swords?
Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 01:45:04 PM
Not sure if it is available in canada but here in the states I always purchase my appliances on craigslist as people here usually sell almost new appliances for just a fraction of the price. Just a thought to save some cash on such a big purchase.

_papa

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 03:55:39 PM
We got a high efficiency washer and LOVE it.

First and foremost, a high efficiency is a completely different animal from a regular washing machine. The complaints that some people have about them are because they are expecting the washer to be a like a regular washer, and they are not reading the instruction manual. But I never pay heed to the complaints of stupid people.  ::)

A high efficiency will use far less water than a regular machine. It will spin the daylights out of the clothes and it may look like  the clothes have dry spots on them, but this is because the washer has spun parts of the clothes dry. With the high efficiency, the spin cycle is so thorough that the dryer times are a lot shorter.

Also, since a high efficiency used less water, there is higher concentration of detergent in the mix, and that results in VERY clean clothes. I swear, that high efficiency cleans clothes VERY well. Old whites come out whiter, and colored clothes come out brighter.

Follow the manual and instructions, and you can't go wrong with a high efficiency.

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 06:55:09 AM
Hi Dan,

I did lots of research about 10 years ago on the High Efficiency Front Loaders.  We had been on an extended work/vacation in Germany and since the whole family including my in-laws went to Germany we needed to find a laundry a couple of times.  First thing we learned was the Laundromats were few and far between but everyone we found had front loaders.  And they all worked GREAT. 

It took almost another year for me to pull the trigger but what we bought was a Maytag Neptune.  This model is not made anymore but what we learned about washers was interesting.  Since we wash most of our clothes in cold water I was having a problem with granulated detergent not dissolving and there was an accumulation in the drain line from the house....big problem with a plugged up drain line.  Liquid detergent solved that problem...sorta.  It turns out that our cold water (in Southern California!) was too cold to wash clothes.  The Neptune will blend the hot and cold to get approximately 75 degrees Fahrenheit water in the drum for cold and I thing 105 degrees Fahrenheit for Warm.  The hot is full hot from the tap but if you want the washer will heat the water to a minimum of 125 Fahrenheit (Maybe hotter) the washer is really too smart for it's own good.  There is a very fast spin that you can use with the normal cycle and it exceeds 1000 RPM for a minute or two.  The clothes are very dry.  But when the washer spins it does not just spin it monitors the balance of the load and has a tuning algorithm that moves the clothes around to get the optimal balance.  And since the washer works the clothes back and forth there are not any sharp creases in the clothes when they come out of the washer. 

The matching dryer also does a great job.

There were a couple of unplanned good things that happened when we got the new washer/dryer.  Most interesting was the lack of lint in the dryer, there was much less lint in each load of clothes.  Cleaner clothes and less detergent...the recommend amount of detergent was more than we needed.

Bad things unplanned - Maytag tried to make us believe that our floor was not sturdy enough for the washer because it shook everything.  We changed the way we washed clothes a little and made sure that clothes that had string were tied together.  For example my daughter is going to culinary school and her aprons have string on them so I tie them together so they don't knot with other clothes, the same for sweat shirts with zipper fronts we close the zipper.  If you don't watch the load you end up with a knotted ball of clothes that the washer will not spin.  The washer is about 9 years old now and there are 2 struts (shock absorbers) on the back of the drum that must be shot or the lower mount is loose because we are having trouble getting the washer to spin the clothes....I'll get it fixed after the first of the year.

Our washer has the back of the drum lower than the front of the drum and when I researched the machine it was felt that the washer tended to keep clothes inside the drum better.  Not likely a plus especially since I feel that gravity is not your friend in the spin cycle with a reclining drum.

I would get a front door that was partially glass if I was going to do it again.  We really cut down on our soap usage and a window would have helped more. 

If I had a small area I would get a stacking set...the dryer vent would not be a problem even if I needed to relocate.  In fact I would get a stacking set even though our laundry room is good sized.  I hate to bend down to get clothes out of the dryer. 

There have been mold and failure to completely drain issues with the front loaders but I don't know if the latest washers still have the problem.  I know a lot of people have mold problems with the Maytag Neptunes but it is very dry here year round and our laundry room has 2 exterior walls. 

I really think you should take a look at the front loaders. 

Bruce

us Offline Pacu

Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 07:07:36 AM
i like the old reliable top loaders. Buy a simple one with one button on it -- the ON button on either. Less mechanics - less problems and easy to work on yourself. My ole Ropers lasted for years. Washer is still going to this day and i bought it used in 2000. :o
:like:    :MTO:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 09:19:25 AM
My thoughts

Truth be told I last saw a top loader over 30 years ago and it was ancient then.
And I have been to several countries since. So I have no experience with them.

Front loaders have been in use for many years in Europe and elsewhere and you get what you pay for.
A cheap no name one with limited functions and low rpm spin (500-800) will usually last if used daily about 5 to 10 years.
A lower cost branded one (usually Italian brands) will also last around 8 to 10 years.
Better quality (irrespective of fancy functions) ones (German brands usually like Bosch, Miele, AEG etc.) will last 10 to 20+ years and clean clothes better too.
Some machines that I know of have been working, with repairs, for several decades.

In the olden days the death of them was rusted drums but this seems to be less of a problem now, though my last washing machine, Italian made, developed pitting in the drum which tore clothes and was not worth fixing (Cheap to buy, the drum would cost more than the machine)

A better quality machine will be worth repairing.
I currently have a Bosch Logix? with an 8kg capacity and lots of, surprisingly useful, settings. Cleans better, cheaper, faster and is quieter. But it was not cheap. Does nearly 2 loads a day.

Stand alone dryers generally offer larger capacity for drying compared to combined machines.

A dryer that vents will be cheaper to run compared to one that condenses, as you do not need to use electricity to condense (cool down and turn back into water) the steam.

I have a basic dryer, British made by,  I think, whitenight which has been working fine for ten years, though because of my location  is not really used that much.

So, research, buy the best you can and don’t pay for functions which sound impressive but you will never really use.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 01:09:36 PM
Thanks for the great replies.

dks, top loaders are still very popular in North America. Not so much in Europe.

I have my mind set on a top loader due to restrictions of my laundry nook. It was never built with front loaders in mind.  If I bought front loaders, I would have to stack them. This would mean moving the vent. I was keen to go this route until I found out the washer door was so low that I would literally have to get on my hands and knees to get clothing in and out of it. Likewise, if I ever had to move them for anything, stacked units would be a little too heavy and unwieldy to do such. My main water valve is located on the right hand wall of the nook. With a top loader, I can just lean over it and have quick access to it should I ever need it in an emergency (knock on wood).

I am not looking forward to this, but on the 27th, I will have to be at the local Future Shop for 6 am sharp to try and get the pair that I have been eyeing all this time. It is 900 dollars off and I think now is the time to jump all over it if I can score them.  The LG WT5101HV washer, and LG DLEX5101V dryer are what I plan on getting. If I can't score them on Boxing day, then I may have to settle on a Samsung top loader pair or something.

I just did a load of cotton T-shirts, undergarments, and socks. It took me almost 2 hours to dry them with my current dryer.  If I need to repair/replace one unit, I may as well get a new pair. I know that HE top loaders aren't as efficient as front loaders, but it should be a big step up to my current units.

Here is a review of the units I hope to get.

http://www.washerdryerinfo.com/content/LG-WT5101HV-Washing-Machine.htm

http://www.washerdryerinfo.com/content/LG-DLEX5101V-Dryer.htm

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #18 on: December 25, 2011, 01:33:48 PM
I'm mostly with dks here. As in most other businesses, German brands usually rule the appliances market around here. Yet brands nowadays hides lots of company inter deals. For example: Bosch and Siemens are pretty much the some regarding domestic appliances, as they united on that front a few years ago. The classic AEG german producer had their household stuff acquired by the swedish Electrolux (which is also a good value) also some years ago.

Having said that, Miele (germain) is usually regarded as top of the line, and Bosch/Siemens are highly regarded as well.

When I bought my house, the constructor had a deal with Bosch where I could be their stuff with 20% discount. So Bosch it went. I have that stuff for 8 years now without any fault** whatsoever.

**actually the washing machine had a stoppage due to that stuff that conducts electricity to the engine wore out. That's normal, and I replaced them with a new ones myself.

Washing and drying machines are low regarded here: they usually don't wash well, neither dry well and are more prone to failures.

My washing machine has 6kg charge capacity and turns up to 1200 rpm. At maximum charge, for a 40º program, it consumes 58 liters of water and 0,65kWh, taking 130min, on the intensive program. These are very good figures! If you take out the intensive, the time is cut on about an hour.

Note that these machines are equipped with sensors which can even reduce those figures if they detect the clothes aren't so dirty.

Ok, found some pictures from when they were new...

Drying machine

Washing machine -- lol, look at the champ on the countertop, my long time buddy!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: December 25, 2011, 01:45:13 PM
Carlos, I can't see the photos. Only red Xs in a box.

Here is a photo of my laundry nook, and the limitations it is imposing on my selection. Plenty of room for two side by side large units, but the washer has about 9 inches hidden behind that small partition wall.  No issue with a top loader. Big issues with front loaders located side by side. I would get the pedestals if I went that route...but I can't.

Likewise, If I were to stack front loaders, I have just enough clearance, but depending on the unit, may or may not have access to the top front controls of the upper drier.

Yes, I have put plenty of time and thought behind this...at least since October. You can see some of my quickly removed side shelves. The main water valve is located under it next to my drain. The upper storage cabinet is not an issue, can be quickly removed if needed...but it sure is handy and would hate to see it go if I can help it.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #20 on: December 25, 2011, 08:04:20 PM
I've hosted the images on postimage but will try imgur now. Here they are:

washing machine

dryer machine

Your configuration hardly allows a front loader machine, in fact. BTW, here domestic appliances have a standard horizontal width of 60 cm / 23,6 in (a little less).

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: December 26, 2011, 02:18:02 PM
Nice set up. I think having them apart like that however would drive me up the wall.  :D

Yeah, I am stuck with top loaders. I do like them however, so it isn't much of a loss, even though I had originally wanted to try a front loader just to be different. I guess the next ones are going to be HE types, so that should be different enough for me.

Not at all happy about getting up early tomorrow and crowd surfing. I never go out on boxing day if I can help it. I just hope I am lucky enough to get the pair I want.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #22 on: December 26, 2011, 03:50:35 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

does this model wash clothes too?
can it do any other tasks?
is it some new multitool?
I hear they are expensive to maintain..

You should see some of the Reliability Issues some models have as well
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 02:32:36 PM
Update.

OMG!!! It was a very interesting experience. I went to bed early and woke up at 5 am this morning. Got to the store at 5:45. I only saw about 30 people out front standing by the door and thought to myself, well well well...this isn't half as bad as I thought it might be. Then noticed there was no parking. Puzzled, I wondered where everyone was. I had to park behind the building across the street in the Home Depot parking lot. Then I noticed a few people waiting out back. As I walked up, I quickly realized it was the end of the line. There must have been 400 people making a line from the front to the back of the building.

I thought to myself that there is no way I was going to get what I wanted, knowing that only a few washer/dryer sets were reserved for the Sault and Sudbury (Only cities that have a by-law of no stores opening on the 26th). I figured there would be a few in the first 400 that would get to them instead of me.

Door opened at 6 sharp, and the crowd went in an orderly fashion. I made a beeline to the washer and dryers only to see a few others looking at different units. I waited 12 minutes before I could accost a poor employee. He quickly took my name and address down. This got me into the paper queue, which meant I was in. 15 minutes later, I was called, data entered, money transacted, and receipt exchanged.

Very happy to have gotten the set. What a zoo. I was super lucky that I got processed so quickly. I was also going to buy an electric razor, but the lineups at the cash went to the back of the store.

Best part, they get delivered on the 3rd or 4th. I will still be on my holidays, so I can be there to receive them.

<----Does a happy dance
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:34:27 PM by Chako »

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 02:52:44 PM
Chako, glad you make it. But what was your net saving by buying on the 26th, was it worth it at least?
We traditionally don't have that 26th paranoia here, but it's starting to grow. Yesterday lots of people went on shopping crazy route, but still no stabbings or fights as in other places  :twak:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 03:03:05 PM
No nothing like that. it was all orderly and civil. I just don't like waiting in a line if I can help it.

Yes, it was worth it. I saved $900 dollars, meaning each unit sold for a sale price of only $800 each.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 04:07:57 PM
No nothing like that. it was all orderly and civil. I just don't like waiting in a line if I can help it.

Yes, it was worth it. I saved $900 dollars, meaning each unit sold for a sale price of only $800 each.

For $900 it was definitely worth getting up at 5:00 AM  :tu:

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 06:34:05 PM
Hi Dan,

Congratulations on getting the pair, I think you will be very satisfied for many years to come.  Plus, there is $ 900 left for you to spend on multi-tools!

After seeing your laundry room I can see why you needed a top loading washer. 

Bruce

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 11:41:32 PM
there's a smiley for everything, glad your all sorted :tu:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:43:42 PM by badwolf »
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 07:19:25 AM
 :cheers: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99